PDA

View Full Version : The RAF as a career today.

John Stapleton
29th Jul 2009, 21:45
I couldn't think of anything better than to fly fast jets or even transport aircraft for the RAF and the fact that everything is paid for and there is a sense of secruity is a big part of it when considering career options and the state of the airline industry today. However I am not sure whether I want that 'way of life'. I know people say that if you dont want it 110%, then you will not get through selection/training.

I need some opinions on my attitude towards joining the military. People have said to me before that if I have ANY doubt about wanting to join, then don't bother but I'm after some more constructive advice. I can't think of anything better than flying fast jets on military ops but at the same time I would love to drive home from heathrow knowing that I can go fishing that evening or meet up with some people at the pub etc. I want to live knowing that if I want to leave my job I can, if I want to move house I can etc etc.

I apologise for the vagueness of this question and would like to hear any opinions or advice on my views

minigundiplomat
29th Jul 2009, 21:51
If you'd prefer to spend the evening fishing, playing golf etc rather than arguing about which of the DVD's you've already seen a hundred times you want to watch, or arguing about who took the last can of purple fanta out of the fridge and didnt replace it (knowing this scene will be repeated for anything from 2-6 months), then you already know the answer to your question.

Throb@30wCPDLC
29th Jul 2009, 21:59
You have answered your own question..any doubts...don`t even bother applying.
A minimum of 3 years extremely hard work and relentless pressure will
sort out the faint hearted......then....you have to make it on the Squadron..
If you do all that you will have the best time of your life.You cannot replicate the RAF/WAFU flying anywhere alse in the world.
Question is...How badly do you want "it"?

Over to you....

Good luck.

Griz
29th Jul 2009, 22:15
Try it, you may find you like it and rise to the challenge. If it not for you then you can withdraw from training relatively quickly. On the other hand, spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if.......?'

GPMG
29th Jul 2009, 22:22
Spot on Griz, at the age that John is probably at, he can be allowed a few 'what if's?'
But John, once you make the decision I believe that you will have to be 100% commited to your goal. In most cases you will never regret trying something as long as you gave it your best effort, but you will not regret trying something (unless it involve ladyboys in Thailand probably :) ).

By the way, there is no such thing as 101% or 110%, those terms are just hyperbole, and let your colleages or interviewers know that your other standards are possibly questionable.

Cannot believe that I wasted 5 minutes on this tw@t (tw@t). Is he the same moron that makes similar names as other posters and then writes complete twaddle?

Aerouk
29th Jul 2009, 23:55
An airline job wouldn't guarantee you could go home at night and enjoy a bit of fishing either though, especially if they decide to send you abroad to work.

Chugalug2
29th Jul 2009, 23:59
John, just about everyone of your age is preoccupied with "me", indeed a great many people never move on from that preoccupation. Some of those who have posted here imply that they were never thus preoccupied. Somehow I doubt that. It will be the RAF, or any of the Services, that would have changed their way of thinking. It will change yours too, unless you truly are the square peg that no amount of training will make round. I have very little idea of what modern service life entails these days other than a great deal of it is done in sunny climes, but the essentials will not have changed greatly since my day. Instead of "me" you will learn the sense of pride and pleasure in what "we" can achieve together. It will make you into a better human being, more caring and considerate of others, and you will achieve far more as a person than settling for Heathrow and Fishing. Oh, a bone to pick with you though, what's with the "even transport aircraft" bit? As an ex-Truckie I am proud of the importance of the work that those who inherited my role do now (and often with the very same aircraft), along with their Rotary brethren. It is there that the heart of the modern RAF beats I would suggest. So having alienated all the FJ's and the Nigels I'll shuffle off in my slippers and wish you good luck whatever you go for. :ok:

Melchett01
30th Jul 2009, 11:38
I think the others have just about summed it up quite nicely - you are at an age where 'what if' is a perfectly valid question. If you weren't asking that question, then it would be a little concerning given that you are trying to plan what could be the rest of your life. So much so, that it is a question that they even ask during the interviews at OASC - what will you do if you aren't successful?

However, it is also something that the recruiting process will be able to spot a mile off and could count against you depending on numbers, competition etc. Then again, I know of individuals that didn't even consider the military until their freshers fair at uni and happened to stumble across the RAF stand whilst waiting for a gap to open up at another stand! And they are now flying. So it can be done, don't worry too much about the 'what ifs' just make sure you can justify your actions if you do decide to apply.

As for service life, it's a pain in the arse. We're underfunded, undermanned and under-resourced. You will work long hours for an ok-ish salary (I say ok as you would earn a lot more in civvie street for a comparable level of responsibility) and as the RAF gets smaller, promotion chances get slimmer and slimmer. You will get sent away on ops - frequently - and people will try to kill you. When you're at home, you will think your in-tray couldn't possibly get much higher and your boss will show you it can. You will go home frustrated, tired and annoyed because you will have to repeat it all again tomorrow.

