PDA

View Full Version : easyJet - Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged)

Diver_Dave
24th Jul 2009, 15:23
Ok....

This *should* be a simple question, I don't ask much in life but....

We're flying MAN-MLA next Wednesday with Easyjet and I can't seem
to get an answer to a simple question.

We've booked Hold baggage AND 'Diving Equipment'. Now: This combined
gives us an allowance of 32kg, however the website says.

12kg additional weight allowance per item is included in the charge.

Now I'm assuming given the phraseology it implies a second bag is
included but... I've had a really good troll around the net this afternoon
and all I can find relates to the actual allowance not number of bags.

I can't find out for sure.

I'm not after any Ezy bashing, even allowing for 'extras' and if we get hit
for an extra bag, they were still over £125 cheaper than KM (but that's
another story).

Any help appreciated.

Regards

DaveA

Der absolute Hammer
24th Jul 2009, 17:58
Diver Dave....Hope you are well.
The way I read this...

easyJet.com - Carrier's Regulations (http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage)

is as follows.

You are allowed 20kgs of checked baggage.
If you exceed that AND it is sporting kit, you may take up to 32kgs, with no one bag weighing more than that, if you pay the extra charges in table 2/a special sports equipment charge.

Sporting equipment
Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below:
Currency Per flight (when pre-paid) Per flight (paid at the airport) GBP 18.50 26.00 EUR 25.00 35.00 CHF 39.00 54.00 DKK 190.00 255.00 CSK 690.00 970.00 HUF 6,600.00 9,200.00 PLN 100.00 140.00 SKK 935.00 1,265.00 MAD 275.00 380.00

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee. Please note that baggage fees will not be refunded once paid, even where you subsequently do not carry excess baggage, additional baggage, sporting equipment or musical instruments on your Flight.

You may take baggage in excess of the 32kgs up to an absolute limit of 50kgs per pax, depending upon loading reuirements.
Any baggage that is in excess of the 32 kgs will be charged at the normal excess baggage rates whuch apply from table 1.

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs, as follows:
Currency Excess Baggage per kg GBP 9.00 EUR 12.00 CHF 20.00 DKK 88.00 CSK 320.00 HUF 3200.00 PLN 48.00 SKK 440.00 MAD 140.00

If your baggage weighed over 20kgs and contained no sports kit then your excess would all be charged at the rates in table 1. So the 12kgs for sports equipment, which they could ask to see at check in, is a special sort of allowance.
I know that on Air Seychelles, books and sun tan cream do not count as sports equipment whereas filthy golf clubs do. That is gross discrimination for you!

Now I am dazed and confused also but I think that is right. It seems to be more or less what some other airlines do. As you probably know, you may have problems if you try to take even empty tanks with you, let alone exploding war heads for shark hunting.

Diver_Dave
24th Jul 2009, 18:31
That's kind of how I read it but..

Am not sure if it's one or two bags per person!

The 32kg bit seems correct, the rest is a bit err
ambiguous, given the fact that the payment INCLUDES 12Kg
excess.

Regards

DaveA

Der absolute Hammer
24th Jul 2009, 19:02
Baggage

Baggage Allowances

Each passenger is permitted

one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged (http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage) at the airport prior to departurehttp://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

If it were me wot was done goonner travelling, I would copy all of this blurb and take it with me. That way there can be little arguing at check in.

I read it that the 12kg payment for excess is charged at oen rate of the excess 12kgs is sports stuff and quite another if it is books and grown up entertainment type stuff?

Diver_Dave
25th Jul 2009, 09:29
There's no problem in it IS dive kit.

What I'm after is are we (within the scope of that payment)
allowed a second bag each?

I'm guessing yes given you couldn't get a pair of Skis in a normal bag
and therefore logically would HAVE to have a second.

I've no problem with the physical weight allowances.

It's actual number of bags I've paid for I can't figure out.

I'm guessing two but... It can be read either way :ugh:

Thanks again...

DaveA

Der absolute Hammer
25th Jul 2009, 10:02
Each passenger is permitted
one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged (http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage) at the airport prior to departurE.Surely the number of pieces, boxes etc is covered in the above statement of 8 pieces checked in baggage?
So does not the whole deal read.....

You can take up to 8 peices checked in baggage with you.
These should not weight in total; more than 20kgs.
If they do, you will be charged a special rate for the excess between 20 and 32 kgs provided that the first 12 kgs above 20 is sports equipment. Thereafter (32kgs) you will be charged normal rates.
If you are not carrying sports euipment you will be charged normal rates for anything above 20kgs.
There is a maximum limit of 50kgs baggage hold weight allowance per passenger which cannot not be exceeded even if you were prepared to pay.

