PDA

View Full Version : Will I have to present receipts for compensation?

nadineurban
27th Jul 2009, 13:06
Hello,

I feel like a airline operator is selling me short and I don't know who I could ask for advice. I came across this forum and was hoping someone could give me advice.

In short: I experienced a 5 hour delay on my flight from London to Budapest. There was at no point of the entire delay any customer service staff from the airline operator. The entire situation was very poorly handled. My partner and I complained after we returned from Budapest. We have been given an apology and been asked to scan in our receipts for refreshments. Without a receipt we would not get any compensation.

"...we cannot reimburse your additional food expenses without copies of valid receipts showing the amount paid, name of an item/service purchased, date and details of a shop/cafe in which the purchase was made." Airline Operator

No one from customer service spoke to us at any time during the delay. We did not know, that we would have to keep any receipts.

To settle the dispute I have asked for a £15 voucher or cheque for my expenses but the airline refuses to pay anything:

"...we cannot reimburse your additional food expenses without copies of valid receipts showing the amount paid, name of an item/service purchased, date and details of a shop/cafe in which the purchase was made." Airline Operator

Its not about the money here. Its more about my right. Could you please give me advice what I am entitles to?

I am thankful for any advice
Nadine

davidjohnson6
27th Jul 2009, 14:11
nadine - did you go to the desk of the airline ? Did anyone at the desk provide a document to you stating your rights under EU regulation 261/2004, and also provide the refreshment voucher and two free telephone calls that the EU requires be provided ?

For more info, have a read through The UK's Consumer Watchdog for the Aviation Industry | AUC Home (http://www.auc.org.uk/)

If not, then the airline failed to fulfil its statutory duty, and you have the right to make a formal complaint which the airline will have greater difficulty in ignoring. Good luck !

Crepello
27th Jul 2009, 15:14
Welcome to the forum!

Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but you may need to chalk this up to experience. It's reasonable for any organisation to request receipts before reimbursing expenses - to verify details and possibly reclaim the VAT.

If you paid by debit/credit card, you could try submitting an extract from your statement, with a note summarising the requested information?

Capetonian
27th Jul 2009, 15:25
The information given by davidjohnson6 is correct. Don't give up on your rights. Most consumer organisations will try to put obstacles in your way and most people don't pursue it.

Fight back and you will get compensation, those who shout loudest always do (I don't mean that literally!). You are right, it's about the principle not the money.

ExXB
27th Jul 2009, 16:13
Typical case of the airline ignoring their responsibilities under the EU Regulation. They MUST provide you with information on your rights and MUST provide you (give without being asked) meal vouchers.

They know this, but are just playing the game. Call the AUC and ask them to help. They will.

Final 3 Greens
27th Jul 2009, 16:49
nadine

Disregard Crepello's post, he is wrong.

David Johnson 6 and ExxB are right.

Good luck.

nadineurban
27th Jul 2009, 18:33
Many thankd to everyone, who replyed so quickly!

I will write a Consumer Rights organisation a letter.

Nadine

Crepello
27th Jul 2009, 20:39
Good luck. It's a shame you've to go to such trouble to claim your entitlement.

Aha - I see my old friend F3G has graced us with his presence! Always a pleasure, and...
Disregard Crepello's post, he is wrong.
... charming as usual! But once again, the fact that my opinion differs from yours does not mean I am 'wrong' any more than you are 'right'. :rolleyes:

ExXB
27th Jul 2009, 20:41
can I suggest you give them a call For advice and to see if we can help with a complaint against an airline or an airport call our advice line on 020 7240 6061 (open Monday to Thursday 9.30am to 2.30pm) or email us at complaints @ auc .org. uk after having a look at How to complain | AUC Home (http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=2186).

Capetonian
27th Jul 2009, 20:50
.. charming as usual! But once again, the fact that my opinion differs from yours does not mean I am 'wrong' any more than you are 'right'.

You didn't give any hard facts, you simply expressed an opinion and you're fully entitled to do so. The fact is that most of us here seem to disagree with you and think that Nadine does have some rights in this case and should pursue them through the correct channels.

Maybe we're all out of step except you, Crepello!

Crepello
27th Jul 2009, 21:06
At the risk of taking another thread off topic: Where did I comment on the rights of the OP, or offer my opinion on how she should pursue them? I merely pointed out that claiming any expense without receipts can cause difficulties, then suggested an alternate means of documentation. :confused: :confused:

Final 3 Greens
27th Jul 2009, 21:15
Crepello

Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but you may need to chalk this up to experience.

That is pretty emphatic, but misleading.

As has been said, maybe the rest of us are out of step with you Crepello?

Crepello
27th Jul 2009, 21:31
With respect guys, if the OP had retained receipts to support her claim, this matter may have been resolved by now. So why is it 'misleading' to suggest this might have been a good idea? I know very little of the legislation, policies or entitlements, which is why I didn't offer advice in these regards. If I failed to make this sufficiently clear, then I take your point.

You may well be a little out of step. You're certainly a little out of line, IMHO. But it seems the OP has the information she requested so hopefully this thread has served his purpose.

eliptic
27th Jul 2009, 21:42
The passenger are not obligated to present anything,, the airline ARE obligated to offered free of charge:
meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the
waiting time.

Before even a receipt are produced to present

Final 3 Greens
28th Jul 2009, 06:09
Crepello

Time to stop digging the hole. :}