PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel in Wiltshire?

Mirage962
20th Jul 2009, 15:42
Hi, just a quick question for you all...

Does anyone know of any tailwheel a/c for hire in the Wiltshire/Hampshire area of the UK? Preferably within a 45 minute drive of Salisbury. I've been looking around and the only one I can find is the CAP10 at Old Sarum; slightly expensive for me, unfortunately... I'm aware there used to be a Cub at Thruxton but this seems to have gone now.

DBisDogOne
20th Jul 2009, 17:00
What about Goodwood? That's less than an hour from you. I think they do it there but it'll probably be a similar price to what Sarum is now (ie: a bit pricey!). Have a look at their website.

If you want to go further afield and do it as a course, Clacton Aero Club (Essex) do a good 5hr course in a really nice Cub for about £700.

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jul 2009, 17:01
If you don't mind a microlight, this (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=12847&imid=0) is well within your 45 minutes of Salisbury and will give you lots of cheap taildragger time.

Or for another good value (if not quite as cheap) share, there's always something at Popham (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=13165&imid=0).

G

Crash one
20th Jul 2009, 19:16
Don't know about hire but there is/was an Emeraude for sale LAA magazine July in Wiltshire, Keevil I think.

Mirage962
20th Jul 2009, 19:25
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Money is a bit of an issue at the moment, as I'm a student about to start University...so the perfect scenario would be to find a relatively cheap tailwheel a/c, something like a Cub, to hire, to give me a bit of a new challenge in flying, as I'm currently paying £130+ an hour to fly a PA28. However I'm beginning to think I might have to keep dreaming for a bit longer..!
Thanks again for all your help though :ok:

XXPLOD
20th Jul 2009, 21:28
The Cub at Western Air is long gone. I'd recommend a visit to Popham, there's a handful of quite cheap shares in tail draggers on the notice board, although I'm not sure about rental.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jul 2009, 07:21
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Money is a bit of an issue at the moment, as I'm a student about to start University...so the perfect scenario would be to find a relatively cheap tailwheel a/c, something like a Cub, to hire, to give me a bit of a new challenge in flying, as I'm currently paying £130+ an hour to fly a PA28. However I'm beginning to think I might have to keep dreaming for a bit longer..!
Thanks again for all your help though :ok:

Which university?

(But without waiting for an answer, it seems to me that a cheap microlight syndicate like the Thruster, or a gliding club - although I can't offhand think of one that close to Salisbury, might be the best way to find new challenges without breaking the bank during your studies.)

G

Mirage962
21st Jul 2009, 10:54
Hopefully it'll be Imperial College London, but depending on A level results it may be Bristol.. Either way I'll probably carry on flying in the Salisbury area. There is a gliding club in the Bristol area which sounds very tempting, but I'd also like to keep up the powered flying if I can.

Cpt_Pugwash
21st Jul 2009, 14:02
Mirage,
The Bath Wilts & North Dorset Gliding Club (http://www.bwnd.co.uk) fly from The Park, near Kingston Deverill, which is within easy reach of Salisbury. Also, Bannerdown Gliding Club (http://bannerdown.co.uk) operate from Keevil, just up the A36/A350 from Salisbury.

DeeCee
21st Jul 2009, 15:56
You might try Brimpton?

airborne_artist
21st Jul 2009, 17:09
Hopefully it'll be Imperial College London, but depending on A level results it may be Bristol.. Join a UAS, perhaps, in which case it'll be Benson or Colerne, I think? Daughter #2 has a deferred conditional place at Bristol, her first choice.

Both Imperial and Bristol have their own SU gliding clubs.

sjeh
21st Jul 2009, 17:25
Join a UAS, perhaps, in which case it'll be Benson or Colerne, I think? Daughter #2 has a deferred conditional place at Bristol, her first choice.

