PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR together or one at a time.

thompsonmarkp
28th Jul 2009, 22:19
Dear all

Forgive this post if it has been discussed before but I'm pretty sure it hasn't as I have searched high and low on previous threads to no avail.

I have read on previous threads that a current CPL/IR is more beneficial than an older CPL/IR when trying to secure your first RHS position. My question then (assuming that is the case and I'd rather not get into a discussion about the validity of this fact) given the current economic downturn we find ourselves in and the very slim chance of securing such a role; is it worth someone like myself (with ATPL exams and MEP in the bag) getting the CPL under my belt and issued now and then doing the IR in a couple of years, thus making up the fATPL as a 'fresh' one? Thats as opposed to doing it all now and having to keep it ticking along for a couple of years before securing a RHS.

This would allow me to perhaps at least start trying to pick up some work as a pilot, albeit limited possibilities.

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Mark.

horsebox
28th Jul 2009, 22:38
The CPL like the PPL is a licence, the IR, like the MEP, or SEP is a rating. Think of the licence as a wrapper.

The "age" of a CPL/IR is irrelevant. Employers ask questions like "is your MEIR valid", "are you in current flying practice". Whether it was issued last week or last year matters not.

CPL is valid for 5 years, renewing it is usually a paperwork exercise, the IR needs renewing each year with a flight test. IR renewals ( and they need to be done on a twin to be any use in the job market) is the expensive bit, especially when you're skills are rusty..

The clock is also ticking on the atpl exam passes....

With the current job market, rushing out to aquire an expensive time expiring rating like the IR is a bit daft. Completing the CPL at a steady pace, keeping current, and reviewing the job market, completing an IR if you see an improvement might be a sensible way forward.