PDA

View Full Version : UK RT Licence (examiner in germany)

moevydotnet
24th Jul 2009, 18:55
Hi @ all,
I applied for my cpl licence. My flightschool said that my rt licence from germany (in english and german) is good enough.

Now I got the package from the CAA back and they want the UK rt licence :(

Does anyone know an examiner in germany for the RT licence?

Thx ... Michael

BigGrecian
24th Jul 2009, 19:53
It clearly states in the standards document that you must hold or be eligible for a UK RT licence BEFORE taking the UK JAA CPL skills test. A commercial pilot really has no excuse for not knowing this.

A commercial pilot would have also searched the CAA website and found :
RT Examiners: List of Authorised Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence Examiners | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2860)
Again no excuse for not researching.

Your lucky they even recognised your test, and didn't make you re-do it.

Given the skills you've shown so far - I know which route I would have taken....:ugh:

stefair
24th Jul 2009, 20:07
Mr. BigGrecian,
Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated. It feels great to see people slagging other people off for not knowing something or having made a mistake...
It might be stated so, as you say, in the document, but it is my understanding that it is part of the FTO's job to make sure their student (after all a paying customer) meets all requirments for license issue. Clearly, here the school did not meet that responsibility and therefore did not do a good job.
I suggest if you have something useful to say, please do so, otherwise shut it! Thank you.
The guy is asking a serious question, which might cost him a few extra bucks and all you do is being a smart ass... :ugh:

Keygrip
24th Jul 2009, 23:48
I saw this post earlier but forgot to come back and respond to it, however - *I* would be asking why did the flight examiner actually conduct the test if the candidate did not meet the requirements.

The examiner most certainly should have known what it says in "the document" and should have checked for this.

moevydotnet - where did you do your CPL skill test - and with whom?

PM the answer if you wish.

selfin
25th Jul 2009, 01:03
It clearly states in the standards document that you must hold or be eligible for a UK RT licence BEFORE taking the UK JAA CPL skills test. A commercial pilot really has no excuse for not knowing this.

A commercial pilot would have also searched the CAA website and found :
RT Examiners: List of Authorised Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence Examiners | Publications | CAA
Again no excuse for not researching.

Your lucky they even recognised your test, and didn't make you re-do it.

Given the skills you've shown so far - I know which route I would have taken....
Formatting added.

A would be commercial pilot might be forgiven for interpreting the Standards slightly differently:

UK CAA Standards Document 3, Version 7 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_03_A.PDF):

2.1.8 Flight Radio Telephony Operator’s (FRTO) Licence
An applicant will be required to hold a FRTO licence or have passed the required examinations prior to attempting the CPL Skill Test.

I've searched the UK ANO 2005 (as amended) religiously and can find no rule requiring a candidate for a UK-examined JAR-FCL professional licence to be in possession of an appropriate UK-granted radiotelephone operator's permit / FRTOL. There is clearly no hint of this specific requirement in the Standards notes.

If you or any other commercial pilots are aware of legislation supporting the assertion I would be grateful to know of it.

Keygrip
25th Jul 2009, 02:43
We are back to the UK CAA oddity that the "authorititive document", at any given time, is the one that they want to quote to prove their point.

There are numerous, possibly hundreds, of documents within the CAA that contradict each other. This gives them the opportunity to select whichever document they wish to quote.

In this case it's the oft incorrect publication "LASORS", in which section B1.4 holds holds the following, quietly embedded within a larger paragraph.

Students who are seeking to obtain a

UK issued JAA professional pilots licence
or Instrument

rating will be required to provide evidence of either
holding a valid UK FRTOL or of having passed the UK
RTF practical test prior to attempting the CPL or IR Skill
Test. (A student attempting both the CPL and IR Skill Test
will be required to hold a valid UK FRTOL or passed the
UK RTF practical test prior to attempting their first test,

whichever comes first).

I've tried numerous times to get the quoted text all the same size - it's PPRuNe that's changing it when I click "Save changes".

moevydotnet
25th Jul 2009, 05:47
Thx for your answers....

I do the Uk RT Licence next week I think....

Hopefully I dont get problems If I do the RT Licence after the cpl skills test...

BigGrecian
25th Jul 2009, 15:57
my understanding that it is part of the FTO's job to make sure their student (after all a paying customer) meets all requirments for license issue.

Not true.

The information is in the document entitled "Guidance for Applicants"

It rests with the student and of course the examiner who tested said applicant.

Any FTO which takes the responsibility of this into their hands is failing their student by not making them take the responsibility for complying with regulations. The approach of having the "FTO" being responsible actually represents worse customer service because at Commercial level they should be instilling that the word "Commercial Pilot" means that said Pilot only is responsible for ensuring compliance.
If said student didn't check (overseen by FTO agreed) then they've been failed the student totally in instilling the legal responsibilities of a commercial pilot much earlier in their CPL training.
During Commercial training the emphasis should be Commercial pilot first, paying customer second. A good school will balance it this way, ensuring that the latter is not totally ignored. Any other attitude will eventually lead to an attitude of not taking responsibility, and possible a hazardous approach, as pilots shy away from their legal responsibilities due to poor primary training in this area (Primacy).