PDA

View Full Version : The sweet smell of jet fuel first thing in the morning...

spaceboynz
21st Jul 2009, 15:22
I`m fairly certain I already know the answer to this question, so I`m doing this to reassure myself:

On short-haul flights I often notice the smell of jet fuel while I`m boarding. The smell seems strongest on the first flight`s of the day (maybe because they`re pumping more fuel, or because it`s cold outside?). Usually they`re boarding from both exists so both doors are open, and of course they use the stairs, not the air bridge - so there`s plenty of chance for the smell to drift in.

So I`m guessing this smell is just the vapour from refuelling and is completely harmless (in as much as sniffing kerosene is completely harmless)?

Cheers

Doobry Firkin
21st Jul 2009, 15:31
If the aircraft has recently been refuelled all that you are smelling is the vapour from the vent lines. As the fuel fills the tanks the air/vapour mix inside is vented overboard through the vent lines.

boredcounter
21st Jul 2009, 20:05
Smells a whole lot better burnt :-( cant smell it on the ground, bloody Chapter 3

TurningFinals
21st Jul 2009, 21:19
Engines that have been sat over night tend to have a bit of extra un-burned fuel sat in them on start up, as the engine starts this is burned.

It is called a wet start and is what causes the puffs of smoke on start up. It is completely normal and i wish you could bottle that smell!!

NudgingSteel
23rd Jul 2009, 22:38
Are you sure it's raw fuel you can smell, and not exhaust fumes? If the APU of your aircraft is running as you board (or any other aircraft on the apron), there will be plenty of burnt kerosene floating around. The human nose is remarkably sensitive to even tiny concentrations of volatile organic compounds, and the concentration you're breathing should be well below any level likely to cause any problems, expecially for the short time you're boarding.
I second the comment about bottling the smell, fabulous!!

OFSO
26th Jul 2009, 13:57
Risking being told to get back to JB, may I lever this thread back to what the title suggests, and agree....... I had an Americano and imbibed the sweet smell of jet fuel this morning at the DZ in Empuriabrava, watching the Pilatus Porter and De Hav carrying the skydivers up and away. A lovely perfume......lovely sounds, too.