PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Libya and Egypt

ThrustLust
26th Jul 2009, 22:34
Ladies and Gents - I'm planning to take an Cirrus SR22 to Libya and Egypt in about three weeks. Routing through France, Spain, Sicily and into Libya and Egypt:

1. Tripoli (international or Mitiga) (HLLT/HLLM)
2. Gahdames (HLTD)
3. Benghazi (HLLB)

4. Luxor
5. Cairo

I'm planning to use overflight.co.uk for the paperwork etc but if there is anyone out there who has experience of flying in Libya and Egypt - in particular these airfields - then I'd be glad to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

SU-GCM
27th Jul 2009, 23:01
Hi if you are planing to fly to Cairo / HEOC 6th October take care that it's closed Saturday/Monday And Wednesday and Gliders activitiy on Fridays

Mister Geezer
29th Jul 2009, 20:18
If given the choice then use Mitiga instead of Tripoli International. Mitiga is close to the city centre so ideal if you spend any length of time in Tripoli plus the handling might be more attentive there too since it is quieter.

Benghazi is pretty straight forward but not been to Ghadames so can't comment on that one! Only thing to bear in mind on that trip is that you might loose VHF comms for a short spell on the way to Ghadames so just ask nicely for a relay and I am sure someone will help you out! :ok:

Check you can get AVGAS where you are going in Libya, since it is seldom used nowadays. Credit cards are not often used in Libya, so make sure that fuel etc is either paid in hard currency or bought on credit though whoever is arranging your handling.

You will probably need a visa for Libya unless you can enter on a 'Gen Dec' however perhaps the authorities may raise an eyebrow if you try that in a SR22! You also need a Arabic translation of your personal details for Libya. Once stamped into the country you also need an authorisation stamp from the government passport office to allow you to leave. The rules can change so check in advance since you can be held for hours (speaking from experience! :} ) if your docs are not in order!

Libya to Egypt will be a lovely trip since the coastline on that route is very picturesque. Not sure what Cairo airfield your going to but don't be worried about going to Cairo International in a light aircraft. It is about as easy as it gets when flying into a large airfield. ATC are not bad and the airspace is very simple.

Enjoy

ThrustLust
1st Aug 2009, 11:35
I decided to go down the visa route as concluded that I was indeed taking the 'Micky' by trying to get away without one. :)

I really appreciate both your replies and hints - here's hoping the visas come through!

Cheers - ThrustLust

B200Drvr
3rd Aug 2009, 08:32
I fly out of HECA, no problems at all, just be careful of the airport layout, some publications already say Rwy 5C, which is actually 5R as the new 5R is not done yet, If landing in a northerly direction, it will be 5R, as 5L is for take-off only. ATC are generally good, and we do have GA flights coming in here. Egyptian visa is available on arrival for $15.
Good flight.

SU-GCM
4th Aug 2009, 10:21
HECA 05R Has just been Closed Dueto Disabled Aircraft :E
05L Now active for both takeoff and Landing