PDA

View Full Version : How to Start a Flight School

bluehawaii
30th Jul 2009, 00:52
Ladies and Gents, does anybody have information on how to start a flight school?

Tinstaafl
30th Jul 2009, 04:57
A school in the US, I presume from your language & location info. The short version for Part 61:

* Get a flight instructor certificate appropriate to the type of instruction you wish to do
* Get access to an appropriate aircraft & maintenance for it
* Get liability/professional indemnity/accident insurance
* Get access to some sort of facility(s) for any ground training & theory exams
* Pick an airport(s) & hang out your shingle. In other words, get some students.

bluehawaii
30th Jul 2009, 16:13
Thanks Tinstaafl.

MikeK
30th Jul 2009, 23:12
Its very easy to make a small fortune starting a flight school. Just start with a large fortune. That's not really sarcasm. That's from someone with the flight school probably doing better in the USA than anyone. So many schools have gone out of business lately, it's scary. Believe me, there are much better investments.

Keygrip
31st Jul 2009, 03:23
MikeK - if you insist on using such an old joke, please take the time to get it right.

I followed a path, by the way. Nine PPRuNe names from that IP address. Please don't go considering the idea that you will be able to get away with reams of self promotion for your own school.

INNflight
31st Jul 2009, 10:15
*grabs popcorn* :ok:

JFA CEO
26th Dec 2010, 00:09
I am doing early research on the in's and out's of starting a flight school and I would like to know if anyone can answer a question. Will I need to get permission from the managing FBO and/or aviation authority to operate my business? I ask because I assume that an FBO w/flight training services might not want new competition stealing their students.

captainsuperstorm
26th Dec 2010, 01:26
I opened my own flight school in 1999 and it took me 5 minutes only, not kidding!!!.
with my CFI ticket I went down to a small FBO, and asked if they have planes for rent.

on the desk there were binders of 2-3 planes, just drop your cheque when you finish to fly (70$ for a 172). I don't remember if I did a check out with the owner.

then I hanged around the worst flight schools in USA with business card telling them with me they can fly everyday and quality of instruction is at the level of Top gun pilots!(which was totally true) .

and voila, in 3 days, I became rich ad famous, and didn't invest 1$, even FAA flight examiners were happy!.

Johnny Bekkestad
26th Dec 2010, 16:26
You make is sound so easy! And it is... ;)
But my question is what you did when you had to sign off your student for a solo, what did you tell the FBO etc...

captainsuperstorm
27th Dec 2010, 01:16
FBO doesn't care as long students are signed off by a CFI(not their business anyway).
FBO keep the plane and make money by selling fuel and the owner rents the plane to the students.
You have to be sure that your students got proper insurance and the plane too.Check with owner.

yes, easier than in JARland as FAA flight instructor can teach without being attached to a flight school.

You won't make lot of money, but it' s a good start if you want teach a few hours a month. the only problem is with non US student as they need TSA clearance. I can not help you on this.