PDA

View Full Version : A380 in heavy landing at Oshkosh

ZEEBEE
29th Jul 2009, 16:13
Pretty hairy arrival in a firm crosswind at the fly in left a few people gasping and reaching for their cameras.

The wing flex is something to behold.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/EAAAirVenture2009_AirbusA380_HardLanding_200850-1.htmlEAA AirVenture 2009 Video Series: Airbus A380 Hard Landing (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/EAAAirVenture2009_AirbusA380_HardLanding_200850-1.html)

Keg
29th Jul 2009, 21:56
Absolutely perfect aim point retention though.....right up until the time they flew into it! :}

(Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!). :ok:

fourholes
29th Jul 2009, 22:21
Crikey! that has got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen!

The landing was a shocker too:}

training wheels
29th Jul 2009, 22:24
You mean they were actually hand flying it? ;)

Dragun
29th Jul 2009, 22:46
haha nice one fourholes :ok:

Feather #3
29th Jul 2009, 23:08
Yes, Keg, so true.

In my x/wind briefings, I used to ask command trainees what was the most important thing in a x/wind landing. They would come up with speed margin, positioning of the flight deck relative to the centreline , application of rudder, wings level with aileron, etc, etc!

Then in red capitals across the top of the board, I'd write one simple word;
[B]FLARE!

Have a look at the video.

G'day ;)

Jabawocky
29th Jul 2009, 23:41
Feather#3 ... thats exactly what I thought the first time I saw it.....and I know nuffin about landing big jets.....:)

I would say they learned to flare in the TB10's......just forgot when the computers said hand fly it yaself!!!:}

PS Edit: Just watched it again, he does flare a bit over the body angle of the approach.... but clearly not enough sooner. Mind you he did keep it on the runway......I am not sure it would have been reusable if that was me :uhoh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Jul 2009, 00:33
The Capt musta been a ex-navy carrier jock!

Flare to land? = Squat to pee!

Dr :8

PS: Looks to me like he just fell outta the sky. We have all done it - perhaps not with such a big audience!

Capt_SNAFU
30th Jul 2009, 00:43
It was a cruncher but I guess a 2400m x 45m wide RWY is looking pretty small when used to seeing 3500 x 60m Rwys.:eek: But then again who hasn't buried one before or who won't bury one tomorrow. :ouch:

I bet as soon as he started to retard the thrust levers he thought

"OH :mad::mad:"

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Jul 2009, 00:43
ohhh, I dunno. SLF sure feels like that in the back of some 73 redrat arrivals:}

D-J
30th Jul 2009, 00:53
I love this quote :}

"looks like the aircraft will probably still be usable"

campdoag
30th Jul 2009, 02:39
I think old mate Dan is a bit of a tosser... PIO?? i'd say he was just working to keep it on the runway. check how close the LH main gear assembly gets to the RWY edge

blueloo
30th Jul 2009, 02:58
FFS - lucky I dont have a camera filming all my landings or that dumb arsed commentator would be continually banging on about my Pilot induced bone jarring crunchers, bouncers, waggling wings, falling off wings, oscillations, general f-ups. It really is a veritable rollercoaster with me at the controls!

Capn Bloggs
30th Jul 2009, 03:07
Dan's a wank@r. Firm but not hard. A one point sixer, I'd say. Needed a bit more of a boot at the flare. One of those occasions where you flare the right amount but the machine just keeps going down, or perhaps his Visual Aim Point technique needs a bit of work...:}

Wally Mk2
30th Jul 2009, 03:08
Great link tnxs guys, great footage just goes to show that with all the sophistication with all the training with all the expertise available today the pilot simply made a bad landing, he's human just like the rest of us:ok: It's obvious to me though that his sink rate was high enough not to be able to arrest it at the last moment. Don't forget this airframe would have been light too not at MLW. I've seen bad x-wing ldg's many a time (as we all have (on You-Tube) notice no attempt to put the left wheel assemblies down first even slightly to reduce the overall impact, a technique used by every sized A/C at times. Still am sure the airframe will get a closer than normal inspection for creases by everyone who goes anywwhere near it

Wmk2:)

VH-XXX
30th Jul 2009, 03:40
Which member of the Royal Family was it that did the hard landing in the Royal BAE146? Prince Phillip? From memory he wasn't used to the skinnier than normal runway and with the whole illusion thing smacked her down pretty hard and as such lost his flying privelages...... who has a good memory?

