PDA

View Full Version : UDYZ ILS09 chart

Boroda
26th Jul 2009, 05:29
Can anybody help me to identify right meaning of the 140 radial line from holding over ZVR? Spasibo.

IFly86N
26th Jul 2009, 06:13
http://www.armats.com/rus/sai/products/eaip/graphics/UDYZ%20AD%202-2-27-53.pdf

Good question. Best guess is that it is a procedure turn from the ZVR VOR back to the VOR for the ILS/DME 09 approach, either from a) a hold at ZVR or, b) an airway arrival. In both cases the VOR is the IAF.

There are no other logical reasons for it.

Boroda
26th Jul 2009, 09:18
Best guess, but not fo sure so far. I asked at UDYZ briefing, but they seemed to be not confident when answered that the aim is for back course RW27 landing - it is not true I think.

bflyer
26th Jul 2009, 09:28
HiJust got back from UDYZ this morning...we operate regularly into this airportIf you enter the holding over ZVR, the only way to legaly reverse course to commence an ILS approach is to go out on 140 deg for 4.3 dme then turn left keeping you ias below 215kias to reduce the turn radius to accomodate the terrain which will be to the right of the aircraft during the turnit is a course reversal maneuver out of the hold to commence approach

FCS Explorer
26th Jul 2009, 18:58
i think that's called an "allignment turn"
otherwise it's impossible to get from the holding inb track of 085° to the approach outbnd track of 249 (or 256) ....

IFly86N
26th Jul 2009, 19:40
Best guess, but not fo sure so far. I asked at UDYZ briefing, but they seemed to be not confident when answered that the aim is for back course RW27 landing - it is not true I think.I didn't find any legal BC approaches to Rwy 27, so I would agree (with you) that is not true.

peacock1
27th Jul 2009, 21:33
the term "alignment turn", is correct.

one would only expect to use that procedure, in the event of a radar failure, and the unavailability of radar vectors, when joining the proceedure, from the hold.

an example closer to home(ireland), which I once had to do due to radar failure, was(maybe still is) Edinburgh runway 24.

great question, though.

"das vidanya" from Cork(EICK)

Boroda
28th Jul 2009, 19:30
Das vidaniya means see you later:ok:. Anyway thanks.

Hot Rod
23rd Oct 2009, 17:53
Hi.

I would like to have some general info about winter operations into UDYZ, weather night/day, RWY in use (09 for landing-27 for T/O?), things to look out for etc...

bflyer
24th Oct 2009, 06:26
Gentlemen

The mentioned turn is not to perform a back course procedure for rwy 27..it is to reverse course an commence an ILS approach for rwy 09

We normally arrive trough a point called INDUR which according to the jeppesen STAR must be crossed at or above FL140 and it used to be at or above FL160..therefore a direct ILS approach on to rwy 09 was not always possible ( acft heavy...need for eng&wing anti ice in winter...etc )
so you proceed to ZVR vordme holding an loose altitude in the hold and when it is jugged feasible to commence your approach, you leave ZVR holding on radial 140 deg to 4.3 DME turn left back to the vor then leave the vor on radial 249 deg reducing speed to 190 kts max to 9.3 DME then turn right to intercept the ILS FRONT course to ryw 09

regards
bf

Mäx Reverse
24th Oct 2009, 06:47
@ hot rod

Haven't been there for abaout 2 year. We operate to UDYZ only by nighttime, so no comments on the situation during day.

Elevation is ~ 3.000 ft, weather can be hot even by night in the summer. TOW Performance restrictions might apply.

Ground Ops is nominal, no complaints - however usually only CSA some other European Airline I don't remeber and us arrive/depart at the same time, so traffic is rather slow. De-Icing with Type II available, about two years ago there was no fuel available and we had tanker return fuel, can get tigth with the Type II LOUT. (-25°C?)

ATC is moderate at best, even with the slow traffic they seem to be on the edge or they are just plain dog tired as the crews. Landing usually on 09 with TOs on 27 - recipe for desaster. Once just after departing 27 and contacting Approach they told us to turn right HDG 330 due to opposite traffic. Unfortunately this heading takes you directly to the big red spots on your EGPWS display...

As Armenia obviously doesn't like it's neighbours and vv. the coordination with adjacent ATC units is zip - painful if you have to avaoid. The ALT restriction bflyer mentioned can be annoying, however in the A319/320 you can usually make it straight in if you arrive over INDUR with F-speed and Flaps2, let the speed build up in the descent and use speed brakes as required. In the A321 you need to lower the Gear at INDUR.

Especially in the winter look for a good alternate, we usually plan for Ankara or Baku. Forget Tbilisi - that's even worse than Yerevan.

Enjoy!

BRGDS, MAX reverse

DA50driver
24th Oct 2009, 06:51
How would you exit a hold to start the approach here if not for the 140 degree heading? The holding pattern will keep you inside the FAF, so you need a way to get established outbound.

Hot Rod
3rd Nov 2009, 08:32
Thanks a lot, Mäx R. Appreciate it :ok:

Mäx Reverse
3rd Nov 2009, 18:57
You're welcome!

PM me if you need further info. What A/C type's involved?

RGDS, MAX