PDA

View Full Version : Lossie quickie

Pontius
31st Jul 2009, 13:42
Ahoy crustacean types :)

Just a quick question. I genuinely have a friend who is looking at buying a house to the south of Lossie. Looking at Google Earth, it looks too close to Lossie for my liking, but each to their own :eek: Anyway, can someone tell me the circuit direction for the runways. If it's left hand for the westerly runway and left hand for the north-westerly runway then I think they're buggered.

No, this is not trolling or trouble-making. It's a genuine question, 'cos I can't remember from when we used to go dropping bombs on Garvey (sp?) and raising the standards at the old RN aerodrome :}.

Griz
31st Jul 2009, 14:52
LH for all runways.

L J R
31st Jul 2009, 15:03
But have you heard the sound that 'Dave' makes? - everyone in Morayshire will hear about its every move.

Softie
31st Jul 2009, 15:04
It'll be noisy. LH circuit takes ac clear on town & harbour on downwind leg. Also JSF expected in future at Lossie only the Nimby's down south would not put up wit it.

Maxibon
31st Jul 2009, 15:28
I think I know the house you mean - Silverhills, or something of that ilk, eitherway, even the website recommends a viewing (not just an estate agent line) and with an ageing relative living not too far away, we're talking more threshold/take off noise, opposed to the circuit. Nice house though.

M

ZH875
31st Jul 2009, 15:41
Buy it, then sue the MOD for noise and damage caused by aircraft flying too close.

Well it worked for that :mad: near Wittering/Cottesmore.

Tim McLelland
31st Jul 2009, 16:18
Also JSF expected in future at Lossie only the Nimby's down south would not put up wit it.

Newquay and Cornwall CC to be precise gawd bless 'em. Not only did they succeed in getting the F-35 shoved out of their vicinity but also managed to get one of the RAF's biggest, best equipped and most strategically-placed airfields abandoned in the process - good going eh?

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to say that the F-35 (and for heaven's sake what is this "Dave" rubbish all about?) is "expected" - I think the term "possibility" might be the best you could safely say now. I'd be inclined to say "not a chance in hell" to be honest but you never know!:p

Squirrel 41
31st Jul 2009, 16:48
Tim-

The "Dave" tag for F-35 Lightning II was the result of much internal PPrune debate over the name for the F-35. It's a response to the inevitable spin of the Lightning II name - and IMHO, the collective wisdom of PPrune has played a blinder on that one.

S41

Wensleydale
31st Jul 2009, 17:06
The ideal place to buy south of Lossie is no closer than Berwick on Tweed.....:}

Aur
31st Jul 2009, 18:00
How far south? Tonka's heading to Tain actually fly south of Elgin heading east before turning North into the Firth in order to avoid Kinloss. It doesn't really matter where you are because you hear them or they are overhead.

Tim McLelland
31st Jul 2009, 18:35
Squirrel, I find the "Dave" business all rather disturbing as it seems to have already become the fashionable nickname used by every plane spotter "Anorak" in the country, rather like "Tonka" and "Tiffie" and so on. Is it just me that finds it all toe-curlingly annoying? Once would have been funny but (rather like Little Britain) it gets really sad after the umpteenth time:p

Squirrel 41
31st Jul 2009, 19:28
Tim,

If you spend your time hanging out with the spotter fraternity, then that's your choice.... but we can agree that Little Britain is certainly annoying.

S41

CirrusF
31st Jul 2009, 19:52
Also JSF expected in future at Lossie only the Nimby's down south would not put up wit it.

You obviously haven't heard the A400M yet then! Even the single-engine Snoopy version at Marshall's Airfield caused a few complaints in Cambridge. I pity the inhabitants of Lyneham...

ZH875
31st Jul 2009, 20:13
You obviously haven't heard the A400M yet then! Even the single-engine Snoopy version at Marshall's Airfield caused a few complaints in Cambridge. I pity the inhabitants of Lyneham...

By the time the A400M arrives, Lyneham will have long since closed, as closing date is around 2011/2012.

There is even the possibility that by the time it arrives, Brize Norton may well have closed.:E

Tim McLelland
31st Jul 2009, 23:48
There is even the possibility that by the time it arrives, Brize Norton may well have closed

...and the winner of the Most Ludicrous Rumour of the Week is...:p

Pontius
1st Aug 2009, 02:50
Cheers guys, answered my question admirably.

I remember, of old, there was a decent Chinese in Elgin but that is about the only positive thing I could recall (that may also have something to do with a couple of lager-top shandies which may or may not have been consumed). It was fun going out and dropping big(ish) bombs on the island and then celebrating with certain sideways-walking mates of mine who lived in a castle, close by, but living there? Mmm, certainly not for me. I prefer sunny climes and rain that falls vertically :)

I'll give the good news to our friends: expect Land Sharks (is that better Tim :ok:) overhead as they bash the circuit and, if global warming slows down a bit and IF the JSF arrives before Scotland is under water, then they can expect to collect some very noisy reggos. From Google Earth, the house looks close enough to Lossie's LH circuit that even those bomber circuits flown by the two-seat brigade will have an adverse effect on their lugholes.

Griz
1st Aug 2009, 06:42
Scotland under water?

a. The high ground is up here
b. The bottom bit of the UK is sinking (I blame the Chunnel)

The 'city' will be going to work in boats wearing a mask and flippers! You really think that wee barrier will stop it?

Tell your mates to buy and then rent it out to the refugees when the capital relocates to Edinburgh :ok:

cornish-stormrider
1st Aug 2009, 08:19
I'd recommend that you buy a place no closer than say, york. That leaves the property prices lower for when I get to go back......

As for the St Mawgan comments - if the RAF had not pulled out so drastically when 42 moved then it would not be an issue. They should have left 3 sqns of shiny loud things there and the Fookin Emmet Grockle rich second home owners would not have bought up all of Cornwall, result would have been I would not have left and could now be married and living in a quarter at st Evil and getting to surf after work every day.

Bitter and twisted - you bet. But it all comes down to poor leadership, Mil and civvy

L J R
1st Aug 2009, 08:27
Don't forget the Joanna's night club experience....

cornish-stormrider
1st Aug 2009, 11:03
Oh God.......

Thanks for that, I was desparately trying to forget. I have stuck to the carpet, again.

Griz
1st Aug 2009, 11:59
Joanna's.....another use for the mask and snorkel! :}