PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Europe with a FAA license

DerHausi
27th Jul 2009, 13:55
Hello, I am relatively new to JAA topics and would like to fly in Europe with my FAA license (live in Germany now). Is this at all possible ? Anyone any experience with flying in Germany and the UK ? I have spend quite some time in the US and fly there regularly but finding information on Europe has so far been proven quite difficult.

Phil77
27th Jul 2009, 14:42
Private flying yes, commercial no (except private carriage on N-registered aircraft - no charter).

Paperwork from the Luftfahrtbundesamt:
LBA Anerkennung von Erlaubnissen und Berechtigungen (http://www.lba.de/nn_61554/DE/Luftfahrtpersonal/Anerkennung/Anerkennung__node.html__nnn=true)

plus you need a radio station license. It probably makes sense to take an instructor up once or twice and read up on the regs (airspace is quite different for example).

GoodGrief
27th Jul 2009, 16:48
As per landings.com he has a PPL only. No commercial flying.

Sascha, download FCL-2, those are the rules we live by.

LBA Rechtsgrundlagen (http://www.lba.de/cln_010/nn_54066/SharedDocs/download/L/L1/L1__JAR-FCL2.html)

Runway101
27th Jul 2009, 19:29
For private flying, you can take any N-registered aircraft below 12500 lb and fly away if I am not wrong.

I believe if you want to fly D registered aircraft, you will need a validated license first. At least that's the way if you want to fly OE registered helicopters, then you need to get your license validated with Austrocontrol for a few Euros. I am not sure if you also need a type rating in addition to your validation...

What type(s) were you flying in the USA?

IRISHPILOT
27th Jul 2009, 19:34
to use any FAA licence outside US airspace, you need the US RT licence. cheap and no test, but you need it.

do a search on here on how to get it.

DerHausi
27th Jul 2009, 20:30
Thanks for all the quick feedback. Will do some more reading. As for the various questions:
1. I currently fly R22 / R44 and am almost done with CB300
2. I have a BZFII from the stone ages (20 years ago - tried a glider license then but went to the US after I passed)
3. US RT - is this not part of the license ? Can you really have this separately ?

Gordy
27th Jul 2009, 20:40
3. US RT - is this not part of the license ? Can you really have this separately ?

Yep... You need a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.
No test required for this one since you have your pilot certificate. Fill out and send in forms 605 and 159 with the fee and in a few weeks it will come in the mail to you.

Form 605 (http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html)

Runway101
28th Jul 2009, 06:56
DerHausi,

I used Das amerikanische Sprechfunkzeugnis (http://www.dr-schwahn-aviation.com/fcc_zeugnis.htm) to get that FCC Radio Station License (Euro 50 for them + USD 60 for FCC if I remember that correctly). Might be more expensive but saved me some typing, banking and mailing I guess. You get a temporary certificate directly, the original one comes after a few weeks. I have no other business or relation with that web site, just found it on web search. I've never been asked for it actually, but it's required as per FAR.

I have a R44 Raven II N-registered down at Lake Constance, if you are in for a short Europe trip as soon as the weather is somehow stable let me know. Cost will be low as I am otherwise going alone (would have sent a PM but you disabled the function).

DerHausi
28th Jul 2009, 07:28
Hi Alex et el,

thanks for the website link. Indeed much easier than the official forms. Started filling forms last night but that takes a while.... Have also talked to the LBA today after all the read from last night... lots to do... wish though they (FAA and JAA) could both just accept conversions. I understand the law bit but the rest ?

As for flying, most definitely, let me know, not easy to find N-registered R22/R44 in Germany. Thought this would be a piece of cake given the web but turned out not to be. Other recommendations here are welcome too.

BTW, only use skype as IM and have activated now. Just learning how to use the platform too....

Thanks again for all your comments,
Sascha

DerHausi
28th Jul 2009, 09:22
Hi Pilot.Pete, do you mean SFAR73 (Robinson requirements) ? I am current on those.

nouseforaname
10th Dec 2010, 14:32
Does the FAA rotorcraft private grant any privilages on a G-reg machine. I know that for fixwing you can fly day/vfr but not sure about helicopters.?

