PDA

View Full Version : Senheiser headsets.

vitalikroslakov
20th Jul 2009, 08:37
Hi guys,
I'm thinking in buying Senheiser headsets for flying in cessna/piper.
What are you think about these variants:
1. Sennheiser HME 25KA-2 Passive Headset
2. Sennheiser HME 46-V-K Passive Headset
What can you advise?

Thanks in advise.

Jofm5
20th Jul 2009, 21:33
I have the ANR version of the 25KA, I found that they are good in a PA-28 if you have the ANR switched on but too noisey with it switched off as they dont enclose the ear as are more geared towards commercial pilot use. The other down side with these is they do not have a volume control.

Fitter2
20th Jul 2009, 22:23
In noisy aircarft (and I class Lycoming/Continental SEP as noisy) you have the choice of light and relatively expensive ANR or heavier and moderately high clamping force passive to give decent performance.

You need to be up in the Lightspeed Zulu/Bose price tag area to be really good and light. They are worth it if you are going to be flying a lot of hours, and long flights.

What is your hearing worth to you (or going to be like in twenty years time?)

In any case, make sure you try on your selected choice for a decent length of flight - a good pilot shop will let you borrow a demo set (if you leave your credit card number in case you don't come back).

vitalikroslakov
21st Jul 2009, 06:45
Hello again,
thanks a much for information.
Yesterday I also find a Bose aviation Headsets, read some reviews – a lot of people says that they are really good, especially ANR
What are you think – original Bose stores gives their headsets for test?
Maybe someone had experience of using headsets from Bose?

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jul 2009, 07:30
Hello again,
thanks a much for information.
Yesterday I also find a Bose aviation Headsets, read some reviews – a lot of people says that they are really good, especially ANR
What are you think – original Bose stores gives their headsets for test?
Maybe someone had experience of using headsets from Bose?

Expensive, fragile, but when they work very very good in most cockpit environments - light, comfortable, with superb noise attenuation.

G

DB6
21st Jul 2009, 07:31
Do a search for headsets on these forums - there are lots of opinions about different ones for different aircraft.
From what I know - the headsets you mention are supra-aural (sit on top of your ears, don't enclose them). Neither would be any good for Cessnas/Pipers. If you want a Sennheiser you would need the ANR version of the 25 (I think the HMEC - 25KA), which is very light but probably still too noisy. The best Sennheiser for your needs would be the HME 100, or if you want ANR, the HMEC 350 or 450. These headsets surround your ear and block out a lot of hiss/air noise - which ANR sets don't do very well, and in the case of the 350/450, have ANR as well - good for blocking low frequencies (engine/prop noise).
The Bose is quite good but I found it no good for hiss/air noise, the David Clark X-11 is rubbish (although most other DCs are good) and the Lightspeed Zulu is like the Bose but with bluetooth connection for telephone/MP3 etc. The Telex Stratus 50-D is VERY quiet but heavy and tight on the head.
I found the best all round to be the Sennheiser HMEC-450, however all the ANR sets mentioned cost a lot ($500-$1000), but the passive ones are cheaper (e.g. Sennheiser HME-100 about £200). Most if not all manufacturers or retailers will allow you to return the headsets within about a month for a full refund if you don't like them (which I did with the DC X-11s), and I think Bose will allow you to try them out before buying - but not sure if that covers Latvia!

vitalikroslakov
21st Jul 2009, 07:45
Thank you for so detailed answer.
In Latvia – yes, I also think so, but I'm arriving in Orlando at August for at least 7 month – so, I think I'll have time to find there pilot shop which can first give headsets for test.

Delta Oscar Charlie
27th Aug 2009, 22:46
I use the Sennheiser 450 and find them really good with or without the ANR on(obviously better with it on) Loaned hem to a fiend who uses BOSE in his aircraft and he said while a little heavier they work better. They don't have all the gadgets the Lightspeed or Bose have but I don't need those.. If you want them however the HMEC 460 has them is lighter and is cheaper..

trex450
28th Aug 2009, 13:51
I have used the HMEC 100 in cessnas and even in an Islander and found it very good. Not so in the noisy Islander but perfectly adequate in a single. The only problem I came across was that the headset band has metal fatigue issues but can be crossed with a peltor headband if you can source a spare one. The ANR versions by senheisser are excellent but expensive and in a 172/PA28 the passive headsets are just fine.