PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Blackhawk in the Afghan

VfrpilotPB/2
22nd Jul 2009, 15:49
Our esteemed General Sir Richard Dannatt was thankfully flown around the various places he needed to be courtesy of our American Brothers in Arms, whilst the big bird was landing just to rear of the front engine air intake there seemed to be a springloaded flap that was flipping (not like an English MP) open and closed it seemed to be about 6" x 6", would this be taking in additional air or dumping it, for when under full power I cannot recall seeing this flap opening, can anyone explain this?

my regards

Peter R-B
Vfr

Dan Reno
22nd Jul 2009, 17:43
Bet the Military Aircrew folks next door would know.

zhishengji751
22nd Jul 2009, 20:01
My guess is that it is taking in additional air.

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/pat_hensley/blackhawk/blackhawk_21_of_50.JPG

The shroud on the inlet has a springloaded flap that can swing inwards. Not sure why it is only present on the bottom though as there are 2 ducts under the shroud.

S-67
23rd Jul 2009, 00:44
This would be for fire fighting on start up or shut down.

TwinHueyMan
23rd Jul 2009, 05:21
That panel the door is on is part of the Hover Infra-Red Supression System (HIRSS) kit. It is a shroud that covers up two engine bay air intakes on the engine inlet that were put on to keep the engine bay ventilated and cool, but provided a clear visible shot to the hot engine for an IR guided missile to seek on. At a hover, the flap opens (and closes) to allow the vents to do their purpose (a bit), and during forward flight it springs closed and provides the absolute minimum direct view of the hot engine.

It's also a handy way to check the engine oil!

Mike

VfrpilotPB/2
23rd Jul 2009, 07:07
Thank you THM:ok:

Peter R-B
Vfr

Blackhawk9
23rd Jul 2009, 09:14
The flap also gives access to the engine wash fitting to hook up the wash rig.

TwinHueyMan
24th Jul 2009, 01:57
I also used to shove my lunch in there... was always nice and warm when we shut down for chow.