I've got the FAA private with MD500 signoff, looking to fly a friends MD500 G-reg.

md 600 driver
10th Dec 2010, 14:38
YES IF
you are from the uk
your BFR is up to date
your your faa medical is up to date
and you are included as a pilot on that registations insurance

steve

nouseforaname
10th Dec 2010, 18:30
they are all yes answers so thanks for your help.

chopjock
10th Dec 2010, 21:43
and you are included as a pilot on that registations insuranceI never knew that.
I have a friend with an FAA licence, he flies my G REG and he is not listed on the aircraft's insurance.

md 600 driver
10th Dec 2010, 23:28
any aircraft flying in uk airspace has to have at least 3rd part insurance inc n reg helicopters
as most helicopters insurance is named pilots your name needs to be on there otherwise your not insured

in the us n reg private helicopters dont have to have insurance

nigelh
12th Dec 2010, 10:13
I wouldnt necessarily agree . Most are insured for ANY pilot who is qualified and with the permission of the owner , and there may well be an age stipulation ( usually 80 and could be min no of hrs which i have )
Great advantage of the US licence is the ability to fly ANY medium / light helicopter without a type rating ( saves you a fortune keeping all your types up to date ) , No specific night rating needed . Also you can fly G reg pretty much all over the world .....the other way around and you are confined to UK airspace . For most GA pilots the FAA ticket is a much better one to have in every respect in my opinion .

nigelh
12th Dec 2010, 19:05
i am probably being thick but what point are you making ? I am not aware that you ever need any type cert or training on any helicopter ( other than robbos ) when flying on a FAA licence . Also i believe you can fly through almost all of europe with FAA licence in a G reg .

Jarvy
12th Dec 2010, 20:03
The point being made is that if you have a CAA issued license and you get a certificate that allows you to fly in the US it is not the same as having a FAA license.
I have a certificate that allows me to fly as a PPL based on my CAA CPL(H) but only on types I am current on my CAA license.

nigelh
12th Dec 2010, 20:56
Ok i understand . Mine is stand alone FAA but some are attached to your CAA and are only valid whilst your CAA is valid .... therefore you are into the trap of ratings etc

Mungo5
12th Dec 2010, 23:07
And you need an international radio operators cert from the FAA.. nothing complicated, obligatory form and small fee.

s1lverback
13th Dec 2010, 08:05
Licenses & Certificates (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/)

Don't see it on the FAA site though search provides reference to a Flight Radio Operator License under Aircraft Certification.

I have a standalone FAA cert, Rotary, SEL, MEL, IR...all done in the USA. No mention of international radio certificate..but I will check with the school now.

md 600 driver
13th Dec 2010, 08:41
mungo
you may be a little mistaken AFAIK a FAA registered helicopter needs a radio licence when operated out side the US not the pilot

but if all faa pilots need a seperate radio licence please show the reference to it in the FAR as a lot of us maybe breaking the law and would like to rectify

nigelh
13th Dec 2010, 11:07
I dont have one and have never even heard of one :eek:

Mungo5
13th Dec 2010, 13:57
I may well be mistaken.. I'm confirming at the moment, could also be more of an FCC rule than FAA.

I'll dig out the reg. to confirm or deny.

mungo
you may be a little mistaken AFAIK a FAA registered helicopter needs a radio licence when operated out side the US not the pilot

chopjock
13th Dec 2010, 14:31
as most helicopters insurance is named pilots your name needs to be on there otherwise your not insured

The process of having named pilots is just to have a discount on your premium.
If you choose not to have named pilots on your policy, you don't get the discount.
Nothing illegal in not having a discount or not naming pilots.
Therefore, it is not a legal requirement to be a named pilot in order to fly G- Reg helicopters with an FAA ticket. :)

md 600 driver
13th Dec 2010, 15:03
chopjock

read the quote you highlighted i never said it was a legal requirement to have your name on i said

but i do agree there are lots of insurance policys that allow any pilot

s1lverback
15th Dec 2010, 06:35
I have a UK PPL (A) with RT license...can I use that in conjunction with my FAA cert?

md 600 driver
15th Dec 2010, 16:36
Socal app RTFQ lol
this thead IS about flying a g reg machine

Does the FAA rotorcraft private grant any privilages on a G-reg machine. I know that for fixwing you can fly day/vfr but not sure about helicopters.?

I've got the FAA private with MD500 signoff, looking to fly a friends MD500 G-reg

s1lverback
15th Dec 2010, 17:45
I am flying G reg on my FAA standalone.

