PDA

View Full Version : Which license should I train for?

TheFlyingGuitarist
25th Jul 2009, 17:57
Dear all in the PPRune forums

I have always wanted to fly and would love it to be my 'bread and butter' one day (or at least i think i will be), so I have started researching into the different types of license that are possible to get. After a while of researching, I have to admit, im pretty confused to know what to start saving for.
But either way, I have come to the conclusion that I need my PPL first! at least this way its a good grounding and i'll know for certain after a few lessons if I definetely want to fly for a living.
So my questions are:
1) do I save for a JAA PPL, or a FAA PPL?

2) I know it will be a LOT cheaper to go to the states and do an FAA so can I convert an FAA to a JAA, and how much for?

3) Where can I fly with an FAA as opposed to with a JAA

4) If I get an FAA PPL and then Convert to a JAA PPL, would I have two licenses? (therefore less limitations on what I can and can't do)

Hopefully I haven't come across too stupid and any help would be fantastic.

MAny thanks

AlphaMale
25th Jul 2009, 22:32
You can find your answers here (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html).

After a while of researching

I assume not in the link above :E

But either way, I have come to the conclusion that I need my PPL first!

Not really.

1) do I save for a JAA PPL, or a FAA PPL?

Matter of opinion.

2) I know it will be a LOT cheaper to go to the states and do an FAA so can I convert an FAA to a JAA, and how much for?

I was going to go the FAA route when you could get $2 to the £1 but now that is not the case, spreading the cost, not having to take 4/5/6 weeks off work, flights to Florida, hotel bills etc makes it just as cheap to gain the PPL in the UK in the airspace I will do the IR/CPL in.

You'll find many people saying "If you want to work in the UK - Train in the UK!"

Not much point in converting to JAA if you're looking to gain your fATPL as you can sit the ATPL GS with an FAA or JAA PPL.

3) Where can I fly with an FAA as opposed to with a JAA

Pretty sure you can fly to the same places although sometimes it can be a little tricky. You'll realise what I mean when you research a little more.

4) If I get an FAA PPL and then Convert to a JAA PPL, would I have two licenses?

Yes, but it's easier to convert a JAA PPL (with 50hrs) to FAA than it is to convert an FAA PPL (with 50hrs) to JAA.

... I'm sure the link well help you out no end.

Good luck ;)

wolf_peace87
26th Jul 2009, 10:25
If your interested in doing your JAA license check out MIGOT flying school, Latvia. I just came across affordable Flight Schools there delivering JAA PPL,CPL,ME/IFR fATPL.:ok:

Best of Luck.