That's the way I would go about it. Interesting discussion really because I think the above parargraph of mine makes some sense and I also thinik it is accurtate. I do not know whay airlines have to obfusticate (lovewly English word) their regulations with excess verbage.

UniFoxOs
26th Jul 2009, 08:43
Pretty clear statement, Hammer. Only point you didn't cover was if a pax has pre-booked the extra 12 kg (which I assume is cheaper than paying for it at check-in), like Dave has, then you may be asked to prove it is sports equipment, or else pay the difference between the sports baggage rate and the normal rate.

UFO

PS Anybody know how likely it is that they will check? Mrs UFO doesn't do "travelling light".....

Der absolute Hammer
26th Jul 2009, 10:47
'So the 12kgs for sports equipment, which they could ask to see at check in, is a special sort of allowance.'

Reckon you might be asked to prove that sports equipment did not include blow up dolls.

Diver_Dave
26th Jul 2009, 11:29
They've got back to me with a definitive answer...

The main query was whilst you MAY take up to 8 bags
they charge extra for each one.

They've now confirmed that the 'Diving equipment' charge
includes 12Kg extra allowance AND an extra bag charge.

So we've two bags each and 32Kg in total.

They did specifically say that they may check as the 12kg
cannot be used for anything other than sports equipment
not an issue as we're coming in at about 16 for that.

Thanks Again...

Regards

DaveA

Der absolute Hammer
26th Jul 2009, 14:21
Thanks to you for posting that informationw hich clears things up well.
Have a fantastic trip.

25F
29th Jul 2009, 00:07
Easyjet at LGW today. Enormous checkin queue. About an hour long. I don't know exactly because our flight got called forward after about 40 minutes. Is this normal at LGW? Can't they get enough checkin agents? Don't have this problem at Stansted.

Capetonian
29th Jul 2009, 05:22
Had the same problem in May, so before peak season, when checking in for an EZY LGW - ZRH late afternoon flight. Pax for numerous flights were being called forward, people were getting upset, it all seemed a bit random. The check in staff were clearly doing their best (apart from the obnoxious old queen who gave me lip when I gave my position in the queue to a mum with a yong child who desperately needed the toilet).

There just weren't enough staff and some of them seemed excruciatingly slow.

Ancient Observer
29th Jul 2009, 13:36
Just in case the EZY CC/FD folk read this, I was on EZY 8773 on 30/06.
Much delayed, techie problems, no aircon., etc.
As SLF on this one, I just wanted to record how well the CC and the FD dealt with a horrible bunch of problems...........and some very worried pax. They still managed a full service while in the air aswell!!

V well done.

Ancient Observer
29th Jul 2009, 13:44
The queue comes and goes. On 30th June, I was only in the queue/line for EZY at LGW for about 20 min.s. When I left the check-in, it looked like 3 times the length compared to when I joined it!

Final 3 Greens
29th Jul 2009, 13:47
I must say that for a few years, U2 has been my favourite UK short haul airline.

Crew are professional and most friendly and the wx policy is excellent.

All in all, I usually enjoy my flights with the company and rate them as good value for money.

Evanelpus
29th Jul 2009, 14:18
Had two faultless EZY flights to and from Alicante a couple of weeks ago.

PAXboy
29th Jul 2009, 15:20
Yep, just back from Rome with EZY and the flights went just fine. A pity their agent at FCO and the P.A. facilities at the gate were diabolical. Yes, I know it's Rome but they were so poor and EZY are responsible for their agents.

miauk1
29th Jul 2009, 17:50
We recently checked 1 bag between us that weighed 23kg. Agent didn't bat an eyelid! Mind you the flight never took off but that's a whole other story!

However, be prepared for ritual humilitation at the gate as they look for passengers who manage to get through without hand luggagae being checked for size at check-in. The 'bag-police' come and make passengers without a hand baggage tag put their bags through the "If it fits it's on" test.

If your bag doesn't fit you have to pay extra at the gate regardless of the weight. So make sure your bag complies with the size regs.

Good luck

2 Whites 2 Reds
30th Jul 2009, 09:29
Hi Folks

Not sure if this will be read by the either of the flight crew involved but just wanted to say a big thanks on the off chance that it will.

