PDA

View Full Version : Freelance for the uninitiated

jockspice
26th Jul 2009, 22:40
Since leaving the military some months ago, I have tried to find a permanent flying job in the outside world with no success. Although I seem to have done all the right things, much of which suggested by those in business or flying jobs, as well as on these forums, the lucky penny hasn't turned up yet. One thing I have found out, however, is that there still seems to be gainfull employment for freelance pilots in the UK.
Does anyone have a handy idiots guide on becoming a freelance helo pilot or even some hints and tips? After trawling pprune, researching the uk.gov websites and the tax pages, it seems quite a daunting expedition.

(quick stats - CPL(H), AS355 TR and Instrument Rating, >2100 hrs twin turbine, MCC +ATPL exams tick.)

Sir Niall Dementia
27th Jul 2009, 07:10
Jockspice;

You have done all the right things, just your timing is bad. Most companies at the moment are using free-lancers, we certainly are. However the team we use are the ones we have always used, the amount of work we have to spread around has gone down and we would rather look after those who have looked after us in the past than take on anyone new. Also you have to look at the budgets of the companies concerned, can they afford LPC/OPC/Line training for a new guy at the moment? Certainly our training budget is the area we look at closest as it is one of the few areas where, with some juggling we can make some savings. While we can keep everyone going we will, but we won't be taking on anyone new for the foreseeable future. To get a new guy up to speed will cost a minimum two hours for LPC/OPC and then can we get him on enough two crew jobs to line train him?

Keep plugging away and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. A couple of freelancers I know (they don't do any here) have decided to take this year off and do other things with more regular income, a very brave move and not one I would really advocate, but they have famillies to feed and aviation has not been bringing in enough cash.

Good Luck!

Horror box
27th Jul 2009, 09:24
Jockspice, hang in there. I think you are doing and have done all the right things, and as was said previously, it was just a timing issue. This will however change sooner or later and things will pick up. I am pretty sure Bond and Bristow will be hiring again fairly soon, so try and get some in roads there if you know anyone on the inside. There are plenty of other ex-mil already in there, so maybe you already know someone who knows someone. If not feel free to pm me. You have all the requirements any offshore company will need to hire you, if that is what you want to do, so it may just be a bit of a waiting game.

Non-PC Plod
27th Jul 2009, 09:29
Jock,

Bad timing at the moment. From what I can see of the industry at the moment, your best chance to tide you over is probably in the Middle East, either Police or offshore. Do you have any instructional quals? - (HWI doesnt cut it in the civvy world unfortunately). If so, there may be TRI or simulator training opportunities avalible in Europe. If you are interested, PM me.

Good luck mate.

jockspice
27th Jul 2009, 21:05
Thanks to all who have taken the time to post or PM me. It is, like any good comedy, all about timing and mine sucks at the moment, but that's the way it is. As an untried and untested freelancer, would a way in to be to do it cheaper than the next person? Would this seriously upset others trying to make a crust or would it be acceptable since I am trying to get a foot in the door?
Continued advice gratefully received! :ok:

What Limits
27th Jul 2009, 22:04
I wouldn't recommend that unless you wish to be at the eye of a maelstrom of abuse! You will also place yourself at a lower level of ability and quality.

Remember that you are trying to sell yourself into an overstocked market. What is your USP? You have severely limited yourself by only having a 355 TR, what market are you aiming for?

Look around and open your eyes, even if you get a name, what will you do if the phone doesn't ring for three months or if you lose your name entirely?

In the freelance market, your reputation is everything.

jockspice
27th Jul 2009, 23:30
What Limits,

I take what you are saying, but in my view, I have no civil reputation, so I need to be realistic in building one. I've been flying the great and good for Aunty Betty for the past 16 years, but I have logged zero hours in the civil commercial sector, for example. In order to build up a reputation and a commercial ability, wouldn't I have to be realistic and start slowly? I have no doubt I can fly to any airfield or remote site as well as the next man, but won't a potential employer will always take the experienced pilot over the non-experienced at the same price? Perhaps honesty of ones own experience is the stuff reputations are built of?
As for type ratings, the twin squirell is a start point; once I have finished the extension of the East wing, I'll place more funds at my disposal. :}

What Limits
28th Jul 2009, 00:54
But you already have a reputation, ex-mil, experienced, VIP single-pilot IFR, all over UK, other expeditions, exercises and operations. You just need to find a Chief Pilot who understands your banter.

One TR is very limiting. If you want to work, get an EC135 and MD902 TR. Also buy a Police and HEMS line check.

I was a freelance for two years in the UK. Its a terrible time worldwide to get a job, for new-hires and experienced pilots.

Will the Mil take you back for a couple of years? What about the schools/simulators. If you have QHI credential, use it at least until the market picks up a little.

