PDA

View Full Version : Not the usual "I need an advice" thread.

Capt.CityHunter
19th Jul 2009, 01:01
Apologize in advance for my english.
Hi, I'm 24 and i'm going to get my bachelor degree in a coupe of months.
After that, i will start my flight training.
My big question is that i'm really wavering about a terrible choice i have in front of me:
aeroplane or helicopter!
I do really love both of it. And i'm really undecided.
I know that this choice is not just about the way i will fly, but also the life i'll do, the pay i'll earn, and so on.
Last but not least it comes the financial crisis that minimize the jobs, and you got the entire picture.
I am available to go everywhere the job is, no problem at all.
I also already know where to do the flight training (both options).
In the fixed wing training after the 250 instructional hours i would be on the market, rather than the helicopter training, that assure me an istructional job until I have 1200 - 1500 piston hours at least.
Where are more chanches to be employed as a low hours-pilot?
Anybody else in my same position?

So i only would know, all considered, what advice would you give to me (and why?).

Thanks in advice
City Hunter

JEM60
19th Jul 2009, 06:45
No need to apologise for your English, Cityhunter. It's a damn sight better
than many native speakers.!!!!!!!
In my opinion, if God meant helicopters to fly, he would have given them proper wings........................ Good luck.

L'aviateur
19th Jul 2009, 07:08
Have you had a trial lesson in both yet?

Capt.CityHunter
19th Jul 2009, 07:50
Have you had a trial lesson in both yet?

In an aircraft yes, in helicopter I will in a couple of weeks,
but like I said, i think it's not just about the way I'll fly, but the life I'll conduct, the pay, the roster...
how can i decide? :{

ReverseFlight
19th Jul 2009, 09:57
City Hunter, your career progression will really depend on where you have working rights. In the US there are many helicopter operators but Asia there are very few commercial operators and these tend to employ their own citizens. In order to increase your chances, go for the markets which have the larger number of operators to increase your chances of employment after training.

Often rookie helicopter pilots will cut their teeth doing scenic flights. You are correct in saying that the helicopter training market in some countries is not for lower-houred pilots (Australia is a good example) but in the US traditionally a lot of newbies build hours from the day they obtain their CFI/CFII. However you will note that in slower economic times, even countries with large numbers of operators may see job openings dry up and therefore the traditional route of moving up a much harder task.

Just my 2 cents worth as a holder of both FW and RW CPLs.

Capt.CityHunter
19th Jul 2009, 10:33
I have the right to work and live only in Europe...
But I will do my training in the Us.
Just for curiosity, do you start your training as helicopter pilot, or as aircraft pilot?

Technically, if i have a Cpl Ir Me in fixed wing, can i do the Cpl add-on on rotary wing, or i have to restart everything from Ppl?

And what if i have fAtpl (A) and i want to convert in fAtpl (H)?

Thanks

Whirlygig
19th Jul 2009, 11:21
From a rotary perspective, a US FAA CPL(H) is pretty useless in Europe; you would have to convert to JAA so you need to look at the conversion process. There are some schools in US which do JAA licences but not IR; that has to be done in JAA airspece. And it ain't cheap. As a rough guide, in Europe, a helicopter flight hour is at least double, if not three times that of fixed wing.

Helicopter pilots are generally not paid as well as fixed wing and there are fewer openings for low-houred pilots. Helicopter instructors though, are paid more than fixed wing instructors but, again, there are very few openings in Europe at the moment.

You don't need to fly fixed wing before you fly helicopters and flying both will not make you any more employable. If you're thinking that learning fixed wing and converting across to rotary, you will need to budget the costs carefully in order to see if it's cheaper; unlikely in Europe.

As for lifestyle, it would depend on the helicopter role, but a lot of helicopter pilots do get to sleep in their own bed at night unless they are working foreign contracts which would typically be four weeks on/four weeks off.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - mostly written from a UK perspective from someone who have never flown a fixed wing aircraft. :ok:

ReverseFlight
20th Jul 2009, 04:29
Whirlygig is right on the money. To the best of my knowledge, in most countries if you ultimately want to fly RW, it costs more in total to learn FW first and then convert over to RW, although you should get some credit hours upon conversion, depending on the jurisdiction, so you don't have to start at PPL all over again.

Nellie
20th Jul 2009, 08:48
Capt CH, As an old geezer who has done FW and RW, might I suggest a JAA fixed wing licence as your first step, followed (finances permitting) by the rotary wing licence. Most of the ground studies are common and this would probably be the simplestest route to follow. A few GA companies and corporate operators run both FW and RW and one of the most enjoyable jobs I've had, was operating a mix of both for a UK Company. Best of luck whichever you choose.

Whirlygig
20th Jul 2009, 11:38
A few GA companies and corporate operators run both FW and RW A very few. Whilst holding both (A) and (H) would make you more employable by the very few operators who do both, it does seem to be rather an unnecessary expense when most operators do one or the other.

In addition, there aren't many of those operators who are prepared to keep a pilot current on both the biz jet and the corporate helicopter! Even for those few, you'll end up being either the fixed wing pilot or the heli pilot. I can only think of one operator who has pilots who do both.

Sorry Nellie, it may have been good for you but, in this day and age, I don't think it's good advice to offer to someone who doesn't have infintely deep pockets. Yes, many of the exams are common but since theory exams are the cheapest element of learning to fly, that's not really a major factor.

Capt. City Hunter, I would recommend making a decision and sticking with it! I will say though, that if you're making a decision with your head, then you are destined to be fixed wing; if you're making the decision with your heart, then you'll follow the rotary route (mainly because no sane person would do that! :}). Your trial lessons in each should you decide.

Cheers

Whirls

rotor wash
20th Jul 2009, 14:37
The offshore pilots for companies like Bond, Bristow, CHC seem to have an alright deal (perhaps not so if you look at the CHC thread in rotorheads).

I believe most are on an equal time roster, entry level co-pilot salaries are around the £40k mark. Not to forget the awesome hardware you get your hands on ...... AS332L, AS332L2, EC225, S92.

Correct me if I am wrong (as I have never done it) but is landing on a vessel at night that is heaving, rolling and pitching on the limits not up there as one of the most challenging parts of line flying a pilot can encounter.

Sounds like a truly challenging and rewarding job!

........ then of course it will cost you circa £100k to get there!!