PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

Sprogget
28th Jul 2009, 08:41
Anyone using this?

I have a large folder, specifically, company data that I back up daily & upload to a pc at home. This gives me the folder in three locations so that if my office burns down or I am burgled, I at least have the data to get up & running again quickly. But it is a pain if one forgets on ocassion to back up or bring the drive home. In fact I have in the recent past had to drive back to work to answer a query when I'd left the drive behind - I'm only human.

So I like the look of Dropbox. Login & there's my data. However, the data is commercially sensitive & I need to know that it is secure. Instinctively, I feel that letting it out onto someone else's servers risks that, but do others have any experience of this or views of such a service?

call100
28th Jul 2009, 09:29
I use it for a small amount of stuff and it works really well. There is also an IPhone App that links directly to Dropbox.....However, I don't use it for anything sensitive so can't help you there. I believe it is safe and secure as can be, the only worry would be if Dropbox were to be forced to help any Government agencies....(Paranoid, Sorry.) I have been informed that you can use TrueCrypt within it, which would solve the security question. Not personally done that though....

Mike-Bracknell
28th Jul 2009, 15:49
We're using it extensively here to share files between geographically disparate users. Works very well :ok:

I believe there's a lot of updates due on the client side of things as a result of feedback. My only gripe is that until I turned off the update notifications I was getting hundreds of them as my colleagues saved website files.

Works seamlessly on Windows 7 too, as I can attest.

bnt
28th Jul 2009, 17:18
I'm very pleased with it too, and the admins say (https://www.getdropbox.com/help/27) that all file contents are encrypted on their side. I still wouldn't want to have commercially-sensitive material on there, for legal & liability reasons etc., without additional encryption.

mutt
28th Jul 2009, 17:34
Why don't you encrypt the data before you drop it?

Mutt

Capetonian
31st May 2010, 10:38
Someone posted a thread with a link to 'dropbox' yesterday and it seems to have been removed - I'm curious to know why, or maybe just why I can't find it.

I have downloaded the applcation, it is exactly what I needed, I was always battling with my home PC and my laptop being out of synch with different versions of files, so this is just what I needed.

Whoever you are, thank you, and I can really recommend the application.

Saab Dastard
31st May 2010, 10:53
Someone posted a thread with a link to 'dropbox' yesterday and it seems to have been removed - I'm curious to know why, or maybe just why I can't find it.

There was an advertising thread for dropbox in R&N that was deleted by the mods there for breaking the forum rules on promotions and advertising.

SD

Bushfiva
31st May 2010, 11:31
Free or paid Hamachi or free Wippien, plus SyncToy and/or Evernote work quite well.

bnt
31st May 2010, 11:33
I've been using it for a while now, and am very happy with it. Every change you make inside the specified folder is replicated straight away - which can include undesired changes or deletion - but you can undo any changes on the website. There's also an iPhone / iPod Touch app, which gives you access to the files and lets you store some for offline reading.

If you want to try it, I have a referral link you can use, here (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg1MjYxOQ); this means we both get a little extra space, over the standard free 2GB.

call100
31st May 2010, 15:50
I highly recommend dropbox....it has never failed me and I use it a lot.
Dropbox encrypts your files....Downside is they have the key...The files are stored on Amazons servers I think.....
If you are paranoid about it you can use TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux (http://www.truecrypt.org/) to encrypt your files within your Dropbox, That way you know your files are for your eyes only.:ok: