PDA

View Full Version : Geriatric Aircraft Stickers

Warmtoast
29th Jul 2009, 11:39
Geriatric Aircraft Stickers

Way back in the 1980’s I was told that 8 Sqn Shackletons had a sticker attached to them which looked like a brass plaque, saying something like “Avro Shackleton, on loan from the RAF Museum Hendon, please fly carefully.”

Any R.A.F. aircraft flying today that would qualify for such a sticker — or have some squadrons already affixed similar stickers to some of the geriatric aircraft they are expected to fly?

Gainesy
29th Jul 2009, 11:46
I'd guess its a toss up between the VC10 and Dominie, BBMF stand fast?

johnfairr
29th Jul 2009, 11:47
Flew in a Hastings in 1973 as the lead-in to #1 AD course on the F-4 and there was a plaque over the rear entry hatch that said something like, "When this airframe is time-expired, please preserve it as it flew in the Berlin Airlift, 1948".

Needless to say the NBS kit when t1ts-up halfway through the radar prediction sortie and all I got was 4 hours bimbling round one of the LFAs saying what I thought I expected to see on the tube. Waste of time! :*

Mick Strigg
29th Jul 2009, 12:06
The 8 Sqn Shack sticker that I remember said "Eight Screws are better than Two Blow Jobs!"

jimgriff
29th Jul 2009, 12:16
Shouldn't that read "4 Blowjobs"? I remember it was a dig at the Nimrod (it has 4 engines):8

The other stickers stated:
"Old age and experience will always triumph over youth and exuberance"
:suspect:

Wensleydale
29th Jul 2009, 12:21
8 Sqn used to have a semi-professional cartoonist on its strength (Air Pictorial etc) and many of his creations ended up as stickers/T-Shirts etc. We had the 8 Screws (one of his) and "Old Age and Treachary will Triumph over Youth and Skill" was also popular. I also remember just after the John Nott cuts of '81; "Join 8 and Get Notted".

The Sqn owned its own Sreen-Printing Press, and T-Shirts/Sweat Shirts were mass produced in the days before Air Shows to the considerable profit of the Bar Fund. We even had our own line in 8 Screws Skimpy Knickers which "went down well" with the punters. I once traded my tatty 8 Screws sweat shirt for a USAF cold weather flying jacket at an Air Show at Ramstein.

I have to confess though that I do not remember the "Brass Plaque" sticker. May have been after my time...

Mactlsm1
29th Jul 2009, 14:09
ISTR there was also "Fly Shackair and Get Notted"

Mac

Baron rouge
29th Jul 2009, 20:04
Maybe this "eight screws are better than two blow jobs" was not aimed at the nimrod ?
it was anyway very appropriate when 8th squadron organised a big show for the end of the shackleton on 8th august 1988 (8.8.88) inviting all other NATO 8th squadrons which were all twin jet fighter equiped.

Very good days, and even a trip in a Shackleton.:D

larssnowpharter
29th Jul 2009, 20:14
It was indeed a good weekend. Not all the NATO invitees were in twin blowjobs. ISTR the Italians turning up with a twin prop job.

Rumour also has it that the Russians were invited but - rather rudely - didn't bother to show.

Does anyone have a video of the flypast?

SirToppamHat
29th Jul 2009, 20:16
I certainly remember the "8 Screws better than 4 Blow Jobs", but wasn't the saying:

"Old age and treachery will always triumph over youth and exuberance"

??

Oh and I think the RAF is still flying Andover(s) down at Boscombe!

STH

Baron rouge
29th Jul 2009, 20:33
There were probably two versions of the sticker, as those still in my possession read TWO blow jobs.:ok:

reynoldsno1
30th Jul 2009, 00:44
The Shack Mk.III Phase 3 did have a couple of blow jobs under the outboard engines, of course....

Wensleydale
30th Jul 2009, 06:25
I believe that the 4 blow jobs version came about in the last year of the Shackleton (1990-91) when there were 2 x 8 Sqns: 8 Sqn North at Lossie with the Shackleton and 8 Sqn South at Waddington with the work-up to the E-3D takeover.

Up 'til then the 2 blow jobs was to signify that all the other aircraft at Lossie were twin jets (Buccs and Jag OC). It was certainly 2 blow jobs during the early 80s.

W

PS. I did have a google to see if there were any images on the interweb, but couldn't find any.........had to look for the whole phrase though.:E

Tankertrashnav
30th Jul 2009, 08:28
I'd guess its a toss up between the VC10 and Dominie,

I think the Dominie entered service in 1965, the year before the VC10, so leaving aside BBMF and Boscombe, which may have a Sopwith Camel on its books for all I know, I guess it is the oldest in regular RAF service. Some chat about it on the 55 Squadron visitor to NCL thread below. Funny, I still think of it as a shiny new aeroplane, which it certainly was at Strad after Gaydon's Varsities, but time marches on.

f4aviation
30th Jul 2009, 11:48
What happened to the tradition of painting the tail red on the oldest serving airframe in the RAF? Did it die out with the Canberra?

TheWizard
30th Jul 2009, 11:55
Difficult to work out which one to paint red these days!!:sad::\

Gainesy
30th Jul 2009, 13:23
What happened to the tradition of painting the tail red on the oldest serving airframe in the RAF?

Never heard of that one.:confused:

sitigeltfel
30th Jul 2009, 15:53
The US Navy have a tradition of 'redecorating' any aircraft that landed by mistake on the wrong carrier.
The attitude of the Airboss when one was noted on approach was, 'keep it comin in, we'll catch a live one'.

The Royal Navy had one of their F4s rebranded during a det to the States in the seventies.....

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/F4zapped.jpg

RJM
30th Jul 2009, 19:55
RAAF flew Dakotas from 1943 until March 1999. They were last operated by Aircraft Research and Development Unit (motto:We Get There - Eventually) at RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia. The aircraft were older than the pilots and nearly everyone on the base.
I think the RAF had a couple of them until about the same time.

PanzerJohn
31st Jul 2009, 10:57
The BBMF has a Dakota.

Gainesy
31st Jul 2009, 12:34
Well Done!:D:)