PDA

View Full Version : Old vs New

Squeegee Longtail
24th Jul 2009, 18:47
I am considering getting back into biplane flying. My choices are either an old type - Stampe, Jungmann etc, or new type - Christen Eagle, Pitts etc.
Now I know what your going to say "these are completely different types". BUT, my question is how much you are prepared to sacrifice (in u/s time and expense) to own an oldie these days. My ex-Stampe was great, but that was 20 years ago. Now she needs another rebuild, and spares are even rarer than before.
New types offer performance and reliability, availability of spares, and low hours etc. but not the nostalgia.

Decisions, decisions.

Votes please.

katana 1
24th Jul 2009, 20:52
Go with your heart not your wallet.:ok:

Rod1
24th Jul 2009, 20:55
Not an expert on biplanes but it would seem to be a choice between an old C of A machine or a newer permit machine. As you can use uncertified parts (even make your own), do all your own maintenance and just need an LAA inspector to look over it, the Permit would appear to be the way forward.

Rod1

flyingfemme
25th Jul 2009, 07:05
Depends if you like fettling as much as flying and have a suitable hangar to work in.......
A single seat Pitts on the PFA has to be the cheapest way to get high-octane biplane flying.

Justiciar
25th Jul 2009, 08:02
I believe that there are only two S2As on Permits; all other two seat Pitts are C of A = expensive! Eagles are on Permit but there are a limited number in the UK though I think there are two for sale at present between about £50 and £75k.

Jungmann seem to come up rarely; are not Stampes on the point of going over to Permit? If so it may pay to wait a while.

I can't see why you would choose C of A over Permit these days with the range available on Permit.

Bigglesthefrog
25th Jul 2009, 08:22
Squeegee... I too am hankering to get back to biplanes after enjoying the privilege of flying an old De Havilland for a few years. Like you, I know the cost of flying old aeroplanes which I have to say removed non of the fun I had. However, having come back to flying after doing a few other things for a while, I am enjoying the act of polishing up my rusty skills on one of Mr Pipers aircraft. This has triggered my longing to get more wings around me and whilst pondering this, I remembered going to a fly-in many years ago, arriving just before my friend who had a Stolp Starduster Too. Looking around his aircraft I was very impressed with the look of the machine and made a note of the fact that it was capable of basic aerobatics. I've never forgotten about the Starduster and today I am looking at the possibility of importing one from the US, putting it on the G-Register and flying it on a LAA PTF.
Go to (barnstormers.com) and bring up the search box. Type in "Starduster" and tell me what you think.:ok: