PDA

View Full Version : Flying in California

Coldbear
30th Jul 2009, 19:44
Hey,

I am thinking about going to LA for about a year to fly. I currently live in Denmark. I hold a JAA fATPL with the usual ME/IR.

How easy is it to convert to a FAA cert.? can I hold both the JAA and a FAA cert. at the same time?

The flying I am thinking about is GA flying, which is pretty much dead here in europe. I was thinking about flying from either Santa Monica airport or Van Nuys.

Does anyone know about the possibility of becomming a Flight Instuctor?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

SNS3Guppy
31st Jul 2009, 01:14
Martin,

You can certainly convert your certification without much difficulty; others can lend you the particulars. Finding work in the US is another matter. Aside from issues relating to obtaining a visa to work in the US, you'll find that there's very little work to be had. Most flight schools don't have the business, and are reluctant to hire save for their own students.

Yes, you can obtain flight training for pilot or flight instructor certification while you're in the US, but I'd contact the flight school directly before you go in order to save on time and headaches with some of the requirements that are in effect now. Since September 11, 2001, the flight training environment in the US has changed somewhat, and additional requirements exist relating to security, for foreign students. If you're obtaining a flight instructor certificate this will apply to you.

Yes, you can hold both JAA and FAA certification. Not at all a problem. FAA certification based on foreign certification is subject to renewal, and you'll need to maintain an FAA medical certificate.

MarkerInbound
31st Jul 2009, 04:17
Actually, getting the CFI, TSA doesn't care. Below 12,500 pounds they only worry about Rec, Sport or Private training - learning to fly, ME - learning complex stuff and Instrument - being able to fly IFR. PVT to COM they don't care because in their eyes you're not learning how to fly anything new and the CFI isn't really learning to fly, it's learning how to talk while flying and learning how to survive while someone is paying you to let them try to kill you.

Coldbear
4th Aug 2009, 21:13
Thanks guys for the great response.

Martin

englishal
4th Aug 2009, 22:12
...but to convert to become a FI you will need to do the FAA IR/ME as well as CPL so TSA requirements will apply to you. You couldn't add the FI to a foreign licence.

SNS3Guppy
5th Aug 2009, 01:14
...but to convert to become a FI you will need to do the FAA IR/ME as well as CPL so TSA requirements will apply to you.

If by IR/ME you mean the airplane instrument rating and an airplane multi engine rating, it's a yes, and a no. The instrument rating will be required, but you don't need a multi engine rating unless you're seeking multi engine instructor privileges.

14 CFR 61.83:
§ 61.183 Eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;

(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:

(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

(2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for—

(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;

(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or

(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructing listed in §61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test;

(e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in §61.185(a)(1) of this part, unless the applicant:

(1) Holds a flight instructor certificate or ground instructor certificate issued under this part;

(2) Holds a current teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or

(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.185(a)(2) and (a)(3) of this part that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought;

(g) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed in §61.187(b) of this part, appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought;

(h) Pass the required practical test that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought in an:

(1) Aircraft that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the aircraft rating sought; or

(2) Flight simulator or approved flight training device that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the rating sought, and used in accordance with a course at a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

(i) Accomplish the following for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane or a glider rating:

(1) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor indicating that the applicant is competent and possesses instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures after providing the applicant with flight training in those training areas in an airplane or glider, as appropriate, that is certificated for spins; and

(2) Demonstrate instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures. However, upon presentation of the endorsement specified in paragraph (i)(1) of this section an examiner may accept that endorsement as satisfactory evidence of instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures for the practical test, provided that the practical test is not a retest as a result of the applicant failing the previous test for deficiencies in the knowledge or skill of stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery instructional procedures. If the retest is a result of deficiencies in the ability of an applicant to demonstrate knowledge or skill of stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery instructional procedures, the examiner must test the person on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery instructional procedures in an airplane or glider, as appropriate, that is certificated for spins;

(j) Log at least 15 hours as pilot in command in the category and class of aircraft that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

(k) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the flight instructor rating sought.