PDA

View Full Version : Pictures truncated on web pages

WHBM
19th Jul 2009, 07:27
Here's a problem I have with web pages from all sources (PPRuNe and others, although by no means every website) which contain photographs, maps and other graphics.

All the text comes over fine but the graphics are truncated horizontally before they are fully displayed. Sometimes 50% missing, sometimes 90%. Multiple graphics on the same page can be a mixture, some displayed properly, others not. The space left is just white space, so a photo can be part displayed, then a white space down to its caption.

I don't get this with my laptop connected directly to the network at my office, only when using the Vodafone 3G card I use for access outside there, so I feel it must be a feature of the configuration of this in some way. I also don't recall getting it when I first got the 3G card, only more recently.

Always truncated at the same place, so F5 or even running another IE session will do the same thing.

I wonder if anyone can identify this situation, and even better suggest a solution.

Jofm5
19th Jul 2009, 07:37
It sounds like to me you have set a restriction on the bandwidth (or to be more precise the data allowance) you are using.

For example if your on a pay as you go 3g dongle you may not wish to download anything more than 64k in size, so it will download the first 64k of the picture and render that in the space expected for the whole graphic.

It is not unusual to do this if you are paying a high premium for the data your using - have you switched bandwidth saving or a similar setting on.

Usually in these situations you can right click on the graphic and select download full - if it is something of interest.

Its normally there to prevent you running up a huge data bill.

WHBM
19th Jul 2009, 09:44
I'm sure it's something along those lines but I can't see it. The 3G tariff is a corporate one and completely unrestricted. I've just looked at the bandwidth settings and can't see anything in there.

I don't have a right-click option that is anything like download images - is this enabled somehow ?

Jofm5
19th Jul 2009, 10:25
It would be in the control settings for your modem that will be in the app window when you dial.