PDA

View Full Version : Emer exit window

Iceman49
28th Jul 2009, 19:12
Currious as to what your company does as far as where to put the emer exit window during an evacuation and why. Thanks

MrHorgy
28th Jul 2009, 20:11
Chuck it out the window, anything in the cabin can only impede the evacuation further.

Hope this is the door you meant!

Horgy

Iceman49
29th Jul 2009, 00:53
I agree, unfortunately our company went away from the practice of throwing the plug window out...to keeping it inside.

BelArgUSA
29th Jul 2009, 01:02
MrHorgy is fully correct - a typical removable 737 exit overwing window should be thrown out... probably will fall on top of the wing. There is a bad problem - which is emergency evacuation training - In an evacuation from a 727 some 20 years ago, the crewmember removed the window-exit assembly, and put the unit on the seats near the exits... apparently, he fought against the push of passengers trying to exit the plane...
xxx
When asked by the NTSB "why did you not throw the unit through the exit" the crewmember said "I did exactly like they showed me to do in training, that is leave the unit on the seat next to the exit..."
xxx
Exactly what NOT TO DO... If you are an instructor and discuss evacuations, insist on the facts and difference of training versus real life situations, especially with newly hired crewmembers.
xxx
:rolleyes:
Happy contrails

lomapaseo
29th Jul 2009, 02:29
Actually the real answers are coming from "what would you do" . I read the seat card and the sticker over the door when I sit in the exit rows knowing that it's really up to me to act. Yes I agree that it makes sense to get rid of the obstruction out the door and bounced it off the wing considering that there is sure to be a crush of people pushing on the seat backs trying to get out the visible door hole.

I remember bringing this subject up more than ten years ago on the Avsig forum where I related my recent experience with a commuter airline where the seat back card differed with the sticker over the exit on where to get rid of the door. One of the FAA DC managers who was active on that forum read my post and asked me for the name of the airline :)

Iceman49
29th Jul 2009, 14:18
Is there any guidance, eg best practice...thx

lomapaseo
29th Jul 2009, 14:59
Is there any guidance, eg best practice...thx

The opinions I would value most would be of those that have actually used the exit in an emergency.

I suspect that other opinions might be selective to what satisfies the Feds. Perhaps there is a cabin safety forum around that might be the place to ask.

muduckace
29th Jul 2009, 15:45
The rationality is based on the specific aircraft. Size of the hull, and weight of the hatch are the two factors. I remember a CRJ-200 policy to eject the hatch while most larger are to remain inside.

Now, for myself flying as a passenger with knowledge of how the exit works. 6'4''/ 275lbs, I am going to remove that hatch flip it sideways and toss it clear of the aircraft in seconds.

A normal passenger or the possible 115 lb flight attendant would be better off laying it on the seat as directed.