PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating requirements

FL170
29th Jul 2009, 13:03
If anyone can clarify this it would be much appreciated:

I am doing my MECIR and in my CPL command building I did 5 hours PIC in a 152 at night in the cct. I did so as I was told this will kill two birds with one stone as it covers me for my CIR requirements.

Just reading through CAO 40 and this excerpt has me stumped;

(e) except for those persons whose licence is restricted to day only operations, 10 hours night flight of which not less than 5 hours shall be as pilot in command on the category of aircraft for which the rating is sought.

Category of aircraft being multi engine I take it. I fail to see in reading all 40.2.1 how I am incorrect in my interpretations. Please shed some light someone? :ugh:

training wheels
29th Jul 2009, 13:24
I think "category of aircraft" refers to "performance category"? A C152 would be Perf Cat A; your typical GA light twin would be Perf Cat B.

Lasiorhinus
29th Jul 2009, 13:25
Category of Aircraft is referring to aeroplane, helicopter, or airship.

kalavo
29th Jul 2009, 13:28
Category of aircraft being multi engine I take it. I fail to see in reading all 40.2.1 how I am incorrect in my interpretations. Please shed some light someone? :ugh:

Relax. Category of aircraft refers to aeroplanes, helicopters, balloons, etc. (have to go back to CARs for that definition) and your instrument rating will be endorsed for aeroplanes, ie IR C-ME(A). If you moved in to helicopters down the track you would need the 5 hours night command in helicopters and an IR C-ME(H)

Most people either do a NVFR or 5 hours in the circuit area in a C152 as you have done, you meet the requirements.

FL170
29th Jul 2009, 13:35
Beudy!! I'll sleep easy tonight.

Thanks guys :ok: