PDA

View Full Version : Transferring type ratings from PPL to CPL

Pandalet
31st Jul 2009, 15:21
As it's now after lunch on Friday, I'm not having any luck getting hold of the CAA. So, on the likely basis that someone here has already been through this, I figured I'd get a quicker answer online.

If you have a PPL with (say) 2 type ratings on it, and you get a CPL, do you have to pay extra to have all your type ratings transferred across? So, for example, if one had a PPL with ratings on R22 and R44, and one got a CPL (passing the test in a R22), would one have to pay the 'adding a type rating to a professional license' fee to get the R44 rating added to the CPL? Or do the CAA take the view that as you've already paid to have the rating added to a license, and they've already done the difficult data entry to get this info into their systems, they can issue your CPL with all the types on it to start with?

I would hope that as you're paying £231 for them to enter some details in a computer and press print (having also paid £762 for the actual skills test), the CAA aren't going to hit you for a further £116 to carry a TR over (which you've already paid £84 to add to your PPL). But I'm not holding my breath.

I can't find anything definitive in LASORs, anyone got experience of this?

VeeAny
31st Jul 2009, 15:34
When I did it with about 5 types on it was one fee.

And there I was looking forward to paying for them all again.

TiPwEiGhT
31st Jul 2009, 16:56
All type ratings on your PPL will be automatically transferred to your CPL. The type rating course is no different for PPLs or CPLs, the only difference is to use your type ratings for commercial transport you require an OPC and Line Check from your operator.

Advice, don't transfer to a Norwegian CAA JAR licence. When I did they refused to issue my licence with my 4 type ratings my UK JAR licence had, this was on the basis that they were expired, some by only 1 to 2 days. Now to get any of these ratings back on my licence I will be charged the full application fee for each of them after completing my LPC.

The N-CAA also did not give me my FI rating as I had no valid type ratings... which was not correct, AS355 and SK92 were current... so based on those being current they put my FI rating on my licence... yeah, really useful since I have never been a TRI.

Went slightly off topic there, but rant over.

TiP

thwock
31st Jul 2009, 19:00
its cheaper to put new types on a ppl,
when you have a cpl you're a professional and therefore can afford to pay more !!

TiPwEiGhT
31st Jul 2009, 20:10
apparently...