PDA

View Full Version : NZ Conversion?

duggie1979
23rd Jul 2009, 18:48
Hi ,i am still deciding where to head for to get my PPL. I was pretty certain i would head state side to one of the JAA schools in Florida. Lately though i have been considering NZ. Can anyone tell me if i can begin CPL JAA training (if i go down that route) off the back of a NZ license? Or is the conversion expensive and complicated?
Anyone with experience or advice i would greatly appreciate to hear it.:ok:

Abu Bebo
24th Jul 2009, 13:36
Article 21, of the Air Navigation Order 2000, states that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the UK CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (i.e. New Zealand) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, Article 21 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Article 21 (3) states that for aircraft registered in a country other than the United Kingdom, a person shall not act as a member of the flight crew unless:

(a) in the case of an aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work, he is the holder of an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered or the State of the operator; or

(b) in the case of any other aircraft, he is the holder of an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered or under this Order, and the CAA does not in the particular case give a direction to the contrary.

The holder of a current and valid PPL(A) issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown a minimum of 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, is credited the JAR-FCL PPL(A) flying training/experience requirements, except the PPL(A) Skill Test.
[ LASORS C1.2 JAR-FCL PPL(A) FLYING TRAINING/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Section C page 3]

The holder of a current and valid PPL(A) issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown a minimum of 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, will be required to pass written examinations in Air Law and Human Performance and Limitations. (If no valid aeroplane rating has been held in the 5 years preceding application, then all JAR theoretical knowledge exams would need to be passed.) An applicant who also wishes to obtain a FRTOL will be required to pass the JAR-FCL PPL Communications (PPL) theoretical knowledge examination and practical communications test unless they qualify for credit as detailed in Section B1.4
[ LASORS C1.3 JAR-FCL PPL(A)THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS Section C page 4]

This section states:
Holders of a valid Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence issued by any ICAO contracting State, in accordance with Article 44of the ITU Radio Regulations, which has been issued on the basis of comparable tests and examinations to those required in the UK, will be credited with the practical Communications test and theoretical written examination, provided that the licence is valid and the tests were conducted using the English language.

Also, the holder of a current and valid PPL(A) issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown less than 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, but meets the JAR-FCL PPL (A) flying experience requirements is credited the flying training except the PPL (A) Skill Test
[LASORS C1.2 JAR-FCL PPL(A) FLYING TRAINING/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Section C page 4]

However, the holder of a current and valid PPL (A) issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown less than 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, will be required to pass all JAR theoretical knowledge examinations.
[LASORS C1.3 JAR-FCL PPL(A)THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS Section C page 4]

In conclusion therefore, it is my opinion that the best course of action for new pilots would be to obtain the New Zealand PPL and continue to fly in the UK or abroad, obtaining validation in any country as required until achieving 100 hours as pilot-in-command, at which time, upon completion of the required Air Law and Human Performance and Limitations examinations and Flight Test, a JAA licence can be issued; or, for the potential career pilot, to continue flying training towards the JAA CPL as this would supersede the requirements for the JAA PPL.

This information, with corresponding references, is sourced from an article I wrote in 2004, but I think that not much has changed since.

duggie1979
26th Jul 2009, 10:28
Abu Bebo, many thanks for the response. My decision is made. I am heading for the summer in the southern hemisphere! , and i hope to return with PPL and 100 hours or more. By then i should have decided if i want to continue and go for CPL.:ok: