PDA

View Full Version : Post-Graduation "Gap Years"

imarkd
30th Jul 2009, 22:06
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice from the Aviation community: I'm going to graduate next year from Uni after studying for a 5-year Masters in Aerospace Engineering. I'm currently in two minds with my next step. I know I definitely want to be an airline pilot, taking my PPL alongside my studies has only helped to reinforce this, however having been in Education for quite a while now, I'd like to do something other than learning for a bit.

Basically, I have just returned from Japan, and had a brilliant time over there. Because of the recession pushing the chances of getting into the right hand seat being pushed back even further than most of us first though and the ability to acquire funding at this point in time being relatively difficult, I am now considering waiting another year before applying to FTOs in order to spend a year in Japan teaching English, and learning a little Japanese along the way.

My question is then, do you foresee this having a negative impact on my chances of getting accepted by an FTO i.e. would taking a year out show a lack of commitment to my chosen career path by not pursuing a place in FTOs immediately?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

bucket_and_spade
30th Jul 2009, 23:38
Nope, not at all. Took a gap year before university myself - applied to a cadet scheme at a well-known UK FTO and got a spot. Popped out the other end and have been fllying twin jets for a well-known UK charter company for about 18 months now.

Everyone on my course had varied backgrounds - a good mate on the course taught English in Japan after uni. He's recently finished a TR on the 737 and is line training with a UK loco carrier as we speak.

No hindrance at all, especially if you're doing something constructive, like you intend to.

B&S :ok:

Donalk
31st Jul 2009, 07:39
The only thing likely to impact negatively on your chances of being accepted by an FTO would be a lack of funds. After 5 years in full time education a year out, gaining life experience, is a very good plan and will stand you in good stead for the future.

Your post displays a thought process which is both mature and measured - with these attributes you will do well.

thetimesreader84
31st Jul 2009, 16:00
On a similar note, would a year out cause any issues as regards security / CRC checks?

For example, If i went travelling around Australia for a year, without any particular job (i.e. casual jobs, if any), would that prevent me from getting an RZ pass?

TTR

redsnail
31st Jul 2009, 18:12
Just keep proof of when you left and returned is the minimum, such as tickets or stamps in passports. Ideally, furnish some hotel or fuel receipts etc and other such evidence of your movements but it's not completely necessary.

Disclosure Scotland understand holidays.

bucket_and_spade
1st Aug 2009, 20:42
Yeah, defo worth trying to get a bit of documentation as regards where you are and what you're doing if possible. The mate I mentioned above had a few niggles because of a lack of documents - it wasn't a stopper for him but just a bit of extra hassle.