PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Flight School Ad.

5LY
31st Jul 2009, 04:56
Anyone find the flashing adverts. on this site as anoying as I do? I'm usually reading here in a state of jet lag from some far away place and find them a pain.:bored:

sb_sfo
31st Jul 2009, 05:12
Try Firefox with AdBlockerPlus - I don't see any ads.

Lightning6
31st Jul 2009, 05:13
Use Firefox browser with Adblock, problem solved.

Lightning6
31st Jul 2009, 05:16
sb_sfo...You beat me to it. :)

Wrong forum methinks, should be in the computers/internet users/troubleshooting forum. ;), or Jet Blast.

42psi
31st Jul 2009, 07:45
Also google IE7Pro

add-on that stops them appearing in IE.

Guest 112233
31st Jul 2009, 08:39
Yep me too - We might get the IB site owners to drop the offending ads - I can imagine a member of the target audience after a 15 hour duty period logging in for their fix of pprune getting an epileptic fit because of the strobe ads. A dose of intellect req.

CAT III

Whiskey Papa
31st Jul 2009, 10:03
Yes - cannot the offending advertisers see that flashing ads are counterproductive. it p!sses people off and sends them running for ad-blockers. A static ad is far more likely to be tolerated, even appreciated.

WP

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
31st Jul 2009, 10:25
Yes - cannot the offending advertisers see that flashing ads are counterproductive. it p!sses people off and sends them running for ad-blockers. A static ad is far more likely to be tolerated, even appreciated.

We're talking about sales-and-marketing droids, here, WP. They are totally wrapped up in the fantasy world of their own spin. Their grasp of reality is, at best, tenuous. Explaining that what they are doing is counter-productive will pass them by completely... :rolleyes:

L'aviateur
31st Jul 2009, 10:39
However, without advertising the website wouldn't operate. Unless someone would prefer to pay a subscription for access?

Another Number
31st Jul 2009, 10:41
I've always simply disabled animation ... removes that cheap "Vegas" look the internet got when it went commercial.

In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar, and set image.animation_mode to none

(Smilies will have a little less impact, though)

frostbite
31st Jul 2009, 16:48
Every time I click on a new thread I get the same naked woman pops up on the screen.

That is absolutely outrageous!

How do I change it to get different women?

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
1st Aug 2009, 10:17
However, without advertising the website wouldn't operate. Unless someone would prefer to pay a subscription for access?

OK, that's a valid PoV. However, the point we're trying to get across, is that by making the adds "stand out" (i.e. by making them flash, and otherwise be very annoying), they are irritating the very customers that they are trying to attract : so much so, that these "potential customers" are actually deploying technology to stop not just the annoying adverts, but all adverts, thus ruining it for everybody (including us, if the site eventually closes due to lack of resources). Does the phrase "killing the goose that lays the golden egg" springto mind ?

RTFM

In 20 years, on and off, of dealing with marketing types, I've rarely come across a group with a higher capacity for self-delusion (that is, believeing their own hype.) With the exception politicians, of course... :rolleyes: :ugh:

dazdaz
1st Aug 2009, 14:21
Personally I like the ads. So far I've signed up for a JAA ATPL groundschool course and after that I'm doing a Sabina flight academy (A320) type rating. Sounds fun and maybe I might be a pilot one day, taking my pick of the cc:E and dining on lobster and quaffing champers on layovers.