PDA

View Full Version : Vor arcing

Jay Bo
28th Jul 2009, 03:00
Is there a correct procedure in regards to the CDI being centred with a FM or To flag when arcing knowing that you will be intercepting an inbound radial

eg. hypothetically if i was flying into SY on the 000 radial inbound (180 TO Flag centred on CDI) and wish to arc to intercept the 270 radial inbound (090 TO Flag centred on CDI) does it matter if i arc around with the TO Flag along the radials or should you arc around with the FM flag.

Cheers

Wally Mk2
28th Jul 2009, 03:15
If you are wanting to go 'to' a station then the "TO" flag needs to be displayed.
Whilst conducting a DME Arc for Eg.(+/- 2 nm) yr not actually on a radial as such, well yr crossing them all the time really (You can center the CDI anytime to see the current radial yr actually crossing that instant) so as long as the 'TO" flag is up and the CDI set to show the actual radial you want to intercept to say complete a rwy approach procedure then you should only have the "TO" flag visable because you obviously want to go 'to' the facility.

Hope this helps:ok:

Wmk2

greybeard
28th Jul 2009, 03:25
Agree with above, TO flag is the way, using the RMI needle if you have one for the current radial situation awareness.
Also have found some IRS/GPS can draw an arc which can mean a constant angle of bank, rather than the 10 degree before/after process of turns in the arc.
You can end up with a head full of "bank angle" which when you need to fly wings level on approach can give you worms.
Vertigo is a factor not always understood.

:=

Capt Fathom
28th Jul 2009, 04:02
Try these Online Simulators (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning_VOR_Sim_2.aspx) if you haven't already.

AerocatS2A
28th Jul 2009, 13:27
In your scenario I would fly the 000 radial with the CDI on 180 and TO flag, then at ground speed/10 nautical miles from the required DME arc distance I would turn 80 degrees to the right and reset my CDI to 090 TO. I would then use an RMI needle if available and the DME distance to fly the arc until intercepting the 270 radial. If you want to be really clever you can work out a lead bearing for the 270 radial based on your expected ground speed and the 1/60 rule.