PDA

View Full Version : ga wives

fwjc
20th Jul 2009, 23:30
I have a question about how many aviation widows there are? how many people have to choose between one and the other?

That said, how many genuine flying couples are there out there?

tmmorris
21st Jul 2009, 15:37
My wife doesn't hate flying but it does nothing for her. I take my 5 year old son and we have boys' days out flying - unless he's at school in which case I go on my own. She will come for a reason - e.g. visiting someone - but she brings a book to read or goes to sleep in the back :-)

Tim

Lister Noble
21st Jul 2009, 15:56
My wife has flown with me and with pals and likes it,but her hobbies are golf and playing bridge.
We both really enjoy gardening, so we can do something together.
She fully supports my love of flying,as she did when I was racing cars,and I am glad that she has her own time with her pursuits.

Relationships are about give and take,just be sure you don't take too much:)
Lister

Dan Winterland
21st Jul 2009, 16:30
"It's either flying or me!"

"Clear Prop".

luckybrazi
21st Jul 2009, 16:39
My ex-wife said that Dan.:hmm:

Mad Girl
21st Jul 2009, 18:09
I love the way you guys think there has to be a "GA wife"... It's not just restricted to that gender.

My old man bought me a trial lesson... and then lost me every weekend to the airfield... self inflicted - he shouldn't have bought me the lesson. He didn't like being on his own suddenly, so decided to join in.

I've got my PPL(A) and he's got his NPPL(M) - If you can't beat 'em.....join 'em. :D

shortstripper
21st Jul 2009, 19:18
My Mrs has been up with me a couple of times, but isn't a keen flyer. I don't think she opened her eyes on the first flight, and I still have finger nail scars in my thigh! Second time, so looked out at the lovely snowscape below, but didn't like turning ... not that easy to plan a circuit without turning though! :rolleyes: :E

SS

PS ... She rides horses, but I get virtigo if I get on one as they seem so high up!

MartinCh
21st Jul 2009, 19:37
SS,

That'd be vertigo from 'ground structures', not enjoying horse. It's very strange, flying around anywhere between 500' and 3000' AGL or more and feeling queasy on something 'tall' on the ground. Or with plenty height should one fall.

Although it's boring in a way, planning on having wifey after finishing training and when being at least bit settled (in aviation job) and having some free time for her. Rather than having FT job and then spending free time at the airfield or far away flying XC. That's bad.

So I'd say (besides flying LH airline legs) that being pro saves bit of time for family.
Still to test my theory myself later on.

mossie1960
21st Jul 2009, 21:01
Wife asked....

"how much extra are you putting in to the pension ?"

"£xxx a month"

" well stop and go and learn to fly instead - you've always wanted to - best do it now"

"ok..bye"

Got PPL, have share in RV-4, fly often, love wife ! Smaller pension expected.

mary meagher
21st Jul 2009, 21:51
Well, my first husband was afraid of flying, so I got another one.

jxc
21st Jul 2009, 22:56
I'm Sure there are alot of single guys at these flying clubs

ChampChump
21st Jul 2009, 23:27
Stop looking, concentrate on the good looking things with the wings and it all takes care of itself....

Well it did for me. We met as aircraft owners, with sufficiently different flying backgrounds to make conversation interesting, but with no need to impress.

Airfields are theoretically good hunting grounds, I suppose, if the obsession (sorry, dedication) can be absorbed into the relationship. Similar obsessions -or totally separate passions of equal weight - seem to work.

gingernut
21st Jul 2009, 23:40
Took Mrs Ginge up from Barton many moons ago.....got as far as Bolton and had to turn back.

Mark (bacon buttie man) had to open the bar early to settle her nerves.

alphaLaura
22nd Jul 2009, 10:37
My boyfriend and I met because of flying. We were both student pilots at the time, and now we are both PPLs :) We've been together just over 3 years and have spent many hours flying together.

I doubt that a non-flying boyfriend would put up with me for very long.

Wessex Boy
22nd Jul 2009, 11:06
But I don't know anyone where the woman flies and the husband doesn't.

There is a well-known Female Chippy flier whose husband is happy to enthuse rather than Pilot

mary meagher
22nd Jul 2009, 13:23
fwjc -

Actually, I put an advert in the Times. Something along the lines of
"Good cook, PPL, enjoys bridge, boating, music. Lives near Oxford"

Nobody noticed or recognised the significant trigraph; the dear man I ended up sharing my life with disclosed his interest in flying during many subsequent phone calls. All he twigged was "lives near Oxford!"

But 3 days after meeting, I was teaching him to fly - we never looked back.

