PDA

View Full Version : Standing room only......

LFFC
21st Jul 2009, 12:08
Ryanair reduces Stansted flights (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160923.stm)

Ryanair also confirmed it had been in talks with European safety regulators about proposals to allow passengers to stand on its flights.

Dear Mr O'Leary,

Please don't give the military any more cunning plans!

GPMG
21st Jul 2009, 12:17
Having endured a flight with Ryan Air, I can promise you that even a trip back from Gander in a Herc is preferable.
Hell, I'd even volunteer for a seat up front in a Vimy, rather than use '$h!t with wings again'.

racedo
21st Jul 2009, 13:15
There are enough posts regarding Ryanair on SLF forum without needing to add any on here.

BEagle
21st Jul 2009, 15:38
Not so! The more people learn about how truly dreadful the Ryanair experience is, the better.

See Ryanair Customer Reviews and Ryanair Passenger Opinions about Ryanair Product and Ryanair service standards (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm) and you'll get some idea....

Pontius Navigator
21st Jul 2009, 16:57
Actually we quite liked RyanAir. All we did not like was the scrum to board the aircraft even with priority boarding.

airborne_artist
21st Jul 2009, 17:03
I didn't mind standing up when flying. It was the walking through an open door at 800' AGL that I disliked, particularly as it was normally dark at the time :}

ShyTorque
21st Jul 2009, 17:19
As professional aircrew myself, I will not stand for rude staff or being ripped off by "gotcha" extra charges.

I am a no-way, Ryanair passenger; they seem to be aiming to gain a monopoly on both counts.

anita gofradump
21st Jul 2009, 19:44
You're giving them ideas AA.........

.....I can see the headline now........

"Ryanair avoids landing fees with the introduction of a Stansted DZ"

Tankertrashnav
21st Jul 2009, 22:08
I quite enjoyed my one and only Ryanair flight from St Mawgan (now Newquay) to Stansted. What disappointed me was my onward flight to Paderborn with Air Berlin. The hoped for Ju 52 turned out to be a boring old 737 :*

BEagle
22nd Jul 2009, 07:22
If you want to fly in 'Tante Ju', you can book a flight with the Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung:
Alle Rund- und Streckenflüge der Ju 52 für 2009 | Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung (http://www.lufthansa-ju52.de/de/Ju-52-Rund-und-Streckenfluege/Ju-52-Flugplan.php) . I see that it's flying from Paderborn this coming Tuesday!

Hopefully, flights will one day be available in their Super Constellation, currently under restoration...:ok:

Amazingly, they also have a Focke-Wulf Condor under long term restoration - a year or so ago I peeked through the windows of the Bremen workshop to see various bits being lovingly restored. This aircraft will not fly again - perhaps if they did restore it to airworthy status, it could be in ASW service long before the Nimrod '2000'??

Tankertrashnav
22nd Jul 2009, 16:03
Thanks Beagle, pity my son has been posted away from Paderborn, cant use that as an excuse to the wife to pop over. 179 euros for 30 minutes - not a lot more than Ive been paying in a C172, but I somehow don't think they'd let me touch the controls! Love to see the Connie again, last one I saw was Ace airways operating out of Lyneham - anyone remember them?

BEagle
22nd Jul 2009, 18:01
I was lucky enough to be able to have a good look around both the Ju52/3m and the Me108 at Hamburg Fuhlsbüttel a couple of years ago on separate occasions when they were parked at the Lufthansa Technik site. Tante Ju has a few modern tweaks to meet present day Public Transport certification requirements, but is otherwise pretty original.

And really very small! Saw D-AQUI landing at FRA once and it seemed minute when compared to present day people tubes!

A shame that ba has no similar interest in its heritage....

Off to see the new Dornier museum Home// Dornier Museum Friedrichshafen - Where Great Pioneers Meet (http://www.dorniermuseum.de/en/startseite.html) at Friedrichshafen soon - sadly no Do17 or Do335 there yet.....

alwayslookingup
23rd Jul 2009, 21:31
Well peeps, trite I know, but you get what you pay for.

Two weeks ago I flew Aberdeen to Dublin for a p*** up (sorry, family wedding dance) on a Sunday evening. Flew out 15.15 on the Sunday, returned 09.15 Monday, just over two hours door to door on each flight and only needed a half day off work. Flights booked six weeks ago, no priority boarding, hand luggage only and my own insurance, £22 return. I did relent on the flight over and purchased a can of beer, for which they stiffed me 4 euro. However, no complaints here with Mr O'Leary's operation. If it was still down to BA or Air lingus I'd be paying five times the price, minimum. I'll take Ryanair any day (and regularly do).

Speaking of which, I'm going ABZ to Dubai with Etihad in October, £378 all in, get them while you can.

Aerouk
24th Jul 2009, 01:20
I fly with Ryanair about 12 times a year, love them. Cheap as chips, enjoy my £1 flights to Dublin... recently booked return flight to Paris for £12 so I'm not complaining.