Oxford UAS fly from Benson, but ULAS fly from Wyton, I think. Bristol UAS fly from Colerne.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2009, 11:06
Hopefully it'll be Imperial College London, but depending on A level results it may be Bristol.. Either way I'll probably carry on flying in the Salisbury area. There is a gliding club in the Bristol area which sounds very tempting, but I'd also like to keep up the powered flying if I can.

I'd strongly advise keeping your social life, including your flying, as close to the university as possible (I speak both as an ex student, and somebody who has been a university lecturer - you'll damage the university experience badly by doing lots back at home). If you're likely to be at IC, then look at the Imperial College gliding club who fly from Lasham, or if you can get in London UAS who fly from Bensen even better.

If neither of those work out, there are various flying clubs around London, also, few are very cheap. The best bet for cheap flying is probably Popham - various inexpensive syndicates and rental aeroplanes there (Ppruner "Irv" is the best chap for current knowledge) which is a long walk or short cycle from Micheldever Station, which is an easy train ride out from the centre of London.

G

airborne_artist
23rd Jul 2009, 11:39
you'll damage the university experience badly by doing lots back at home

Totally correct - but bear in mind that my daughter, at Liverpool, finished exams in the third week of May this year, and returns around the 28th September....

Arclite01
23rd Jul 2009, 14:24
Just a quick question about your original post - why do you think that renting a Cub is any cheaper than renting any other aircraft ??

I never paid any less for the Cub than I did for a 152.................

Just a thought.........

cheers

Arc

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2009, 15:36
Just a quick question about your original post - why do you think that renting a Cub is any cheaper than renting any other aircraft ??

I never paid any less for the Cub than I did for a 152.................

Just a thought.........

cheers

Arc

The OP said he was looking for a cheaper taildragger than a CAP-10, which I'd certainly expect a cub to be.

G

Mirage962
23rd Jul 2009, 16:37
The OP said he was looking for a cheaper taildragger than a CAP-10, which I'd certainly expect a cub to be.

That's the idea, I'd like to hire a tailwheel aeroplane but the CAP10 is a bit out of the price range. I was happy enough flying PA28s until a friend introduced me to the world of tailwheel aeroplanes... (and I'm a she, by the way ;))

I'd strongly advise keeping your social life, including your flying, as close to the university as possible

I'll be living in university halls of residence, but I'll be coming home every few weekends to visit the family etc, so may combine that with some flying.
Out of interest, how would the UAS treat someone who already has a PPL? They seem to be based on flying training, from what I've read, so would there also be an opportunity to hire the aircraft?

Thanks again :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2009, 18:01
The UAS will treat you as what you'll be, an RAF volunteer reserve officer cadet - adventurous training, officer training, and flying training. The PPL will be taken as a sign that you're serious about aviation, and whilst you'll go through all of the syllabus you can expect to go through the first chunk very very quickly and probably be on aeros within a few sorties.

The aircraft are military assets shared between the UAS and AEF organisations - there will be absolutely no opportunity for you to hire them privately.

Apologies for getting your gender wrong. When I was a university lecturer, one of my best students (and also a very good pilot according to the OC of her UAS) was also a she, so I should know better.

G

airborne_artist
23rd Jul 2009, 18:32
Out of interest, how would the UAS treat someone who already has a PPL? They seem to be based on flying training, from what I've read, so would there also be an opportunity to hire the aircraft?

Genghis is a bit behind the times - not all flying is now done with a QFI, and there is now less flying, and I'm not sure if there's even any solo, PPL or not. Go to the stickie on thestudentroom to find out more. UAS objectives are much more about personal development through a mix of activities including adventure training, for example, and no longer is it a flying club with a good bar/social life attached!

glider12000
23rd Jul 2009, 20:56
Definately going the University Gliding society. We are extremely active and have some great week get togethers. (1st of August for our next one). You`ll possibly get a chance to tug, which = free flying.

As the good people of pprune suggest try the UAS. Best of luck for uni.