PDA

View Full Version : Rob Avery ATPL special

dik cheney
25th Jul 2009, 06:57
Hey all,

There is a special at the moment for 3 online courses (Nav, Flight Planning, Systems), for $990. Can anyone comment on the quality of these courses? Or is one best to pay the extra and do them through AFT.

Cheers

tmpffisch
25th Jul 2009, 07:45
I noticed that a few days ago. Also interested on the quality of these.
I've used a few of the CPL exams he's got, questions seem more difficult compared to the Bob Tait exams (studied using the Bob Tait books).
I'd argue that both Rob and Bob have missed the mark a little in their practice exams; they vary a fair bit between each other, and Robs are harder than the CASA exam, Bob's are easier than the CASA exam.

maverick22
25th Jul 2009, 11:28
Can't really comment on all of his material, but I bought Rob Avery ATPL NAV cos they were going cheap at the time. Wasn't too impressed though... half the material was not relevent to NAV at all. Ended up wasting money, as I bought the AFT books in the end.

I truly reckon you're best off with the AFT books. Worth their weight in gold and when you get stuck, the support you get (phone/email) is most impressive :ok:

BrazDriver
25th Jul 2009, 12:18
Highly recommend Rob Avery. I never came across a CASA question that the answer wasn't in his texts.

Rob goes above the ATPL Sylabus, many useful things in there to learn for airline interviews and also has answers that many check captains might ask down the line! Far better than AFT!

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th Jul 2009, 12:58
I studied Flight Planning using AFT and then bought a set of Rob Avery practice exams. Big mistake! Not because Rob Avery's style doesn't work but because I was used to the AFT methods I simply couldn't follow through on his workings as the methods seemed alien to me. The answers were all the same though so I got it sorted in the end.

AFT was great but don't expect the two approaches to jive perfectly.

~FRQ CB

RadioSaigon
25th Jul 2009, 13:04
Couldn't agree more BrazDriver :ok:

Rob prepares his students very thoroughly not only for the exams but for an active professional life beyond the classroom too. Backup by phone, email, in person too -hard to beat.

None better IMO.

eeper23
26th Jul 2009, 03:53
But dont you just want to pass the ATPL exams? Who cares really, your not gonna use none of that **** in the end. Why bother learning useless information, when you can just read the AFT notes which teach you how to pass the exam? :ugh:

RadioSaigon
26th Jul 2009, 04:04
There is a lot more to being a professional pilot, eeper23, than "just learning enough to pass the exams".

Maybe you'll figure that out for yourself someday -or we'll get to read about you in the crash comics, before we get to analyse your performance in here.

:ugh: indeed.

BrazDriver
26th Jul 2009, 04:50
:ugh: Congratulations on passing your ATPL. Then you start to wonder why you cant pass a technical interview and use the licence!

And if you don't think you will use your so called ''****'', wake up to the real world where using the theory is a daily occurrence.

aviatrix97
28th May 2017, 23:43
Hey there guys,
im just starting on my ATPL flight planning and im just wondering if theres a site where we can get flight planning questions

100% Ng
29th May 2017, 00:18
I used Rob Avery for my ATPL probably 15 years ago and found the content very good. Passes all ATPL's first time around and he was also very approachable and happy to help if I had any further questions.

Recommend.

demid
29th May 2017, 21:59
I used Rob Avery for my ATPL probably 15 years ago and found the content very good. Passes all ATPL's first time around and he was also very approachable and happy to help if I had any further questions.

Recommend.

Totally agree! Rob's sample tests are quite close to CASA's. Check his AV8/AV3/AV18 books.

Got my last exam passed two weeks ago, scored 86% on average across seven subjects, 88% on Flight Planning. Occasionally would send some questions to Rob via email and he always responded promptly!