And then you'll smile and remember what it is really about. And it isn't promotion, getting rich, sucking up to the boss in the attempt to get a better report to try and get promoted this year.

You remember that you have some outstanding mates who will dig you out of the **** regardless of the circumstances - I had a huge lump in my throat on my last dining out when one of my best mates told be he didn't care if I was under fire, if I needed to be rescued, he would put his cab in anywhere to get me out - you won't get that in civvie street.

You think back to when you were under fire and wondering if this was it. And then you remember how alive you felt when you were on ops, that you were doing something that mattered - screwing up your secondary duties or filing your security paperwork late really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

You think back to the time you went on AT, and a bunch of you stood at the top of a ski run, looked down it and all the locals going down it. And then decided that the black, off-piste, up-to-your-waist powder looked more fun, and proceeded to try and kill yourselves doing that whilst the locals looked on wondering what planet you were on.

And there will be plenty of happy hours that last well into the small hours - the Doc really wouldn't approve of such hijinks as binge drinking isn't good for you. Until you tell him to wind his neck in and get another round in.

Oh and if you can find another job that gives you 6 weeks leave for an equal amount of money - can you let us know???

In short, it's a pain in the arse. When it sucks, it really sucks. It's probably 10 times worse than anything you will get in civvie street. But when its fun - damn its fun and is probably 100 times better than anything you will get in civvie street. And that's probably why the majority of people on this site go home every day and grumble, moan and complain, and then get up again every day to go back and do it all again!

scarecrow450
30th Jul 2009, 12:48
When I joined up I was'nt thinking of fishing or drinking with my mates down the pub. I was only thinking of getting in, getting through basic training and getting through trade training.
I did it, and enjoyed every single one of my 12 yrs in(yes I know get some time in !).
If you have any doubts then walk to the CIO and keep walking past it !

As to Melchett 01's post you will never get a better bunch of mates anywere in civvy street, they will last you a lifetime.

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 13:14
I can't think of anything better than flying fast jets on military ops but at the same time I would love to drive home from heathrow knowing that I can go fishing that evening or meet up with some people at the pub etc. I want to live knowing that if I want to leave my job I can, if I want to move house I can etc etc.You or your alter ego posted exactly the same question here on 8th September 2008 (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/342347-military-life-motivation.html#post4380704), under the user-name SparksFlyHigh.

You didn't like what you were told then, so let's see if you like it any more now? :ok:

Chugalug2
30th Jul 2009, 13:42
Well spotted AA, and thanks for the link, an engrossing "can't tear my eyes away until I get to the end" thread if ever there was one. For myself I simply feel used and betrayed and I'm going to stamp my foot until I'm feeling better! "Staff Announcement, could PPRuNe Pop please attend to a serious troll spill in aisle 24, thankyou". I half expected to find a similarly engrossing post from me as the one posted here, which of course would have been completely forgotten about, a trait that is becoming all to predictable these days. I have to tell you now that no such post exists there and consequently a feeling of utter despair has mercifully been avoided, this time at least.

johnfairr
30th Jul 2009, 13:50
Well done AA, I had a feeling that the contents seemed somewhat familiar.

As for a troll, well it could be a spot of "secret-shopping" by the morale police of the land, looking for evidence that everyone thinks the RAF is just fine and there is no need to change anything, because that might cost money that the MoD hasn't got?? :hmm:

threeputt
30th Jul 2009, 13:50
You're right, good spot, he spelt security wrong in both (secruity!).

3P:ok:

foldingwings
30th Jul 2009, 15:14
JS,

****:}! You have been sprung by brighter blokes than you.

You are neither needed nor wanted!

Having worked within the training system at Cranwell, I can vouch that on your showing so far you would soon be found out for what you are and shown the door.

I don't think the airlines need you either! So try plumbing, they make good conmen!

Foldie

PS. Hang on! Your Con failed, try road sweeping!

Mick Strigg
30th Jul 2009, 15:26
Join the Navy, then you can do plenty of fishing and drink beer all over the world!

Simples!

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 15:26
Of course, it's entirely possible SFH and JS are both trolls - SFH kept it going quite a long time on the last outing - and notably, has since either been deleted by the mods, or has cancelled his Pprune user name/account, and this is JS's first, and to date, only post.

I smell fish...:8

PPRuNe Pop
30th Jul 2009, 16:23
I am closing the thread. There is no more to be said. He doesn't deserve our time - AGAIN and ......he won't get it either.