PDA

View Full Version : BRNAV equipment on ICAO flight plan

Tolka
27th Jul 2009, 07:48
How do you confirm that you have BRNAV equipment on the ICAO flight plan form. In my case I have standard coms and also a mode S transponder. I understand that you should put the letter "R" in field no 10. Should I insert SR/S in this field or is it S/RS or something else.

crjlover
27th Jul 2009, 08:16
the transponder goes after the /. So is SR/S.
R stand that you meet the RNP required for the route that you are going to fly.

BackPacker
27th Jul 2009, 08:17
Standard comms (VHF RTF, ADS, VOR, ILS) and a mode S would be S/S.

Depending on what you mean with BRNAV capability (GPS, INS, something else) you might need to add C, G, R, W, X, Y.

Most likely you'll be looking at SG/S. If you have anything fancier than that, you're probably in the wrong forum.:)

This is one of the hits that Google came up with:

Atlas Aviation - ICAO Flight Plan instructions directions information (http://www.atlasaviation.com/Flight%20Planning/ICAOFlightPlan/ICAO_Flight_Plan4.htm)

In another thread a week or so ago we discussed the merits of the equipment field, and it was confirmed that ATC doesn't look at the field to decide what sort of routing they'll give you. Even if you only file S/S they'll happily clear you direct to an intersection hundreds of miles away. On the other hand, I have heard stories that the Eurocontrol computer will throw a flight plan out if your equipment doesn't meet the minimum route requirement, particularly mode-S.

IO540
27th Jul 2009, 08:29
I have heard stories that the Eurocontrol computer will throw a flight plan out if your equipment doesn't meet the minimum route requirement, particularly mode-S.

The only equipment list issue I know of which CFMU will chuck a flight out for is not declaring 8.33 if filing at FL200+. I've tested this and it does indeed happen.

Maybe it chucks out some RVSM-airspace stuff too but that comes in a lot higher up.

The one bizzare thing which I did recently get was some "overly diligent" operative at homebriefing.com who amended my filed route (which was NOT marked "ifps reroute accepted) from FL100 to FL090 because I filed (as I always do) S/S and thus did not declare BRNAV carriage which is mandatory at FL100+. So now I always file SYRG/S :)

I am not sure that SG/S would be enough, because while GPS is the only means of GA compliance with BRNAV, it is actually the BRNAV bit (R) which matters in the legal equipment-carriage sense. A suitably approved KNS80 would actually meet BRNAV too legally (though not usefully).

10W
27th Jul 2009, 09:53
Lack of PRNAV, 8.33, and RVSM are the only things flagged up at the UK Area Control Centres ... where it's appropriate for the filed flight.

IO540
27th Jul 2009, 10:21
Lack of PRNAV?

Is there any PRNAV-mandatory enroute airspace yet? (Amsterdam TMA at night; somebody mentioned).

There are PRNAV SIDs/STARs but CFMU does not check that - especially as all airports concerned have non PRNAV ones (they have to).

10W
28th Jul 2009, 13:15
How can ATC clear you for a PRNAV procedure if they don't know your equipment fit ? :confused: That's why the system takes it from your flight plan.

I didn't mention anything about mandatory airspace or your plan being rejected by CFMU (although I think you probably mean IFPS), simply that the lack of PRNAV is flagged up to UK ACCs. This is so they can give an appropriate clearance to an individual aircraft ..... where it's appropriate for the filed flight and routes exist. If you have the choice of following a PRNAV route or a 'normal' one, then at least UK ACC's are going to know which one you can accept without getting in to a long winded conversation on the RT about what you can and can't fly.

Assuming you've filed the plan correctly in the first place of course :ok:

Sir George Cayley
29th Jul 2009, 20:02
In UK controlled airspace volumes B-RNAV starts at FL95 and up.

You got big lungs? Oxygen? Pressurised?

And you do have an ADF too? Bendix 12B (state of the art 1963)

And what do you expect as a result of being compliant? No side to this just innerested.

Sir George Cayley

IO540
31st Jul 2009, 10:44
How can ATC clear you for a PRNAV procedure if they don't know your equipment fit ?

That's now how it works, AIUI.

A "PRNAV procedure" can only be a STAR, or possibly a SID.

The huge majority of (for example) high-end bizjets are not PRNAV approved, not to mention 99.99% of lighter GA.

That is why any such airport also has a conventional STAR, and the PRNAV one states on the plate "advise ATC if unable to comply".

The normal ATC procedure is to assume that the plane carries the required equipment.

If ATC at airports that have PRNAV terminal procedures do use the equipment list to decide whether to offer a PRNAV procedure, that would be quite a nice way to do it. But IME that is not how it works.