OK, I have selected RR and filled in the form online...fee is $60

Are we sure this required?... have been happily flying for two years on the G-reg :}

Anyhow..I have submitted an application (and paid the fee)..now in submitted state.

Will I get a plastic card or bit of paper saying I am licensed?

s1lverback
15th Dec 2010, 20:31
I have JAA PPL A (SEP, MEP, IMC), FAA Rotarcraft, SEL, MEL, IR

Don't have a JAA PPL H and have moved all my fixed wing ratings to FAA as less onerous to maintain.

There is no RL option online..only RR...according to the helpdesk...they will issue RR or RL based on your answers to the questions.:ok:

..and you get a credit card + a bit of paper for your $60 :}

48hrs processing + posting time...so I should get it before Xmas.

nigelh
16th Dec 2010, 16:04
When did this come about ? I have been flying all sorts of G reg helicopters without any type rating etc or radio licence for 20 years now !!! As for ratings i am certain you do not require any ratings on helis below a certain MAUW If yo now need a radio licence i shall have to look into it .....as far as i am aware all the people i know who fly on their FAA have no ratings and no radio licence and have never been informed of the need for one !! Out of interest what is the worst that could happen if you were caught ??

s1lverback
16th Dec 2010, 16:25
SoCal...if you file online via ULS...

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

Click on apply for a new license
Then select service...there is no RL listed ...only RR..I checked with the FCC desk, so I am fairly sure they know :ok:

My license has been issued RL as per my last post..I have just seen my license online to confirm.

Cheers
D

s1lverback
16th Dec 2010, 16:28
nigelh, you don't need a type rating on FAA system if Rotorcraft is under 12,500 lbs.

Ofcourse on JAA, you need a rating on each type (some cover others) and then an annual LPC on each too:E..kerching!

s1lverback
16th Dec 2010, 18:11
SoCal

Sadly don't have N-reg chopper available to me..hence using G :ok:

Not arguing, as I have followed your advice and am now legal :D

I always carry passport or drivers license with me too and the N-reg fixed wings I use are legal too.

It was the requirement for an RT license outside the US that was new to me (and others)..I'll let the other guys who trained with me know too tonight.

Thanks..you learn something new everyday :)

MICK6R4
10th Feb 2013, 21:09
Hi Lads
Can anyone advise,if i hold an Faa ppl and Faa commercial what can i fly in Uk, Europe and Ireland,are their limitations what i can do and where

nigelh
10th Feb 2013, 22:40
For the time being I believe you can fly any helicopter up to x kg ( bigger than you will need for sure !!!) but rules are changing soon .:ugh:

Chris66
11th Feb 2013, 21:44
I believe you will need a sign off to fly R22 or R44 on FAA

muermel
31st Mar 2016, 08:15
I'm looking for a FAA-CFI who can give me Flight Review in the R44. I'm a current CFI and have a valid Type Rating on the 44 so no ground is required. I will be flying 150-200 hours in the 44 over the summer and I want to log those as FAA-PIC too. I do have a 44 endorsement, it has expired though.

Im located in western Germany, 50 miles east of Cologne. So eastern Belgium or NL works too.

Thanks

DerHausi
31st Mar 2016, 09:04
There are FAA flight instructors at EBKT as far as I know. Need a flight review myself but have not gotten around to it yet.

Do you need a BFR or SFAR73?

muermel
31st Mar 2016, 10:55
Hmm, will look into EBKT. Actually my BFR is till valid until September 2017, just not my 44 endorsement.

I guess if I would do the BFR in the 44, plus some ground on SFAR 73 ground specific stuff I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so that's probably what's gonna happen.

So I guess an hours of ground would be required after all.

Ciao

DerHausi
31st Mar 2016, 11:15
The annual SFAR73 usually includes a BFR.
You only need the SFAR73 if you have less than 200 hours total helicopter and less than 50 hours R44/R22 respectively. If you exceed those, you are good with a valid BFR.
Send me a private message, have a contact at EBKT that may be able to help.

muermel
31st Mar 2016, 12:07
I know that the SFAR 73 counts as a "normal BFR". Problem is that I didn't do the BFR in September last year in a 44, I did it in a 22 so my 44 endorsement (CFI) isn't currently valid, ergo I can't act nor log PIC under FAA in the 44.

Bye