PDA

View Full Version : hourbuilding

DoNotTurnBack
31st Jul 2009, 07:58
g'day

dont know if this is legal,would anyone be interested in having some company while hour building?

im @ gfpt and will be going through to cpl, however i just feel like i need a hands on experience before i start my ppl.

i will also contribute financially

cheers
dntb

training wheels
31st Jul 2009, 08:08
If the other pilot is a PPL, then there's nothing illegal with it however you'll be a passenger and won't be able to log the time. To log dual, you'll need to have an instructor in the other seat.

Mere Mortal
31st Jul 2009, 12:26
[quote]i just feel like i need a hands on experience before i start my ppl.[quote]

Are you referring to flying the aeroplane or navigating?

If you mean experience flying the aeroplane, then a flight in your training area will do the job. Have plan of what you want to achieve, eg: today I will practice steep turns, tomorrow will be PFLs and the day after that, take mum and dad for a fly. I see way too many cpl students waste hour building by just aimlessly banging around the block just to get another hour towards the 70 or 100 pic.

And as for navigating. You might get your self confused after watching ol' mate ppl go thru the motions his or her way which may be very different to what you will be taught. When confusion sets in, you stuff up the nav and nowadays that stuff up will cost you 700-800 dollars.

By all means go for a look, but remember your instructor will teach you how they want it done.

Cheers MM

P.S. Did you explore the aerobatics option after your last thread?

DoNotTurnBack
1st Aug 2009, 13:50
mm g'day mate,

thanx for ur reply.
im booked to do emt and hold aero until after ppl.

i figured id rather put my limited cash i have now towards my ppl, but now not sure what ac to do it in, it would either be a pitts or a citabria.

guys and girls what would think is a better way of doing nav up to ppl, i have a chance of doing it full-time for 2wks or should i just do 1 lesson at a time.

cheers
dntb

Mere Mortal
1st Aug 2009, 15:27
Hi DNTB,
Full time over 2 weeks is good for consolidating previous lessons without big breaks in between. Make sure you get the PPL exam out of the way quick before you progress too far.

The only issues I've had teaching someone their PPL in 2 week blocks full time is the weather. There was nothing worse, ol' mate gets holidays from work, then the rain and low cloud starts on day 1 and goes thru to day 14.

So, don't be too disappointed if you can't finish in that time. At least you might get a large chunk of it done and do the rest part time.

cheers for now, MM