IO540
22nd Jul 2009, 14:09
I think a bloke who mentioned "PPL" on the modern version of the above (internet dating) would get very few offers, because most women regard private flying as a very anoracky pursuit :)

I didn't start learning until after I got divorced and had the consent order signed ;) and my girlfriend likes flying but only to go to interesting places; not for the sake of it. She also doesn't like IMC, or turbulence, so I have to work hard in my weather / flight planning :) She's happy to be at FL180 on oxygen though, so that's what we do on long trips, which are invariably VMC on top in sunshine.

Whirlygig
22nd Jul 2009, 14:18
I think a bloke who mentioned "PPL" on the modern version of the above (internet dating) would get very few offers,...and the women who do so probably get even fewer offers. :}

WANTED
Single gentleman; own hair, teeth, helicopter. Send picture of helicopter
doesn't seem to get me very far.

Cheers

Whirls

IO540
22nd Jul 2009, 14:26
and the women who do so probably get even fewer offers

I found most of the women were getting so many offers that most of them didn't have time to read them. And this was some years ago, when that business was a lot less mainstream than it is today.

I think a woman who flies would get loads of offers - though perhaps not from the sort she is looking for :)

But then many men don't like independently minded women.......

WANTED
Single gentleman; own hair, teeth, helicopter. Send picture of helicopter doesn't seem to get me very far.

Well it wouldn't, would it. Helicopters are very expensive, and most men with 2p are quite protective of their 2p, having lost the previous 1.9p to their ex wife :)

Whirlygig
22nd Jul 2009, 14:57
But then many men don't like independently minded women.......Ain't that the truth :} and if the woman has a sense of humour as well ... :p

Cheers

Whirls

IO540
22nd Jul 2009, 15:36
One solution for an assertive career woman is a slightly dim (but of course physically attractive) toyboy - have you tried that?

You live only once :)

Johnm
22nd Jul 2009, 17:30
Originally Posted by fwjc
But I don't know anyone where the woman flies and the husband doesn't.

There is a well-known Female Chippy flier whose husband is happy to enthuse rather than Pilot

I know of at least two off the top of my head.

matspart3
22nd Jul 2009, 23:01
I expected to see dodgy pictures on this thread...:)

IFMU
23rd Jul 2009, 01:48
My wife would fly with me, but that was before we were married. I think that part is all done now. Too bad, I would be happy to do the x-c to interesting places bit as a compromise, rather than all gliders & towing. It is likely that after I finish my instrument rating that I may never use it in earnest, but will go back to my glider.

-- IFMU

BeechNut
23rd Jul 2009, 02:23
Which brings me back to the second option. So how does one find husband Mk II who is into flying?

Well my wife Mk I is not into flying and b!tches and moans continually about it (mostly about the cost) to the point where I'm seriously thinking a Mk II wife that's into flying might be the ticket.

I have a nice aerobatic Beech Sundowner if you're interested; I'm looking for a hangar for it. If you're interested in being Mk II wife, please send a picture of the hangar...

In all seriousness, she sort of tolerates it, I think because I once broke off with a girlfriend who tried to "forbid" me to fly, within 24 hours...

Beech

140KIAS
23rd Jul 2009, 07:11
I'm seriously thinking a Mk II wife that's into flying might be the ticket

My wife hates flying. Managed to get my hands on Mk II a couple of years ago :ok:

http://web.bethere.co.uk/andy.reid/Photos/barra-3.jpg

Whirlybird
23rd Jul 2009, 07:38
Men think independently minded women who fly helicopters are absolutely fascinating....but only for short periods and if they think they might get a free helicopter flight out of it. Otherwise...well, how many of you would tolerate a partner who might appear to the world as more interesting than you? However little it mattered to her? :{

jonkil
23rd Jul 2009, 10:51
Well my wife Mk I is not into flying and b!tches and moans continually about it (mostly about the cost) to the point where I'm seriously thinking a Mk II wife that's into flying might be the ticket.

What sort of masochist are you, you have MK1 and thinking about MK2?
Ditch #1, when in need you can always get into a "non equity agreement" (non flying sentiment) that satisfies most needs, absolutely ideal as no maintenance costs, good availability and you generally get a good choice of craft in the right place ! :E... and you can always get a faster craft that enjoys spirited inputs that can make your world go inverted...... aaah, bliss :ok:

MartinCh
23rd Jul 2009, 13:04
Is there an UK equivalent of this website? It could help some flyers with ladies connected to aviation :cool:
FBO Hotties (USA) (http://www.fbohotties.com/)

Blue Albatross
23rd Jul 2009, 13:35
My wife loves to fly with me if it means we're going somewhere nice. Having said that, she gets bored sitting in the plane and usually falls asleep in the back, waking up occasionally to find out how long more until we arrive.

