PDA

View Full Version : i need help to choose a jaa course in US

dehapisirici
27th Jul 2009, 04:58
i know i must search this question in forum but i would like see your answers about me not general...

im in LA now.im studing english in a language school i want to join a pilot traning course in us so its so expensive in my country.

orlando
ormond
naples
european
uk

i could find only 5 course.please tell me your exp. if you have.
which one is best,which one is cheaper than anothers.i have talked orlando flight training but nobody said a fix cost.they always say different first day said 50000 second day said maybe 55000.

i sent a e-mail to naples but nobody answered that :)

european look good but i cant be sure.

ım sorry about my english.i arrived my course 1 months ago and it isnt enough to talking and writing but if you can understand,please tell me your exp and minds.i can understand english :)

epsomepp
28th Jul 2009, 14:08
Hey mate,

Im in discussion with Adam from OFT. Their CFI was made redundant a few weeks back and now has been replaced. Im looking to go to OFT to start the JAA Pro Pilot Course, either in October or December.
Ive been reading all the forums related to schools in Florida and you hear many negative things about every school. Advice is to listen but make your own judgement. There are too many people on this site that can throw you off course and make you ponder what school to go to. I will let you know what Adam says. Give me till Thursday.

All the best.

G-ADAM
28th Jul 2009, 15:50
Hi guys, I see you are looking at OFT as an option. This is where I did my PPL last year...

Like you said, both good and bad things to say about every school. Based solely on my experiences these are a few pros and cons about OFT

Pros

- Better weather than the UK (foggy early morn in winter, storms most afternoons in summer so beware!)
- Generally cheaper than a PPL in the UK (and most of Europe??)
- Good fun! Being around like mided people in Florida is a real laugh. Plenty to do on your 'down time' but don't let that take over the flying!
- No landing fees or PPR so you can pretty much go where you like, within reason.
- Airspace is less busy and there is more uncontrolled airspace
- Radio work is a bit more relaxed so can help when training

Cons

- WATCH THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT!! OFT can be very sneaky, I'm certainly not the first, nor will I be the last, to have what appear to be random charges leaving my account. Just keep an eye on your funds and regularly ask for a print out.
- Because it is far more relaxed, you are not as well prepared for flying in the UK or Europe
- Training methods are JAA but they are taught mainly by americans... who initially were taught under FAA. Result- if they don't fully understand the JAA way of doing things they revert back to doing it their way. Fine to pass a PPL skills test in the US but it won't cut it back here (no disrespect to the FAA guys out there, we just do things differently!)
- A/C are just not up to scratch. The maintainance is questionable to say the least so make sure you are taught how to do a walk round properly and make sure you do it!! THIS IS IMPORTANT. Do not think you've done it a hundred times before so you wont bother, check everything. If you find a problem, tell someone. Do not feel under pressure to fly an A/C you are not happy with.

These are just a few of my thoughts so hopefully they will give you something to think about. I loved my time in America, it really was great! The instructors all tend to be nice guys (not sure if there are any girls there at the moment??) and provided you work hard, they will too. Having completed most of the instrument rating back here in the UK I can see where training in the US can lead to serious issues in your basic flying ability which take time to iron out. However it's a good place to hour build initially because you have so much freedom. Just beware, if I were you, I'd save some hours to do in your home country if you plan on flying in Europe before you start any professional training to get used to the way things work.

One thing I will say is don't just go for the cheapest option particularly if you plan on doing this as a career! It is important to get the right training. Yes price may well be a factor but don't let it be the overriding one when making a decision like this! It is a huge investment, so choose wisely :)

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask away!

Ad

pilotbear
29th Jul 2009, 20:24
PTC Florida
www.pilottrainingcollege.com (http://www.pilottrainingcollege.com)

epsomepp
30th Jul 2009, 13:38
dehapisirici (http://www.pprune.org/members/306367-dehapisirici) I will let you know tomorrow (Friday) what Adam says. I rang yesterday but he was out of the office and I went out for the evening so Im ringing again tonight.

In a bit!

epsomepp
31st Jul 2009, 15:19
dehapisirici (http://www.pprune.org/members/306367-dehapisirici) I spoke with Adam. I wrote everything down and accidentally delted it.. very annoying! Anyway send me you're email and I will send you what he gave me. You're right you do have to budget for around $55000 all in all. I would make it $60000 on the safe side but with living expenses such as food, water, going out.. meeting women :) all in all around $73000.

Like I said send me you're email and I will break down the costing for you.