Good luck

RoToR_V8D
28th Jul 2009, 04:38
I have recently finished 17 years in the Mil downunder - Air Force and Navy in Oz. I was really hoping to get a job flying helicopters, but my hours are too low to get a look in for the contracts that most end users stipulate these days. Most of my time was fixed wing. Even so, most of the Military drivers are only getting 100-120hrs a year, irrespectve of branch of Service. Ten years return of service and you can't get job as a Co-ey?! G-WHIZZ!

The main reason I wanted touch base with you though? Don't give up! I've been out for just over a year. I have a job that was supposed to be UMTP on a brand spanking Military Helo, but it slowly turned into a classroom teaching scenario, through various, sinister twists and turns of the contract knife.

If you live for your flying, and it sounds like you do, press! I am on the cusp of finally scoring some part-time flying where my employer will release me to help maintain my currencies, without me having to take leave. Looks like R44s and a C208 on Floats - I hope...

If you're not up to your eyeballs in debt or other ties, why not investigate further afield? Canada, South America, India - I know there was mob in India looking for B3 driver a while back. Hell of an adventure.

Like one of the chaps said earlier though, you have to work out what your end goal is before you pull out the machette and start hacking a path to freedom.

Personally, it couldn't get much better for me now - Amphib Float Planes, Rotary Wing Flying, Piston and Turbine engines, lecturing in FBW, MFDs and DKUs, and gaining a healthy intro to the wonderful world of commercial aviation/tourism - all at the same time? Nirvana!

Chin up. I am serially unlucky, and I've burnt more bridges than I can possibly repair - but it's working for me. It'll work for you too!!

P.S. TIP: It is amazing how much more credibility you have when you make a point of folowing up a contact six months down the track. They know you're serious, and at least here in Australia, they actually start to listen to what you're offering. Just my two cents anyway. Shame 'bout the rugger though....

jockspice
28th Jul 2009, 07:07
Going back to the mil isn't an option; it would negate the point of leaving and the cost to my family is not worth it.
Thanks again for the replies.

What Limits
28th Jul 2009, 14:13
By the way - welcome to reality.

fluffy5
28th Jul 2009, 15:50
The employment sector for you will be the police, hems and offshore. It's time for alot of cv's to be sent and alot of traveling around meeting and greeting people. Unfortunately employment in uk is decreasing quickly all through out of this year. Try international, not bad gigs in nigeria,ivory coast and the middle east.
fluffy

Epiphany
28th Jul 2009, 17:40
I am surprised to hear that pilots are voluntarily leaving the military without an offer of employment. Those about to leave take note. If you want a flying job then don't leave unless you have something to leave for.
Once you are out your qualifications and skills erode very quickly and expensively.

jockspice
28th Jul 2009, 18:44
You leave the military when you don't want to be a part of the military any more, not because you have an offer of employment outside. Granted, it should be a factor in your decision, but not, in my experience anyway, the main reason. If it was, I think I would have questioned why I had joined in the first place.

Epiphany
28th Jul 2009, 19:01
I was not questioning your decision to leave the military which is a personal one and it must be a very difficult place to be at the moment particularly for those with families. I was suggesting that moving on from any job is something that needs to be planned - particularly if you have a family needing to be fed. I am sure that you gave it lots of thought and have a plan B.

I was just suggesting to others who may be considering leaving and are reading this that you need to be sending out CV's and talking with people months before you leave and have a good idea of the job market before you make the move. As you have discovered things are not good at the moment.

As others have said though it is a cyclical industry and just 12 months ago you would have had little problem in getting a job. Give it another 12 months and the situation may be the same. Good luck.

mwelch
28th Jul 2009, 19:06
After 21 years of mil and 4 years of corporate I miss the green blanket too. I had to take a contract job in Mexico delivering helo to make ends meet. Still looking and I have and ATP in airplanes and Helo's with several type ratings and part 135 experience and still nothing. I wish you luck and don't give up the fight!

Non-PC Plod
29th Jul 2009, 13:38
Jock,

Dont discount the value of the old boy network. Reputation does count for a lot, and when you apply for a job, if there is any ex-mil connection someone is going to talk to a friend of a friend who will have been on a Squadron with you.
Anyone who has flown green machines (or, if you must, grey ones!) knows the rigours of training and selection, and knows that they get a fairly predictable product if they hire you. You just need to find all your ex-mil mates now and get the beers in!

jockspice
7th Aug 2009, 21:55
Plod

Believe me, I'm trying everything and the old school tie, but still no luck! :ugh:

jockspice
10th Sep 2009, 08:47
Another quick question or two; with the season seeming almost over for corporate flying, what does the freelancer turn to when the phone rings a lot less? Do you make enough during the summer to survive a lean winter?

VeeAny
10th Sep 2009, 09:12
TESCO !

Seriously though I write software / develop web sites when flying is quiet, the beauty (!!) of coming from another job into helicopters, when it goes quiet you can do something else.