Since I enjoy spending a day bimbling about with nowehere specfiic as a destination (which she simply does not see the point in), I began to feel guilty when I would suggest a day in the weekend when I wanted to go flying. So I found a solution. Her passion has always be boats and yachts. So we found a nice school near our house where she can spend all day on the water learning to sail, while I can spend all day in the air flying. At the end of the day, we share a few glasses of wine sharing stories of each others days, and now we both have hobbies which the other can share but each in the capacity of passenger :-)

Thankfully, there are many good inexpensive sailing schools here in the Netherlands. Would shudder to think how much sailing lessons would cost in my native Ireland where it really is a "posh person's" hobby.

Charlie Foxtrot India
23rd Jul 2009, 14:40
My hubby has a CPL (I taught him to fly from scratch) but I am the one who flies professionally. He has a "real" job in aviation so we can have a house, food etc.

We don't fly well together now...I have 10X his hours so I reckon that makes me right but hey...:ugh:

IO540
23rd Jul 2009, 15:17
That FBO Hotties site is hilarious - somehow I think it would not last long online in the UK :)

chevvron
23rd Jul 2009, 16:50
Oi'll get me boat.

betterfromabove
23rd Jul 2009, 21:42
Has anyone seen the ratio of ladies to men at most flying clubs?!? Where's AOPA when you need them?!?

Keep putting "pilot/PPL/angeline jolie's younger sister/flying instructor when not flying 747 right seat" into the online dating sites (alongside the usual demands) in the keyword search, but nothing come up yet.

MartinCh
23rd Jul 2009, 22:35
IO, glad to have helped. I came across this website somewhere here or elsewhere..
We could try, though. What's wrong with that? I know there's one commercial website for aviation dating, can't remember, it used to advertise on PPRuNe. But something less of a registration/fee required stuff.

BTW, there's one PG, PPG, HG, PHG, UL (=ML) website. Articles, ads, etc. Similar to this one, but pretty much for paragliding and other leisure flying, but mainly in Czech (it being Czech). So not really competition for PPRuNe.
This thread reminded me the 'dating' section called acquaintance (aye, very loose sense, friends or MORE meaning, I guess).
SkyFly Dating and Friends (http://www.skyfly.cz/seznamke.htm)
One can choose pilot looking for pilotess or vice versa :p
Even, for girl that's interested in being friends or dating pilot or anything along that line, not strictly flyers meeting flyers only.

The only catch is that it's in Czech for Czech Rep. Use Google Translate :E
Damn, since I touched down (not myself, just SLF in B737), I haven't seen ugly girl/woman much. Former Czechoslovakia is full of beautiful ladies.
Even the owner of the restaurant at this airport/field where I'm now for some gliding, has aviation studies student, finishing her PPL for starters. Aviation running in bloodline. Her daddy is free flyer (glider pilot).

ShyTorque
23rd Jul 2009, 23:26
Whirls - are you certain it's not just the banjo music? :p

flyingfemme
24th Jul 2009, 08:33
Met my Beloved at flight school in the USA - been married 19 years. He has 10x my hours but I do most of his flight planning etc :) We are both independant and enjoy time apart. My sort of flying isn't really to his taste but we'll both have a go at anything with wings or wheels so it generally works out......

CMDR114
24th Jul 2009, 11:46
I spent a year convincing my wife to do a safety pilots course and she enjoyed the flying so much she went on to complete her PPL. It serves me right, now I only get to log half the flying hours I used to. :hmm:

Dan Winterland
24th Jul 2009, 17:17
Mrs W was one of my students!

AfricanEagle
24th Jul 2009, 21:10
My wife was heroic, came flying with me, acted as navigator in a couple of air rallys, even camped under the wing but didn't have the passion of flight.

My new companion is higher rated than me, has her own aeroplane and we spend every weekend flying.

Paradise, one would say.

Yes, even if we fight for who is to be pic, who is to do the landing, who gets to fly the longest leg, we criticze each other's technique, how to best navigate, who's turn to wash the aeroplane, how to check the oil, the best way to tie down ... but we have great fun together:)

Jumbo Driver
25th Jul 2009, 09:35
... the best way to tie down ... but we have great fun together:)

Yeesss ... I think I'm getting the drift ... :ok:

JD
;)

Viola
26th Jul 2009, 18:43
I love flying.

My husband does not.

Never any problems - we have some interests the same and some different.

I've seen all sorts of single women pair up with someone through flying. But as has been said, they haven't been VERY independent minded, 'forceful' women.

ChrisVJ
26th Jul 2009, 19:29
1960's
Yes, I just love green vegetables
Yes, I just love quiet weekends at home.
No, It doesn't matter if the house isn't renovated by Monday.
No, I don't like eating out much,
Yes I'd love to come flying with you.

