PDA

View Full Version : SFTC and the Last Minute Jitters

jono987
30th Jul 2009, 23:23
Hi PPRuNers.

There's so much running through my head right now, that it's difficult to collate all my thoughts and express them in mere text.

Basically, I'm an Indian who's signed up with SFTC at Bankstown and am pretty much committed to start training with them on the 15th of August. Everything was rainbows and butterflies (I've always dreamed of being a pilot. Even before it became somewhat of a 'hot career option') until I found this forum and happened to look up 'SFTC' in the search.

I must say, apart from a few sporadic "it's okay"s you guys don't have a lot of nice things to say about the place. Moreover, a bunch of talk going on about about something to do with it's merger with 'CAS' and the company being bankrupt and it selling it's 'AOC' and other such rumours connected to acronyms that I do not yet fully comprehend have managed to get me even more worked up.

Is there anyone who could give me an absolutely unbiased opinion on what exactly is the scene regarding SFTC right now? I have a lot riding on this, and can NOT afford (literally ' can not afford') to mess this up, so any inputs from you guys would be most appreciated.

-Jonathan

das Uber Soldat
30th Jul 2009, 23:28
smell that?

D-J
30th Jul 2009, 23:34
Even before it became somewhat of a 'hot career option

hmmm wanted to be a pilot since the 60's - 70's thats probably the last era is was a hot option all down hill since then :ouch:

as for sftc put in the effort & you'll get through, just be careful with those liberties :oh:

tmpffisch
30th Jul 2009, 23:43
Jono. If your dedication and work ethic is anything like your English, you'll be fine. You get out what you put in.

Once you get here, I highly recommend watching quality TV programming such as TodayTonight. You'll like reporters such as Jonathan Creek...think about it, you already have something in common with him (same name)

Joker 10
31st Jul 2009, 00:16
Incoming, Windup = Journo , be careful now

Swift6
31st Jul 2009, 00:30
Hang on, isn't Bombay now named Mumbai?

tmpffisch
31st Jul 2009, 00:38
...no no. It's still Bombay to the Indian locals.....obviously.

Atlas Shrugged
31st Jul 2009, 01:59
Interesting.......

www.sydneyflighttraining.com.au

VH-XXX
31st Jul 2009, 02:57
Jonathan, your English is absolutely impeccable for an Indian and Jonathan is an interesting native Indian name. I'm impressed at your efforts and impressed that you managed to trick atleast one fellow pruner.

Atlas Shrugged
31st Jul 2009, 03:27
Hmmm.......and nice use of a decorative font as well ! ;)

GADRIVR
31st Jul 2009, 04:31
To SFTC management,
Whats going on guys? Why aren't you paying your staff? Why isn't your website coming up? Why are students leaving and going to other schools?
Why?
:E

jono987
31st Jul 2009, 07:39
While I can (somewhat) understand the scepticism, I can not conceive the logic that would lead you all to conclude that I'm trying to 'trick' everyone regarding my identity. It makes no sense. My query was absolutely honest, and was made in hopes of an equally honest reply (which has been provided by tmpffisch to some extent. Thanks).

Does anyone else have anything to add besides just pointless argument?

STOL_king
31st Jul 2009, 09:42
Too many Australianisms- you've exceeded your allocation. A windup should be more convincing in future please...... still, a reasonable effort :D

Jabawocky
31st Jul 2009, 10:17
Sounds more Aussie than most of us :\

Fonz121
31st Jul 2009, 12:35
I know this is probably a gee up but just incase...... stay away!! Go to somewhere out of the capital cities.

smiling monkey
31st Jul 2009, 13:09
...no no. It's still Bombay to the Indian locals.....obviously.

lol! You've been had. The city is officially known as Mumbai to locals. :E

And I can assure you that "Jonathan" is not your typical Hindi name. :E

tmpffisch
31st Jul 2009, 13:19
:ugh:....I guess you couldn't detect any sarcasm. :ugh:

jono987
31st Jul 2009, 15:45
A country of over a billion, colonised once by the Brits and you assume that none of us would be able to speak the language, or (our ancestors) be converted to Christianity and fall into the practice of being given Christian names.

And really, wouldn't a journalist just actually pander to your cookie cutter predispositions of an Indian?

Either way, I give up.