Section28- BE
30th Jul 2009, 04:32
Giday XXX

Was it not Prince Phillip's eldest son???? in Scotland, maybe- could be wrong...

S28- BE

Fratemate
30th Jul 2009, 04:59
Got to agree with Capmdaog; there's no PIO there. He took off left rudder (put on right) to align the nose with the runway after touchdown and then re-applied left rudder to keep the machine going down the centreline. If he didn't do the first, then he'd go left off the runway after landing and if he didn't do the second he'd go right. There's two deliberate rudder inputs, and that does not constitute PIO.

So we've got an armchair expert, who is not type rated on the A380 (but the B777), using terms he clearly does not understand. No wonder it took me only one weekend and the biggest joke of multi-choice technical tests to get my FAA ATPL; my knowledge must be brilliant if he's the standard required :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a very positive touchdown and he MAY have taken the power off a bit too early (I don't KNOW because I don't fly the A380) but it's in the right place on a limiting runway and, presumably, at the right speed. I've seen harder in my military days :}

PS: I'd be really worried if the wings didn't flex.

PPS: Prince Charles. Queen's Flight BAe 146. Islay (Scotland). 29 Jun 1994.

Plastic fantastic
30th Jul 2009, 06:12
I have just dumped planes without much flare on short runways and it may have looked somewhat spectacular but, not as spectacular as running off the end.Probably flown by the company test pilots who are known for their concentration on the main goal rather than making it look good for the fans. The wings would flex quite a bit more than a 777 or any twin because of the outboard engine. The very wide wingspan would make the tips flex quite an amount and it would appear excessive to the inexperienced. Not many 380s in the US

Fratemate
30th Jul 2009, 06:26
notice no attempt to put the left wheel assemblies down first even slightly to reduce the overall impact

That is NOT a technique used on the 380

Nor the 747, not unless you want to scrape a pod. Kick off the drift and keep the wings level or just keep the wings level and land with the crab still on. Both valid Boeing 747 techniques, whereas landing wing-down (wheel assemblies down) isn't.

Short_Circuit
30th Jul 2009, 06:59
notice no attempt to put the left wheel assemblies down first even slightly to reduce the overall impact

Nor the 747, not unless you want to scrape a pod.
or punch the wing gear through the top of the wing like the 747.

maui
30th Jul 2009, 07:18
Now if he had just learned and used the Jacobsen Flare, all would have worked out OK.

Wouldn't it :rolleyes:

Goat Whisperer
30th Jul 2009, 07:28
Jacobsen Flare??

Isn't that a cut of trouser?

Fratemate
30th Jul 2009, 07:48
or punch the wing gear through the top of the wing like the 747

Sorry mate, don't understand what you're trying to say. Wally Mk 2 points out that no attempt was made to put the upwind side of the aircraft on the ground first to help counter the effect of the crosswind, as "a technique used by every sized A/C at times". A380-800 Driver tells us this is not the case in the A380 and I agree it is not a technique used on the 747, thereby showing the technique is not "used by every sized A/C at times" and that there was nothing wrong with the way the Oshkosh driver landed with his wings level.

If you're telling me that I am mistaken in my understanding of 747 crosswind landing techniques then let's not bog down this thread but start a Tech Log thread and ask along the other pilots with several thousand hours in them.

Wally Mk2
30th Jul 2009, 09:06
Whether the technique not to use the traditional method of ldg in a x-wind IE: into wing U/C down first is academic 'cause it IS used a lot whether intentionally or not. You Tube show many such ldg's in wing mounted pod engined craft.
I used to spend many an hour at Tulla in a previous life watching the heavy metal "arrive" in x-wind situations, you could write a book on the amount of different ways these these so called experts where trying to slam down a few hundred tonnes of almost out of control metal inc QF not just the Asian jobs!

