PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to Qatar Fleet - I want to fly it!!!!!

Iver
29th Jul 2009, 01:40
Forget flying the 777 or A330/A340 at Qatar. I would much rather fly this airplane:

Photos: Boeing C-17 Globemaster III Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qatar---Air/Boeing-C-17-Globemaster/1559021/L/)

So, who get's to fly the C-17? Qatari military? Will Qatar Airways pilots transfer over from the pax fleet to fly it or is it completely unaffiliated? Where will it likely fly and for whom?

Looks cool in that paint job.

sec 3
29th Jul 2009, 04:30
Thats to carry all Al Bakr's platform shoes when he goes on trips.

loc22550
29th Jul 2009, 04:34
...Maybe soon we gone start flying to Baghdad..?!:}:\

cochise
29th Jul 2009, 04:40
Fast cars and fast horses taxi service...

NZ X man
29th Jul 2009, 06:39
It is a fairly flash paint job though, looks better than the typical military green camo, or gray.

Qatari515
29th Jul 2009, 09:53
These airplanes have nothing to do with Qatar Airways LLC.

They will form a seperate wing of the Qatari Airforce, flying only humanitarian missions on behalf of the Qatari governement.

Pilots can only be Qatari Nationals (was one of the demands of the US military) so NO expats can fly these machines!

About 10 Qatari pilots already left the airline to go and fly these planes. They where offered a great contracts with great perks. If I would have a Qatari passport, thats where I would be!

Are looking great, that is for sure!

Asianlonghaul
29th Jul 2009, 10:50
There will be a few Expats but only nationalities approved by the US.

Da Do Ron Ron
29th Jul 2009, 11:51
Expect a few orders from other GCC countries, the ego's won't take it that Qatar has a new toy and not them .......

Iver
29th Jul 2009, 13:09
I can understand why Qatari pilots would want to make a switch:

Photos: Boeing C-17A Globemaster III Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-C-17A-Globemaster/1355343/L/&sid=52a6819ee6dfdcee164e9e292847d33b)

and

Photos: Boeing C-17A Globemaster III Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-C-17A-Globemaster/0362526/L/&sid=52a6819ee6dfdcee164e9e292847d33b)

Looks like a fun airplane with the single stick. I wonder how many horses you could carry in the C-17 vs. the typical cargo DC-8 that transports them to Ireland (or wherever) and back.

Any C-17 pilots out there care to comment? Fun airplane to fly?

Minorite invisible
31st Jul 2009, 14:05
What kind of Certificate of Airworthiness will it have, since the Boeing C-17 does not have a civilian type certificate? I have a hard time believing that flyings sports cars or race horses to Europe in a military aircraft with a civilian registration and a commercial airline livery will fly with any of the European Civil Aviation authorities. If whatever it will carry cannot be demonstrated as being military, or government cargo, or humanitarian aid, it cant happen (according to the regs anyway)

PorkKnuckle
31st Jul 2009, 14:51
I have a hard time believing that flyings sports cars or race horses to Europe in a military aircraft with a civilian registration and a commercial airline livery will fly with any of the European Civil Aviation authorities.

You better tell that to all those operators flying civvy Hercules then...

Not to mention all the IL-76s and other dodgy russky jobs.

Tintin
31st Jul 2009, 14:57
Acommodement raisonable:

It will be military plane, flown by airforce pilot some if not most ex qr.
humanitarian mission mostly.

Minorite invisible
1st Aug 2009, 03:50
You better tell that to all those operators flying civvy Hercules then...

Not to mention all the IL-76s and other dodgy russky jobs.

The C-130, the Il-76, the An-12 etc have a civilian type certificate. The C-17 does not........

kit330
3rd Aug 2009, 11:18
do the pilots get to wear the cool jump suits too...

cochise
4th Aug 2009, 08:09
Minorite invisible, we understand what you're saying but this is where Benjamin Franklin currently resides and I'm sure they won't have any problems convincing any of the governments and authorities to give them a stack of STC's or waivers.:E

Minorite invisible
5th Aug 2009, 17:45
Minorite invisible, we understand what you're saying but this is where Benjamin Franklin currently resides and I'm sure they won't have any problems convincing any of the governments and authorities to give them a stack of STC's or waivers.

I think I agree, I just can't wait to see the form it will take......