PDA

View Full Version : thinking of JAA license

capt_akun
23rd Jul 2009, 02:37
Hello,

I am currently undecisive on whether I want to take on the path to convert my Australian license to the UK license. At the moment, I have my CPL with ATPL theory completed, and hoping to have enough hours to unrestrict my ATPL in the next two years.

I am looking at self studying the ATPL theory as I have the JAA Jepesen bookset. Do you think that's a good idea? I had a quick look through, and the materials are very similar to the Australian's. So I believe it'll just be a revision of what I should know.

It is a massive hassle to do the conversion, and for those who have done it, was it worth it?

What's the job market like in Europe (before the GFC)? and what's the chances like when recovery occurs?

Many thanks in advance,
aku

Brian304
23rd Jul 2009, 06:07
Well first thing, you cannot do the ATPL theory on your own, the caa form needs to be signed off by a well known flight school before the caa will let you in for the exams. So basically you'll have to do a "distance learning course" and do 2 weeks ground school or the amount of ground school hours the caa regulates. You can do this in schools such as BGS or GFS in bournemouth.

Well everyone has different opinions if you should do this conversion, but I would say no, as firstly in the uk to work your going to need to have a work permit or somthing that will allow you to work in the uk. Secondly theres pilots in the uk or europe with alot of experience and no jobs currently, even after this reccession those pilots will probably be going back into the pool first... so basically my answer is "no"...

Pilotpeter
24th Jul 2009, 03:00
Hello capt_akun,

A good source for some up to dat information would be Wayne Crosby from WAAC. He is chief ground school and deals with jaa-stuff daily. I just finished my self study jaa ATPL's ( 14 subjects) in 5 months ( I couldn't do it faster cause i had to do the groundschool). It has cost me about 8k all up (exam fees, books, accomodation, airfares,...)
There is recognition of prior learning, so you won't have to do the groundschool.
But it is still a big effort, and is rather expensive. You might have to check the LASORS, in which they explain what experience you need to convert your liscence without redoing any of the theorie I think there is an air law exam anyway).
I would give |Wayne a call, he does seem to be very well informed.
Send me a message if you would like his phone number. Or check out WA Aviation College (http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/)

Greets and good luck,
Peter