PDA

View Full Version : New home for the Surrey Police ASU: RAF ODIHAM?

SECRET SERVICE
29th Jul 2009, 08:13
I've been reliably informed by a very good sourse the Surrey Police Air Support Unit has found a new home.

Apparantly it's RAF ODIHAM in North Hampshire?

I can understand their reason for choosing a location with such tight security, due to the aircraft beeing damaged recently at Fairoaks, but from an operational point of view - how will this affect their flying times in relation to responding to incidents to the eastern side of the county such as Tandridge, which borders south/south east London and west Kent.

Secret Service

Retro Coupe
29th Jul 2009, 11:02
how will this affect their flying times in relation to responding to incidents to the eastern side of the county such as Tandridge

Odiham to Tandridge = 34nm, Fairoaks to Tandridge = 21nm. Thats a difference of 13nm which in a 135 would be 6 - 7 mins. :8 Is Tandridge a hot bed of crime? The important thing is that their aircraft should be secure.

John R81
29th Jul 2009, 12:10
Has been reported in the press. Management think the slightly longer flight time will be offset by keeping the machine out-of-hanger more often. They also have been offered priority clearance over routine military traffic.

I think in any case the reaction time will be sooooo much quicker than compared to Fairoakes if the comparison is "servicable for flight" with "vandalised".

Cheep security, too.

TorqueOfTheDevil
29th Jul 2009, 12:39
Good thing that Odiham isn't closing any time soon...oh hang on...

airborne_artist
29th Jul 2009, 14:34
Any idea what was wrong with Dunsfold? Slightly S of the centre of Surrey, but a lot more central than Odious.

ShyTorque
29th Jul 2009, 14:53
What physical security is in place at Dunsfold? Perhaps, in view of recent events, this the one thing they were hoping to improve upon.

Retro Coupe
29th Jul 2009, 15:18
If you go to Dunsfold there is the risk of being hit by a car driven by Clarkson, "The Hamster" or Captain Slow!! :}

AlanM
29th Jul 2009, 17:12
SECRET SERVICE...

Thank heavens that the national security of our great country is dependant on you!! (only joking fella)

It is hardly striking news is it? They moved a while back - and anyone on Heathrow SVFR/LARS would hear her referring to her point of departure as Odiham.

As said, security is the key here. What can be more secure than a few SA80s and wooly alligators to keep you sane.

Bit of a drive for most of the crews though........

The most important thing is that the beancounters that run the budgets within police forces are aware that they are a great asset worth protecting - which can only be a good thing. They don't need a reason to get rid of it and put it in the "too diffcult/costly" pile.

B.U.D.G.I.E
29th Jul 2009, 17:39
After all the problems caused with the damage to the aircraft. What a great idea it is to publish on a public site the location of there new base..... :ugh:

:mad:

serf
29th Jul 2009, 17:53
Will the crews be required to abide by the FTL requirements for travelling?

What Limits
29th Jul 2009, 19:14
Pilots - yes, police observers - no. Travelling to and from work is adequately covered by FTL schemes.

SilsoeSid
29th Jul 2009, 20:46
After all the problems caused with the damage to the aircraft. What a great idea it is to publish on a public site the location of there new base..... :ugh:
:mad:

Of course you are correct Budgie,
Because the people who damaged it previously cannot read newspapers, listen to radios or local townsfolk. Their ability to operate a radio capable of listening to ATC is of course again very limited. Then again for them to write a letter under FOI to the Surrey Police Air Operations Unit itself and ask where it is now based would be totally inconceivable.
:ugh:

Failing everything else, these people, assuming they could operate a computer connected to the internet and then actually get onto the interweb, could always go to the Surrey Police website and read about it there.
Surrey Police helicopter moves to new base (http://www.surrey.police.uk/media/news_item.asp?area=12&itemID=11809)

So remind me Budge, what's your point?

Fortyodd2
30th Jul 2009, 00:10
'Tis a pity then, that there's no RAF Birmingham :sad:

fkelly
30th Jul 2009, 07:36
There would be if Ryanair were running the show but it would still be Odiham.

Madbob
30th Jul 2009, 08:16
I hope that the RAF is properly charging the Surrey Police/Home Office for fuel, hangarage, landing fees, navigation charges and security.:)

I know that at the end of the day it's all taxpayers' money but any income generated will be much appreciated by the MOD, whose coffers are well and truely empty!

MB