FourBalls
31st Jul 2009, 23:34
Why are people soo unkind?:E

das Uber Soldat
1st Aug 2009, 00:41
he's a tenacious little bugger this one aint he. :E

sms777
1st Aug 2009, 04:48
That's the way son....bit of fair dinkum aussie lingo will sure confuse the hell out of him. :D

GA715
1st Aug 2009, 05:55
imo there's probably people pm'ing him as we speak. :suspect:

On a side note, while on the mobil ground freq a couple of days ago, I heard a liberty being denied fuel, something wrong being with the account or something. Meh.. dunno what to make of it. :hmm:

das Uber Soldat
1st Aug 2009, 06:27
They've been kicked off their last fuel supplier, shell i think, and have gone back to mobil. Mobil only fuels them however if their account is in credit. Hence the rejection.

Gotta feel for those instructors, they haven't been paid since may.

May.

bizzybody
1st Aug 2009, 06:48
im not trying to pick a fight but are you sure the instructors have not been paid for that long? i mean only a ****** would still be working there if they have not been paid and for that amount of time.....

GADRIVR
5th Aug 2009, 01:18
Bizzybody......grow up! I know instructors who have been promised on multiple occasions that they will be paid.....and aren't!
The school owners should thank their lucky stars that the staff don't walk out enmasse over their predicament.
Typical bloody sausage factory.:ugh:

bizzybody
5th Aug 2009, 05:14
Excuse Me????? Grow up??? why stay at a place on the promise of getting paid.... then another promise.......aaaaaaaand another......... how may chances do you give them.

The owner is very lucky that they have not walked out and to honest iif i were there i would have walked out.

bizzybody
5th Aug 2009, 10:29
me??? no i dont.never had a flying school and never had an instructor rating. I once new someone that was going to be their chief pilot a while back thats about it but i dont know if it worked out for him

Dragun
5th Aug 2009, 11:17
Interesting first question in the FAQ section of the website. Are they serious?

FAQ : Sydney Flight Training Centre (http://www.sydneyflighttraining.com.au/?page_id=129)

SOPS
5th Aug 2009, 11:23
If you are bringing your guitar...dont come on United..as we all know United breaks guitars.:E

tmpffisch
5th Aug 2009, 11:25
hahahaha, first thing I asked my instructor on the TIF was can I bring my guitar along and if I need a first aid kit...:D

KRUSTY 34
5th Aug 2009, 20:16
Now this bloke sounds (reads) like a foreign student.

Take note Johnno!:ok:

GA715
6th Aug 2009, 12:46
:hmm: so what's new at this place? Rumours are running wild that a couple of students were kicked out for making comments on facebook! BAHAHA Thats gold.

I'm going to go try find out what was "apparently" said. Will report back.

maniac_notty
6th Aug 2009, 13:41
you are right!is just silly little things.:ok:

jono987
16th Aug 2009, 17:36
For the record, I didn't join.

das Uber Soldat
17th Aug 2009, 00:20
thats great new jono, we're all excited for you.

:rolleyes:

GA715
20th Sep 2009, 08:01
That you decided to not join SFTC. They would have loved to have you there...

To all Students,
As you are all aware there has been a considerable reduction in new students coming to SFTC. Whilst this is largely due to our off shore agent failing to recruit new students as contracted and a down turn in the economy, it has also been affected, of late, by negative publicity being generated by some of our current students. This sort of negative publicity significantly reduces the likelihood of new students choosing SFTC to do their pilot training. The introduction of the Fuel Maintenance Insurance Charge, as was explained in the letter you all received, has been put in place largely due to the lack of new students. The FMI will be reduced or remove entirely as soon as this situation improves. However, if potential students are turned away by our current students, who have to pay the FMI, the FMI will only stay in place longer. That is not our desire.

Despite the current economic situation, there are still many individuals, like you, who have a strong desire to be a pilot. I ask you to think about the equipment you are given to fly, the facilities you have access to, and the accommodation and transport facility that NO other school offers. We need your support in promoting your school to your friends or acquaintances that may be interested in doing their pilot training. We are working extremely hard to recruit new students however our efforts are being hampered by this negative publicity which ultimately affects all of you and only serves to lengthens the period of financial burden. If you would like to recommend any students to SFTC please pass me their contact details or send them my email address and I will forward the course material. You are our best promoters :)

Our next CPL course dates are 5 October, 9 November, 11 January and 1 March 2010. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and Fly Safe,

:= so to all you posters that have bagged SFTC, you guys should be ashamed, you have no strong desire to become pilots.

