PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - TAM & South America

TightSlot
29th Jul 2009, 08:10
G'day All

My youngest (17yrs) son leaves tomorrow on a school Rugby Tour in South America. My ignorance about this area , with the exception of Buenos Aires is almost total. I could use some advice please. He flies with TAM LHR to Sao paulo, connecting to Santiago (Chile), then Vina del Mar, Buenos Aires, Asuncion (Paraguay) then Iguazu and back again with TAM via Sao Pauo - He's going to be a busy boy (and his parents are going to bee financially stretched for years as a result).

Any comments on TAM - I've looked at their website but can find no info about his most important requirement - IFE. Will the IFE be seat-back, and is there an English language option?

I'm giving him US dollars as a mix of cash and Travellers Cheques - any issues with this?

I've given him a US plug (i.e. electrical) adapter for ipod charge: This should cover some/most or all? Any experience?

Are internet cafes/Skype/MSN routinely available in the cities?

Thanks in anticipation.

raffele
29th Jul 2009, 10:25
My girlfriend recently went to South America. She took Travellers Cheques which turned out to be a big mistake as in many parts of South America, no one will go anywhere near them as there are so many fakes circulating. Of course, she didn't know this until the time she had to cash them in. She managed to get the cash by ringing up Amex, getting them cancelled and they wire transferred the money to her via the local Western Union office, although this was a saga in itself with over 6 hours of calls to the Amex office in the UK.

Unfortunately, Travellers Cheques remain the safest way to take money abroad - even with acceptance of them depreciating. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place!

If possible, I wouldn't say don't take the cheques, but weigh the cash/cheque balance more in favour of cash. And make sure he has the number of the issuer in case of the obvious, but also in case he needs to get them cancelled and the money wired to him.

Hope this helps! :)

And PS - he shouldn't have a problem finding a Messenger/Skype equipped internet cafe!

malagajohn
29th Jul 2009, 12:07
Ciber cafes widely available throughout the region

US plug adaptor may not be the best option - try the Boots international adaptor

Cash is a better option than tcs - tcs may have to be changed in large branches of banks

Sounds like a good trip !!!

ELondonPax
29th Jul 2009, 12:53
Took about a dozen TAM flights about a year ago. They were fine.

Within S America, the IFE is not seat back. A few screens scattered above the aisle. No sound, so lack of English not relevant.

Travellers Cheques? Not sure they'll be any use. I haven't seen them used anywhere in years.

Not sure how stretched he (or you) will be for money - but at Iguazu a trip up the river to the bottom of the falls is an absolute must. Quite the most amazing natural wonder I've ever seen.

TightSlot
29th Jul 2009, 13:14
Many thanks everybody - special thanks to Davidsa for an extended PM (which he should post on this thread as it's useful to all)

I've opted for cash (Gulp!!!) and a worldwide adapter - I guess I'll have to cross fingers that he's careful.