Wmk2

Critical Reynolds No
30th Jul 2009, 09:15
Old McDonnel had a farm P I P I O

mickk
30th Jul 2009, 09:17
Whats the rego, I aint getting on that. I reckon thats had years of flex in one go.

training wheels
30th Jul 2009, 10:33
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's PIO?

training wheels
30th Jul 2009, 10:50
Pilot Induced Oscillations

Ah .. I see. Thanks for that.

j3pipercub
30th Jul 2009, 11:35
Thanks Training wheels, I too was sitting here thining wtf?

Avid Aviator
30th Jul 2009, 12:13
Book procedure:

flare
rudder to align with centreline
aileron to keep wings level
land

My usual technique:

land
rudder
flare
level wings

With apologies to those I've plagarised this from!

But seriously - B747 Flight Crew training manual (Boeing version) says not to put wing down into wind. I suspect A380 is the same. 7 degrees AofB I think from memory before pod strike - not worth the risk for a smoother touch down!!

framer
30th Jul 2009, 13:53
My usual technique:

land
rudder
flare
level wings
:D:D:ok:
Love it.

Runaway Gun
30th Jul 2009, 22:11
"It looks like the airplane is PROBABLY gonna be useable" ???

Come on - it wasn't that bad.

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Jul 2009, 22:24
Not to forget...She would be as light as....regardless of size, that is a lot of flying surface with very little to do but go with the wind. Good Job to the PF:ok:
I reckon you gotta get it solidly planted before all the little goodies start doing their thing to turn it into a 200tonne 18 wheeler....or is that 24?:}

Like kicking a cub in a stiff xwind!

Atlas Shrugged
31st Jul 2009, 03:52
An oldie but a goodie!!

YouTube - TOP TEN Crosswind and Scary Aircraft Landings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s)

mickk
31st Jul 2009, 08:59
I see your heavy landing and raise with the pics of the wing tip damage to the A320 in the above vid. Would have ben a hoot to be in some of those go arounds.

YouTube - Wingstrike pictures A320 Lufthansa in Hamburg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWl0TygaeDw&feature=related)

YoDawg
31st Jul 2009, 09:39
Wally Mk 2 points out that no attempt was made to put the upwind side of the aircraft on the ground first to help counter the effect of the crosswind, as "a technique used by every sized A/C at times".

Wally said: notice no attempt to put the left wheel assemblies down first even slightly to reduce the overall impact, a technique used by every sized A/C at times.

Sounds like Wally thinks it's a good idea to put one leg onto the ground first to absorb impact, NOT to counter the effect of the crosswind.

Maybe we should ask him. Where's Wally?

I've never heard of any sort of technique like that for ANY size aircraft. Why TF would you absorb the landing shock with ONE leg when you could absorb it with TWO? Is this taught nowadays?

Personally I think it's a good idea to lower the into-wind wing to counter the effects of the crosswind - but not on an Airbus, which is programmed to do its own thing, not what the pilot happens to want.... but hey it DOES have a fold-out dinner table.

Short_Circuit
31st Jul 2009, 10:47
Sorry mate, don't understand what you're trying to say. Wally Mk 2 points out that no attempt was made to put the upwind side of the aircraft on the ground first to help counter the effect of the crosswind

I see that the driver put down a near 4 pointer, good stuff. Had it continued to roll onto the right wing gear with ineffective flare with a few hundred ton slamming onto the deck on one gear, there is a good chance the wing gear would poke its head out above the wing as has many 747's in the past. Thats all.

YoDawg
31st Jul 2009, 11:08
Maybe there was an underground creek at the threshold end of the runway... or a plowed field.

equal
1st Aug 2009, 06:28
"watch the wing go down, up, down and back up again"
...the only PIO going on is from this bloke's word hole