It is clearly, crystal clear, that whatever the situation maybe it is not the fault of SFTC. It's not like they accepted money to be paid upfront. :oh:

To prospective students, I implore you to join SFTC. :E

WIKI44
20th Sep 2009, 15:27
dude you are pathetic. I wonder if you are the same student who was kicked out for the FB comments?

Every single one of your posts is clearly riddled with bias and animosity towards SFTC. Whilst, I disagree with some of the things that are happening at the school and the decisions the operator is implementing, it is another thing to have a hearty laugh at the misfortunes of others and actively trying to discredit an organization.

You are using the veil of anonymity to further your own agenda. You are disgraceful.

muffman
20th Sep 2009, 16:26
GA715/Wannabe :=
A lot of aviation companies are doing it tough right now and it's not in anybody's interests to take glee in their misfortune. If they do collapse, it's bad for everyone in the industry.

Charlie Foxtrot India
20th Sep 2009, 16:32
Just curious, what is a Fuel Maintenance Insurance charge? IS this not already factored into the price? :confused:

GA715
20th Sep 2009, 16:38
Yes yes, you can call me pathetic, disgraceful whatever to your hearts content. I have been contemplating on engaging you but tbh SFTC is just a small side thing, not really worth the effort.

Look if what I write really invokes so much pain, don't read it. I'm pretty sure there's an ignore function. Secondly if anything that I have posted is deemed inappropriate by the mods then I absolutely have no objections to it being removed.

edit: muffman, yes I am down the chain, I guess it is from this position that I have failed to see that in hindsight it was not good to glee at the misfortune of others. I really didnt think it'd be taken this seriously. :ouch:

GA715
20th Sep 2009, 16:42
Just for the record, wiki44 if you are implying that I'm the student that got kicked out for the facebook thing, I'm not.

AFAIK, I know that his gone to the courts or whatever regarding it.

Oz_TB10
20th Sep 2009, 17:16
Little birdie a.k.a the Townsville Refueler told me a malaysian school has bought a big chunk of SFTC and already has 2 batches there.

Any hits?

WIKI44
20th Sep 2009, 17:52
It is not a question of ignoring you. What I resent is the fact that 90% of your posts are about the operator in question, and in each and every one you are attempting to discredit them. While this is an open forum for all to express and discuss their views, your snippets of insight into the operations of the said operator are nothing but a concerted campaign to tarnish their reputation . Not only that, but you go further, and display glee at the difficult situation facing the excellent group of people working and training at SFTC.

" I really didnt think it'd be taken this seriously"

What on earth did you expect? Was everyone supposed to have a good chuckle?

GA715
20th Sep 2009, 18:45
Why yes wiki44, everyone was suppose to have a good chuckle.

Obviously this topic has touched your nerves some what, judging by your old posts you have a very strong affiliation with SFTC.. being a past student from india and then doing your instructor rating..

Anyways I understand that you are venting and I myself have no intention of escalating this.

BUT have you taken the opportunity to digest what was actually sent out to ALL the students?

Basically asking of them to promote the school so that they don't have to pay FMI?

You see, I actually got confused here. It was to my understanding that if anything had a good reputation, without a doubt word would automatically spread, you don't need telling for that v.v. or is this just about telling students to recruit so that someone else can foot the FMI? wait now that sounds awfully similiar to a pyramid scheme. Would really suck to be that new recruit.

Once again as muffman has identified me, I am just a wannabe, if anyone feels that they can help me see the picture clearer, then I am all ears.
For now though, I am sorry but thats how I see things.

das Uber Soldat
20th Sep 2009, 20:53
Some of the instructors at SFTC are great. But the situation there is now utterly ridiculous.

So the instructors teaching the Malaysians, they're getting paid. The ones still on the Indians, they're not. How you can have a work environment like that is utterly beyond me.

Further, this wonderful operator has decided to demand thousands of dollars from ex instructors in a desperate bid for cash that reeks of opportunism as the amounts are below what I'd call a threshold for contesting in court due costs.

Tarnish the reputation? Are you kidding?

You can't tarnish black.

GADRIVR
20th Sep 2009, 23:52
Hey Das Uber....you wouldn't be coming over to my side per chance???!!:D

MLW10
21st Sep 2009, 00:02
Further, this wonderful operator has decided to demand thousands of dollars from ex instructors in a desperate bid for cash...

Really? Intriguing.