The mother in law became very ill on board as I guess the cabin crew will have told you. She's still in hospital in Split and will probably remain there until at least the weekend while they carry on with the tests etc.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks because I realise the flight was your last sector of the day and diverting into Croatia was a pain....particuarly for the flight crew. Hope you didnt get home too late!!!

Many thanks again

2W2R :ok:

Paolo
30th Jul 2009, 10:04
You will be suprised the amount of crew that read this...If I find out who the crew were, I will "divert" their attention to this thread.

The crew's primary importance is the occupants of all on board. The Captain will use his or her judgement and decide along with input from others (first officer and c/c) and if they decide that a diversion is the best plan of action then so be it.

Had a situation recently with a poorly passenger on the Alicante to London and I actually went back to the cabin to take a look. When I arrived at the passenger, the wife said " Please get us back to London" I smiled and said "I will do my best but If I, as Captain, decide that we divert then so be it!" The Captain is responsible for making decisions and in this situation we continued and asked for paramedics and declared a medical emergency so assistance would meet the aircraft.

Hope your mum in law is doing ok

2 Whites 2 Reds
30th Jul 2009, 11:34
Morning Paolo,

If you do find out somehow then please convey my thanks and feel free to direct them to this thread.

We were lucky in so far as a nurse being on board who was absolutely brilliant. However after an hour of looking after the mum in law she consulted the cabin crew and felt that we needed to get down and quick. Infact, FL360 to paramedics and docs on board in under 25 mins so job well done on the flight deck. The Cabin Crew also deserve a mention as they were great too. Talking of which, in the rush of 5 of us disembarking into an ambulift I didnt get a chance to poke my head in the flight deck and say thanks so I gave the Senior 40euros to buy the nurse and all the crew a drink (albeit a soft one in flight...just as a token gesture).

Cheers

Xeque
30th Jul 2009, 12:11
This isa 'happy' thread and thanks for starting it. All too often the crew (up front and cabin) get given a hard time. Hope the MIL is getting better by the day. :ok:

kriskross
30th Jul 2009, 12:18
Perhaps you may like to drop a line to the Company on your experience. The crews are getting enough stick at the moment!

2 Whites 2 Reds
30th Jul 2009, 13:01
Just heard that the mother in law has been discharged and is flying back from Split to LGW tomorrow morning, again with easyJet.

As for the letter....already in hand. The father in law is going to write a nice letter when he gets back. The mrs, her sister and I flew back last night and woke up this morning find my shiny blue book had arrived from the CAA whilst we've been away which made me think that when I get a RHS I would want to be praised for the good stuff aswel as criticised for the bad. So I'll make sure the nice letter gets sent and the appropriate crew praised.

Infact, if there's any other easyJet crew reading the thread who may know who the flight crew were then please convey my personal thanks.

Cheers

2 Whites 2 Reds
30th Jul 2009, 13:06
Capt. Playstation.....

Yeah I know it's odd thanking someone for looking after the mother in law and generally I'd agree! :ok: But on this particular occassion I thought I'd have a stab at being sincere towards the in-laws.....afterall, the nice big rent free family holiday home in Cyprus is a brucey bonus!!! Sorry, bad taste on my part there.... :E

Paolo
30th Jul 2009, 13:09
Great news....hope tomorrows flight is un-eventful!

Been following this thread this morning and I would like to say that was very generous of you to hand over 40 euro's..that would have been appreciated, I can tell you!

Also, you say you are a fresh CPL holder, I hope the search for that all important first job goes well and who knows, may see you in the flightdeck in the future!

All the best

Paolo

easyboy22
30th Jul 2009, 15:02
2w2r
Very glad she is doing ok. Glad your writing a letter
as we do appreciate them. If you send it in it gets
sent to the base involved and put into a file in the
crewroom for us too read. Normally the crew on the flight
also get a email from base managers... Hope that helps

nautique
30th Jul 2009, 16:17
2 whites 2 reds - your thanks will reach the crew. I will make sure of that! And thank you for passing on your appreciation to all the crew.

25F
31st Jul 2009, 14:32
@miauk1 - if there's two of you, you can pool your baggage allowance. (Unlike certain other low-cos). The single item limit is 32 kg.

25F
31st Jul 2009, 14:38
They must surely have fairly predictable numbers of people arriving: obviously there will be some "clumpiness" due to random variations, but if the queue has climbed up well past an hour long something has gone seriously wrong. I don't think anybody (or near enough) was actually getting to the end of the queue, if you see what I mean, as it seemed that everybody getting checked in had been called out of the queue as their flight was about to close.