PDA

View Full Version : YouTube ending support for IE6...

BEagle
21st Jul 2009, 15:31
It seems that YoofTube will soon be ending support for IE6. As they don't have a 'contact us' e-mail address, it's unlikely that they will be able to gauge opinion of this idea until it actually happens.

Sure, the geeks will play about with new browsers. But I suspect that most people will be of the 'If it ain't broke' school of thought - and YoofTube will be the ones to suffer.

After disastrous results with IE7, I'm not keen to rush into IE8. And before anyone suggests it, I'm not going to bother with Godzilla (or whatever it's called) or that Google browser.

Saab Dastard
21st Jul 2009, 16:09
I'm not going to bother with Godzilla I assume you mean Firefox.

Nose. Face. Spite.

SD

Shunter
21st Jul 2009, 16:51
It it ain't broke? But it is... IE6 is the swiss cheese of browser security. IE7 is a dog, granted. IE8 is better, but it's still a horrible lardy whale of a browser.

Firefox is the way forward. We actually banned IE company-wide at my last place of work.

Jofm5
21st Jul 2009, 17:41
Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera and a whole bunch more.....

Does it really matter at the end of the day ?

Some are quicker, some are slower, some are prettier - but do they all render the web page correctly ? the answer is pretty much so.

Why apple keeps trying to give me bits of software such as safari when I dont want or need them is just plain annoying.

Likewise if your happy with your browser then keep your browser - it will work for the foreseeable future as there is no radical change to the DOM forthcoming - The fact that youtube say they wont support IE6 does not mean their site wont work if you use that - they just wont have tested it so it may be quirky in places.

There are plenty of reasons FOR using a different browser but if you have not stumbled across a reason then dont feel you need to - I also use firefox when developing because firebug is an invaluable time saver but I use IE 7 most of the time because I havent bothered upgrading it (7 does all I need at the moment).

If your like me you will stick with what your used to and change when you need to.

My rule of thumb is dont change technology for technologies sake - do it when you have a reason.

Guest 112233
21st Jul 2009, 21:16
Does this mean the "Grand Finito re You tube" for Windows 2000/etc users out there. A small percentage of a huge number is still a very big number.

We can argue this one untill the cows come home, but I bet that there are a lot of people running Win2K on older kit out there in cyberspace.

CAT III

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Jul 2009, 21:24
I'm not keen to rush into IE8
I wish fewer of my users were keen to rush into IE8 :(

There seems to be some issue with Google Maps and IE8, so a handful of users are having problems, and as the numbers increase I'm going to have to do some work to fix it one of these weeks, unless of course Google fix it first :(:(:(

Win2K on older kit
Several in this house. One of which boxes having been upgraded from NT.

Saab Dastard
21st Jul 2009, 21:30
Does this mean the "Grand Finito re You tube" for Windows 2000/etc users out there

FF3 works fine on Win2K.

FF3 works fine with YT.

So no.

SD

Skyfan
21st Jul 2009, 22:07
Quite a few web publications have been pushing for IE6 to get the boot for some time. Bottom line seems to be that standards compliance is the way forward, like it or not. From a designers POV I suspect it makes a whole lot of sense but it's a fairly heavy handed way of going about it.