PDA

View Full Version : Search for missing CHL helicopter - Quebec

albatross
20th Jul 2009, 08:50
A long way away in a not so good place.

One of my old stamping grounds -

I just hope and pray it all turns out OK

Sorry I misspelled Kangirsuk on the map.

Missing helicopter sparks Quebec search (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/07/18/missing-helicopter.html)

Missing helicopter sparks Quebec search

Last Updated: Saturday, July 18, 2009 | 8:25 PM ET

A search is underway in northern Quebec for a helicopter that did not arrive at its destination.

The helicopter owned by Canadian Helicopters left Kangirsuk Friday night with two men on board, Capt. Mike Robert of Canadian Forces Base Trenton said.

The helicopter was supposed to land in Kangiqsujuaq about an hour later to refuel, but never showed up.

Both communities are on the Ungava Peninsula in northern Quebec, several hundred kilometres south of Iqaluit, Nunavut.

Two Hercules transports and a Cormorant helicopter have been searching ever since, but so far rescuers haven't found anything, Robert said.

He said the search terrain is "pretty rugged" with steep valleys and temperatures at night dipping to 5 C or lower.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/midcanada/HeliSearch.jpg

djrick31
21st Jul 2009, 14:53
Any other news for the missing helicopter north of Qc. ???

I've heard it was a 206 .

flyheli
21st Jul 2009, 16:26
A Long Ranger equipped with fixed floats, 407 ELT, SAT tracking... still hoping for good news.

djrick31
21st Jul 2009, 19:06
Yes we all hope we will hear good news , cross fingers !

They said the weather that day wasn't that great, anyways will wait more infos ..

Djrick31

wde
23rd Jul 2009, 20:17
The missing aircraft has been located approximately 45 miles south of Kangiqsujuaq in northern Quebec. The two persons on board, a pilot and an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer are both confirmed deceased.

RIP

BartBandy
23rd Jul 2009, 22:47
:(
RIP boys.

albatross
24th Jul 2009, 00:17
Sad news indeed.

bb in ca
24th Jul 2009, 04:30
Very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with their family and friends.

If someone knows there names could you please PM me. I used to work at CHL.

bb in ca

djrick31
24th Jul 2009, 12:14
Sad news, very very sad news, our prayers is with their family and friends.

Anywone knows if they crash in water, and also if it was an engine problems ?

Any news will help us to understand

again it's very very sad to hear that .

Peace

albatross
25th Jul 2009, 08:22
Missing Quebec helicopter crashed, 2 dead (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/07/24/missing-chopper-found-quebec072409.html)

Missing Quebec helicopter crashed, 2 dead
Last Updated: Friday, July 24, 2009 | 11:30 PM ET
The Canadian Press
A helicopter missing in the northern Quebec territory of Nunavik has been found upside down in a ravine with both its occupants dead, authorities said Friday.

Searchers located the helicopter Thursday afternoon, said Capt. Mark Peebles, the public affairs officer for the search and rescue centre at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in eastern Ontario.

Two men were on board the helicopter, which is owned by Canadian Helicopters. Their names were not released but one is from Gander, Nfld., was in his mid-30s and employed by the helicopter company.

The helicopter had been missing since last Friday.

It was reported missing after leaving Kangirsuk, an Inuit village on the west coast of Ungava Bay, on the north shore of the Payne River.

It did not arrive as expected at a refuelling station in Kangirsujjuaq, located about 200 kilometres north of Kangirsuk.