PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP to JAA ATPL equivelency

TikiBar
21st Jul 2009, 08:50
Hello Everyone.

I am a type rated A320 Captain interested in obtaining a JAA ATPL Equivelency. I have over 7000TT and over 1000 PIC on the A320. One of my FO's said that there is a test he is going to take that will give him an JAA ATPL. Not the entire conversion just the right to fly where a JAA ATPL is required.
He has left the airline I am with and I cannot get in touch with him to ask more questions.
Does anyone know of such a thing? any suggestions on how I could accomplish this?
Any help would be appreciated.:ok:

B200Drvr
21st Jul 2009, 18:19
As far as I know, and I stand under correction, if you have >1000 hrs PIC on an aircraft in excess of 50 000 lbs, you can have your logbook assessed by the CAA and they will give you the low down on what you have to do to get a JAA ATPL.
Again, I stand under correction, but I believe that if you do not meet these criteria, you will have to do all 14 subjects, flight training and the required flight tests.
Remember, a JAA/JAR does not give you the legal right to live and work in Europe.

Elias
21st Jul 2009, 18:38
You need to look at point G 1.5 Note 2, of this document; those are the minimums that would exempt you from undertaking the 14 ATPL written exams.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20G%20-%20AIRLINE%20TRANSPORT%20PILOT%20LICENCE.pdf

Take care.

BigGrecian
22nd Jul 2009, 14:02
If you use exemptions it makes your licence only valid on G registered aircraft only (I.e) a United Kingdom registered aircraft.

TikiBar
16th Aug 2009, 05:48
I would like to thank everyone who resonded for the input. It is much appreciated.

jet.man123
16th Aug 2009, 10:33
As stated in Lasors you will need 1500hrs PI on JAR types and they will also want to see your training records for the type rating to make sure it complies. You may also find this limited conversion is only valid for the type you have and if you want to put another type on they may not allow you. The problem is that these are all guidelines and each case is assessed on its merits.

TikiBar
23rd Aug 2009, 02:28
Jet.Man,
Thanks for the information. Do you mean 1500 PIC on type? My original post has a typo in it. I have over 7000TT. I will have over 1500 on type by the end of the year.
I have all my training records and earned the type rating at the Airbus Factory training facility in Miami so I would expect that it would be acceptable. I have my flight time (Logbooks) certified by my company so there should be no question there.
It's ok with me that the exemption applies only to the A320 class. Who and how do I go about initiating this process. Do I need to contact the CAA, in which country? England?
Sorry for being so thick, but all this EU qualification stuff is very new to me.

Tinstaafl
23rd Aug 2009, 03:41
TikiBar, the way JAA work(..ed. It's being replaced by EASA**) is to set requirements that member States must then implement within each State's own regulations. JAA isn't a regulatory authority in the same way that the FAA is.

This 'implement within own rules' thing has allowed different member States to interpret the JARs differently or . One of those differences is that the UK's Civil Aviation Authority allows the 1500 hours on heavy jets shortcut - something that other States don't recognise - so they're the one's to go through.

Contact the UK CAA to start the process.

**Unlike JAA, EASA will be the regulatory authority and will set the rules for the States to adhere to.