PDA

View Full Version : Checking in 15 days in advance. Security.

Sober Lark
29th Jul 2009, 10:22
With online check in you can print your boarding pass 15 days in advance. This means you can print your return boarding pass before you leave home.

Before printing your boarding pass you have to tick the box stating no one has tampered with your bag.

My question is how can anyone honestly tick the box that no one has tampered with their bag and proceed to printing their boarding pass? Has security screening at airports become so good that the requirement no longer exists?

raffele
29th Jul 2009, 10:28
Nope, it hasn't - it's just something that wasn't well thought of when the airline's beancounters (I assume it's Ryanair you're talking about?) when they set the time period of OLCI...

Sober Lark
29th Jul 2009, 13:46
That's amazing raffele, obviously security know this and have to be more vigilant.

I'd imagine extra vigilance takes time but now I'm thinking what a neck when the company concerned turns around and blames airport authorities and security personnele for their (non refundable) passengers missing their flights. Talk about turning the tables and maxing on publicity.

Malone
29th Jul 2009, 14:19
I think that you will find that you are asked the questions when you check your bag in no matter when or where you actually checked yourself in.
The issue is with cabin baggage and I believe that the airline has to have asked these questions somewhere along the line, even though your cabin baggage will be extensively screened on the way through security.
It is just another example of how regulations have not kept up with actuality. New regs are put in place but noone ever seems to bother to cancel the out of date ones that are being replaced. Mind you, this seems to be endemic in our society as a whole.
:hmm:

Sober Lark
29th Jul 2009, 14:59
Malone, I could understand one or two countries playing 'catch up' but all of them? The UK has (from lessons learnt in the past) arguably the best security in the world but how could they have the wool pulled over their eyes by this one?

Malone
29th Jul 2009, 16:09
Sorry SL. I don't quite see what you are getting at.
What I am trying to say is that these questions would seem somewhat superfluous when you check in online and have cabin baggage only. The powers that be, wherever they are, do not appear to have taken this into account. Unless of course, the theory is that the more the questions are asked, the more aware people will be. After all, the whole idea of these questions is to serve as a reminder to people not to carry anything for anyone else and not to leave your luggage lying around. It still amazes me that people do this, I personally would be worrying about it being nicked for a start!!!