PDA

View Full Version : XP Home: Registry tidy up for WLAN card

The late XV105
1st Aug 2009, 15:30
Background:

Eee PC netbook 1000H
XP Home SP3
Atheros 5008 WLAN card

After upgrading the Atheros WLAN driver to gain some new functionality, the netbook encountered a bug whenever it was resumed from hibernate. I successfully fixed it, but to do so was a process of logical trial and error that required rollback and reinstall of the Atheros driver a number of times.

I then noticed that the Atheros' Device Name in Network Connections is now suffixed with #2 and (before I renamed the connection) the "WLAN successfully connected" balloon message was suffixed with #9.

I know that the latter is because I have installed and re-installed the drivers nine times and guess that the former will be because something I did during debugging caused XP to think that the original Atheros card is no longer in use and has been replaced by another.

Question:

The netbook works perfectly and is as sprightly to boot and to run as it was when new, but other than that I have some unwanted clutter in the registry is there anything I can do (the purist in me) or should do (the preventative maintainer in me) to tidy up?

TVM

green granite
1st Aug 2009, 15:54
Download CC Cleaner this will clear up some of the clutter, If you use it to clear out cookies etc tell it not to delete any that you use for auto log-on such as this site (go to options cookies and move across any you use to log in with.

CCleaner - Home (http://www.ccleaner.com/)

The late XV105
1st Aug 2009, 22:29
Thanks, green granite, but I have been a CCleaner User since the early days and also use the more deeply cleaning RegSupreme Pro. A peruse via Regedit (searching for "Atheros") shows that some of the clutter is still there but I am loathe to start simply deleting things :)