inducedrag
23rd Jul 2009, 15:17
What bis the best way to land ATR in Xwinds with Yaw damper OFF or ON

desk_bound
23rd Jul 2009, 15:59
I normally land with it off

emirmorocan
23rd Jul 2009, 16:12
Normallly de-crab technique with Y/D on and sideslip with Y/D off.

airman13
23rd Jul 2009, 20:13
definitly with yd off,otherwise when flaring,at 20 feet, yd is off due to rudder pedal input and this is not a comfortable way for landing......I put it off at 400 feet above field.

emirmorocan
24th Jul 2009, 09:15
It was case of discussion in our airline. I got an answer from ATR:

[B]Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:04:05 +0200
Subject: Internet website : yaw damper disconnection
To: [email protected]

Dear Sir,

The disconnection of the yaw damper for landing is not requested by any ATR procedure except in case of landing with one propeller feathered as stated in FCOM 2.02.12 p.2 (copy of this page is attached to this email).

Anyway, yaw damper can be disconnected in very short final (around 100 feet above ground) in case of landing with crosswind to ensure a smooth “crab” landing.

I trust this information will prove helpful.

Best regards.

Véronique Elaphos

Flight Operations support

powdermonkey
24th Jul 2009, 09:44
My co. procedure is to land with it on, however, invariably it gets kicked out when starightening the nose just before touchdown and as stated previously it is uncomfortable for the pax....personal prefference is to disconect YD earlier on approach, makes for a smoother last few 100feet.

PENKO
24th Jul 2009, 13:16
Just being curious, with the YD on in a crosswind, what wil the passengers experience that is so uncomfortable in the last 100 feet?

powdermonkey
24th Jul 2009, 15:59
PENKO
It's not that it is uncomfortable to land with YD engaged, it's just that when straightening the nose after a crab approach, it's easy to disengage the YD when using the rudders, the disengagement causes a strong enough lateral movement which is easily corrected by the pilot, however it is sensed in the cabin and more so the further back pax are seated...so a little uncomfortable, whereas if you disengage earlier, whilst crabbing in, a smoother correction of the nose just before touchdown is possible.

AK747
28th Jul 2009, 23:57
desk bound,
hows life in Antilles?
I've send you a pm
I've lost your contact details!
please pm me

cheers
AK (STN orange)

Capt. Greaseon
29th Jul 2009, 11:40
Is the rudder on the ATR hydraulic?
(I fly the dash just curious)

CarbHeatIn
30th Jul 2009, 11:13
No. The aileron, elevators and rudder are mechanically actuated.

Capt Pit Bull
30th Jul 2009, 13:53
and in the flare, the ailerons show very little sign of even being connected...

Sir George Cayley
1st Aug 2009, 20:43
Didn't the AAIB make comment about ATR aileron handling in the Brissol report?

Sir George Cayley