PDA

View Full Version : CPL theory training

propelled
23rd Jul 2009, 06:44
Hi Guys, am after help in passing my CPL performance exam (CFPA)..

I failed my 1st attempt, and the KDR's show that I need serious help with weight & balance calculations! :ugh:

Does anyone know anyone who teaches theory of an evening somewhere in Syd? am based in western syd, but can travel..

I feel I need to spend a few hours being coached on how to attack these questions for my next attempt! am hoping to get this sorted in the next couple of weeks..

If anyone knows of someone providing this service, pls shout!

Cheers

MCKES
23rd Jul 2009, 07:01
What books are you using? Do you know the weight and balance formulas for echo loading?

Diversion90
23rd Jul 2009, 07:11
Highly recommend Bob Tait I sat my first CPL exam today general knowledge and passed using just Bob Taits book.

tmpffisch
23rd Jul 2009, 07:28
Bob Tait's book works well, I used it for CFPA.

If all else fails, ask your instructor for a few hours time, they may point you in the right track, fix any shortcomings you're having in your echo calculations, and would cost you less than doing a course.

Check out Downwind.com.au, (http://www.downwind.com.au/index.php?view=article&id=97&option=com_content&format=pdf) for my CFPA Notes. Just do a search for CFPA and it should come up. (I tried linking but it came up with the login page every time... Login (http://www.downwind.com.au/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=must-know-formulas-for-the-cpl-cfpa-theory-exam.html&Itemid=126))

propelled
23rd Jul 2009, 08:27
thanks for the response guys...
yep, am using the bob tait books.. have memorised the different formula...just cant seem to apply them properly for each different question..
will keep plugging away at them, and will also ask an instructor at my club for some guidance..

congrats @ diversion90 on your pass today!!

cheers

john_tullamarine
23rd Jul 2009, 09:42
Why don't you put a couple of the questions with which you are having trouble in this thread and we can give you some "free" tuition .. or, at least, explain what you should be trying to do ?

It can go on from there as folk need. If you are having trouble with some of the specifics then others, likewise, will be in the same boat ... Not suggesting that you should subvert the established teaching systems .. but a few back and forth Qs & As might just help you understand what it is that your instructors have been trying to get across to you.

So far as formulae are concerned (and it's many years since I taught this stuff for the pilot exams so things may have changed a tad) you ought only really need the shifting loads/ballasting formulae ..and then only because it saves you a lot of time in the exam.

(Note - you'll need to advise where we can download the relevant manual on which the present exam is based).

Diversion90
23rd Jul 2009, 13:11
Cheers Propelled Aerodynamics next for me.

I Haven't done Performance yet but might still be able to give you a hand as I've previously studied the loading systems. (Echo is the one that was a pain when I studied it before)

RWD5
24th Jul 2009, 04:00
not sure if this will help, memorising formulae which cover most of the weight& balance questions before sitting the test: (cant remember if these are right, check them first dont take my word for it!)

* forward limit of echo= (present wt-1360kg or whatever it is for the echo)x0.27 +2400mm

* time to PNR = (safe endurance x GS home) / 2xTAS

* distance to ETP = (total distance x GS home) / 2xTAS

* weight to move = (current weight x mm required to move) / arm from - arm to

*weight to add/subtract (rear limit) = (current weight x mm required to move) / rear CofG - arm to

*weight to add/subtract (forward limit) = use graph

these are all in the BobTait study books