2000's
I never liked vegetables and I'm not going to make them if the kids won't eat them.
I just want to go away for this (another) weekend, that's not asking much is it?
You've done nothing for, oh twenty minutes, this house will never be finished, will it?
We haven't been out for three days so I've booked. . . . . .
What? Go up in that thing? You must be joking. Off you run dear, your life insurance is up to date isn't it?

IO540
26th Jul 2009, 21:34
The above is really accurate.

People expect so much more out of relationships today. Perfection, in many cases.

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2009, 21:59
People expect so much more out of relationships todayNo, women expect more now out of a relationship; men expect what they've always expected.

Make of that what you will :}

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlybird
27th Jul 2009, 07:23
IO540,
I don't follow your train of thought; care to explain?

cats_five
27th Jul 2009, 08:44
No, men expect more as well. There has been an increasing trend to many more men thinking they deserve a 'trophy wife' and ditching their partner of say 20 yearsand the mother of their children in favour of a much younger model, and often a second family.

There is also an increasing number of men going to places like the Phillipines for an attractive young wife who will be the sort of wife British women were 50 or more years ago. Women who will put them first all the time, cook, clean, massage their egos and so on. Men who complain that western women treat them like equals not gods. Insecure and inadequte men in other words.

IO540
27th Jul 2009, 08:47
Didn't there used to be a forum here, years ago, where people discussed their marriage / relationship issues? I think the postings are still there, in that one can find it by looking at somebody's very old posts, but one cannot get to it from the main forum list.

I don't agree that men have not changed - at least among the higher earning group; a typical 40+ bloke has already got one divorce under his belt and is not a complete mug. We have a lot more couples today where both have their own careers and interests. Hopefully their interests intersect somewhere...

There is also an increasing number of men going to places like the Phillipines for an attractive young wife who will be the sort of wife British women were 50 or more years ago. Women who will put them first all the time, cook, clean, massage their egos and so on

Men who import wives from those places are in for a mega shock. These women are initially submissive but the moment they have their passport etc they become very assertive - just as they naturally are in their native countries, where they run the entire household, finance and all, while their husbands sit around in cafes, pretending to be macho with "cor, give 'er one" at every bird walking past :)

Rodent1982
27th Jul 2009, 09:44
Is there a need for a uk aviation dating site? I'm seriously considering developing one. :hmm:

IO540
27th Jul 2009, 10:09
I don't think so.

Years ago, I looked at internet dating as a business.

On the face of it, it is easy money. IT-wise it is trivial. You could run the whole op from a spare bedroom with a 2mbit DSL line (£5k/year these days??) and a half decent PC/server. In fact, not even that; you would get it hosted for relative peanuts. The database structure is easy. The site design takes a bit of work (unless you want to be clever) but standard stuff nowadays.

If you can get say 100k blokes (most UK sites are a lot bigger than that today) to pay £20 each for a year's membership, you have £2M/year coming in. From that you subtract advertising...

The huge problem is getting women to join up, and without loads of female profiles to browse (for free) few men will pay to join so they send them messages.

I very strongly suspect that when the business started in the UK ~ 10 years ago, most of the then sites started by generating thousands of fictitious female profiles, age 25-35, slim, looking for a "casual" relationship. Most women don't put up a picture anyway, so this would work (it was pretty obvious in some sites), and as you get going you can clear out the fake ones.

Now (not having looked at it for 6 years - honest ;) ) it is very mainstream and dominated by big names who spend bundles on advertising in conventional media, sponsorships, you name it. While I think one could still do a good scam and walk off with a million or so, enough to buy a used TBM700, I doubt one could enter the market now.

The GA market would be a very thin place to fish, IMHO. Many years ago, well pre-internet, a business called Dateline tried the "anorak desperate men" approach by advertising in motorcycle and computer mags. I spoke to somebody there about it... sure they got loads of blokes to sign up but the women complained about the poor quality of the dates they were getting :) As the joke goes...

A pilot goes on a date. Halfway through he says "now, enough talking about planes; let's talk about ME".

effortless
27th Jul 2009, 10:53
My missus gets more hours than me.:rolleyes:

AC-DC
27th Jul 2009, 13:39
My wife is a (lapsed) PPL. We fly together to all places, she likes to fly for a purpos while I enjoy an hour in the air.

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jul 2009, 20:36
Otherwise...well, how many of you would tolerate a partner who might appear to the world as more interesting than you? However little it mattered to her?
No problem ...

... provided of course I continued to get the free helicopter rides after marriage.

Whirlybird
28th Jul 2009, 07:32
The GA market would be a very thin place to fish, IMHO.

I think the site Love Air is still around. Though it's anything to do with aviation, not just GA.