PDA

View Full Version : Alan Joyce:A Report Card

bulstrode
28th Jul 2009, 09:02
Certainly Alan Joyce took over the reins at Qantas at a difficult time but what has he achieved in his first 150 days?
Re Engagement of Staff:D minus
Breaking up the
Dixon Boys Club:A+
Improved Service:D Minus.
Attempts at repairing the Brand:D Minus
In reality Joyce has achieved little and the future will most likely be more of the same

Dropt McGutz
28th Jul 2009, 09:42
That's hardly long enough to repair things. At least he goes and talks to staff!

ditch handle
28th Jul 2009, 10:02
All piss and wind..........

packrat
28th Jul 2009, 11:11
AJ should have put he cleaners through M and E management
He could have put the cleaners though Cabin Services management.
He did neither.
The reason that staff are disengaged is due to the people who(mis) manage them and the business.
It would go a long way to solving the morale and incompetence problems if a few more management heads were lopped.
Comment on Report Card--Could do a lot better

Going Boeing
28th Jul 2009, 11:13
He talks to staff but when their version of what's happening is different to what Dixon told him then he ignores the staff's version. He is still Dixon's clone.

Captain.Que
28th Jul 2009, 13:34
When Qantas was taken over by TAA virtually all "the Red Tail men"were moved on and replaced by people with a domestic mindset and a matching skill set.Both inappropriate and inadequate for operating an international airline.
John Fletcher ran Coles/Myer for five years and failed miserably in turning the company around.The reason he failed was simple..the corporate management culture was resistant to change.
Wesfarmers has removed over 100 of the existing Coles/Myer management with more to go.
If Joyce is to be successful in "fixing' Qantas he needs to travel down the same path .
A purge of the Qantas corporate management trough.
For a corporation to move forward and grow it needs to inject new management blood at least every five years.
Many of the usual suspects have been there since privatisation.
Way too long

hadagutfull
28th Jul 2009, 20:17
Alan who???

Ka.Boom
29th Jul 2009, 05:02
You wouldnt even know Dixon has gone.
The same montonous rhetoric still emanates from the citadel.
It is not necessary to tell staff 5 times a week that times are tough.
Once is probably enough to communicate the situation

ampclamp
29th Jul 2009, 09:50
When Qantas was taken over by TAA
What?
Not sure if you are joking .

Negative Feedback
29th Jul 2009, 10:39
I've heard rumours about a new management team, and read emails saying there are different individuals inhabiting the halls of Valhalla. Haven't met any of them or seen any of them about. Even the most immediate of the 350 odd managers guiding me is rarely seen.

All still seems exactly the same to me as I stand here on my level playing field, stationary but apparently going forward, swinging my worn out pick into the same coalface. :ugh:

Sunfish
29th Jul 2009, 22:26
Took Eight years to get this way. Even Wesfarmers yesterday said it would take Five years to turn Coles around. Don't hold your breath.

QFinsider
29th Jul 2009, 23:16
The rhetoric is exactly the same...

The right wing neo neo conservative crap that drives down staff terms and conditions, whilst executive remuneration climbs steadily skyward continues unabated. He is a child of Dixon. Oldmeadow's filthy industrial strategy growing j* at the expense of mainline continues exactly as before. Different face, same BS. He has little idea of aviation, other than being a wannabe pilot (sort of explains a lot really) He runs the playbook exactly as his idiot predecessor did. The whole bunch hope noone notices until it is too late. It won't be finished until the transformation is complete, the cross subsidy continues...

Clifford is the muscle guy, or so he thinks. the rest of the board as inept as before

Anyone who thinks differently obviously believes in fairies...:E

UPPERLOBE
29th Jul 2009, 23:46
Ampclamp

That's what happened, the post coital management shakeout went one way and it wasn't the voice of international experience that was retained either.

So yes, Australian Airlines was the half dead mongoose who killed the big fat python. :eek:

Howard Hughes
30th Jul 2009, 01:08
All still seems exactly the same to me as I stand here on my level playing field, stationary but apparently going forward, swinging my worn out pick into the same coalface.
NF, I know it's only early days, but I would like to nominate that for 'post of the Century'...:ok:

Bad Hat Harry
30th Jul 2009, 23:52
Joyce is compliant.That is the reason he was appointed by Clifford.
Make no mistake Clifford calls the shots.
Joyce has a temper when questioned about topics that he posesses little knowledge of.ie whats really happening at Qantas.
As sunfish highlighted it took a while to create the mess.It will take a while to fix it.
Perhaps we should have this discussion in 12 months time?

DEFCON4
31st Jul 2009, 05:02
To engage staff Joyce needs to spend time on the shop floor and "listen" to what is said.Managers should not be present Retribution may otherwise be a consequence of honesty.
He should not dismiss opinions that differ from what he has been told.
Managers should be directed to cease the adversarial style of people management that has become a hallmark of the workplace over the last 10 years.
Trust and respect need to be rebuilt.Employees need to be able to contribute to the growth and well being of the corporation.Its survival is more important to the shop floor than it is to management.In general those at the coalface have been with Qantas a lot longer than management.When Joyce leaves the majority will still be here.
Been at Qantas for 20 years?How many CEOs have come and gone?.
Only one stayed too long and made a mess.
Lets hope Joyce doesnt do the same

ampclamp
31st Jul 2009, 11:00
Strewth could have fooled me.seems to me the red team has a firm grip on things.
certainly where I ply my trade anyway.Lame land that is.
In some ways they seem to have retained the worst bits of both rather than refine and select what works. Too much inbreeding all round for want of a better term.
if its complex and incomprehensible to the unwashed, requires a sack of paperwork with several committees, 11 layers of supervision, a safety group luv-in and 500 f'ing passwords its best practice :{ When I came to qf i wasnt sure if I'd joined the army or the public service.:hmm:

anyway things could be a heap worse.They pay me ok and on time and I do my best to keep things safe and on time.Fair exchange.

Just some observations from a jaded ol' f@rt.;)