PDA

View Full Version : Warranties

frostbite
23rd Jul 2009, 14:29
Posted in the spirit of expanding the remit of the forum like wot was suggested.

I've recently purchased a bit of electronic kit and with it is enclosed a warranty card to be 'posted within ten days of purchase' to register the two year warranty.

Do I need to do this? Recall reading that this is now a statutary period anyway, or have I misunderstood?

HuntandFish
23rd Jul 2009, 14:44
I think that nany of these requests to register are just attempts to get marketing info . BUT some do give better than mininmum warranties if you register
Your 2year deal may be one

Skyfan
23rd Jul 2009, 14:55
Would agree with that. We've just bought a new tumble dryer and as a result of registering online we get 'priority repairs'. It also means you don't have to answer a stream of daft questions such as model number, serial etc when you are ready to take a hammer to the damn thing, as they should already have the info to hand. :)

dazdaz
24th Jul 2009, 15:12
Under EU law all goods bought in any EU state carry a two year guarantee. As Tesco found out a few months ago when a customer returned a faulty tv fourteen months old.

He quoted the EU legislation (I have the link somewhere) and after some checking at head office, they found out it's true and gave him a new tv.:D

frostbite
24th Jul 2009, 16:45
Thanks for that.

That must be the legislation I dimly remembered, so it looks like the registration card is redundant.

dazdaz
24th Jul 2009, 17:49
Sorry I can't post a live link (to lazy) this is the EU Directive (Log on to site)...........
1919/44/ec and do a search.

Any company offering a years extension (after twelve months) guarantee for ££/Euro) are being very naughty.

Daz

Mike-Bracknell
27th Jul 2009, 00:46
Would agree with that. We've just bought a new tumble dryer and as a result of registering online we get 'priority repairs'. It also means you don't have to answer a stream of daft questions such as model number, serial etc when you are ready to take a hammer to the damn thing, as they should already have the info to hand.

If it's a Bosch, Miele, AEG or Electrolux (I think i've covered the various co-brands there), be prepared to receive regular "sign up for extended warranty" letters from their automated idiocy department. :ugh:

Ancient Observer
27th Jul 2009, 11:08
European Commission - Your Europe - Citizens - Buying goods and services (http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/services/eu-guide/buying/index_en.html)

GUARANTEES ON CONSUMER GOODS
When you purchase something, the seller must deliver goods which are in conformity with the contract of sale. In case of lack of conformity, your first option is to ask for the good to be repaired or replaced free of charge. If repair and replacement are impossible or disproportionate, or the seller does not perform his obligation within a reasonable time and avoiding significant inconvenience, you may ask for a suitable reduction in price or for the rescission of the contract.
The seller is held responsible for the lack of conformity when this becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods.
Professionals offering additional guarantees (e.g. manufacturers) are bound under the conditions laid down in the guarantee statement and the associated advertising. They must make clear that additional guarantees do not affect other legal rights conferred upon consumers by national legislation.

Superpilot
27th Jul 2009, 11:22
This is an EU directive and not a law. Yes, there's a difference: Directive (European Union) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_(European_Union))).

A directive is not intended to apply directly in member states. The idea is that member states pass national laws to put it into effect. This "Law" has not been implemented in the UK.

I suspect Tesco gave in just to avoid the hassle (time and costs) of going to court as most large retailers would.

John Marsh
27th Jul 2009, 21:01
Don't forget the Sale of Goods Act: Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html)

A ruse favoured by some UK household goods retailers is to mislead the customer with their 28 day return & replace arrangement. Under the Act, goods must be 'fit for purpose'. This includes a reasonable lifetime, gauged from the item type and purchase price, up to a maximum of 6 years.

14 months is a bit short, even for a cheapy TV. I hope Tesco knew that too!